Total views : 221
On the Suitability of Phase Change Material (PCM) for Thermal Management of Electronic Components
Objectives: To review the suitability of Phase Change Material (PCM) for the thermal management of electronic components. Methods/analysis: Day by day, physical world has been changing to digital world by involving electronic components such as computers, digital meters, smart phones, high sensitive sensors, high precision devices etc. One of the important issues pertaining to smooth running of electronic components is their thermal management. Electronic components generate heat during operation and this heat has to be driven out to safeguard the equipment. Researchers have proposed various methods such as heat sinks, nano-fluids, micro-channels etc to reduce and dissipate heat from the components. The requirement for the usage of miniaturization of electronic components has further increased the complexity to effectively dissipate the heat from the confined space of these electronic components. Various techniques provide their own set of benefits and trade-offs for thermal management of electronics to reduce operating temperatures, dissipate excess heat and long-term reliability. The present study aims to address the usage of PCMs with their advantages and disadvantages for the thermal management of electronic components. Findings: PCM based heat sinks can be an alternative technique for effective dissipation of heat and maintain safer temperature range for the electronic devices. Novelty/improvement: The study provides an insight about the applicability of PCM especially for the thermal management of electronic components such as computer processors, IC boards etc. to maintain with in maximum allowable temperature range. Based on the study it can be suggested that the usage of PCM can satisfy the present demand of cooling system.
Electronic Components, Heat Dissipation, Heat Sink, Phase Change Materials, Thermal Management.
- Alawadhi EM, Amon CH. Performance analysis of an enhanced PCM thermal control unit. In: Proceedings of the seventh intersociety conference on thermal and thermo-mechanical phenomena in electronic systems, IEEE-ITherm; 2000. p. 283–9.
- Hosseinizadeh SF, Tan FL, Moosania SM. Experimental and numerical studies on performance of PCM-based heat sink with different configurations of internal fins. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2011; 31:3827–38.
- Kandasamy R, Wan XQ, Mujumdar AS. Application of phase change materials in thermal management of electronics.Applied Thermal Engineering. 2007; 27:2822–32.
- Abhat AG, Beghi D. Low temperature latent heat thermal storage. Institute for Environmental Protection and Research (ISPRA) course on energy systems and technology, Reidel Publishing Co., Holland; 198. p. 33–91.
- Henze R, Humphery J. Enhanced heat conduction in phase-change thermal energy storage devices. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2000; 43:2245–56.
- Khan Z, Khan Z, Ghafoor A. A review of performance enhancement of PCM based latent heat storage system within the context of materials, thermal stability and compatibility.Energy Conversion and Management. 2016;115:132–58.
- Kumar RS, Jayakrishna D, Salunkhe PB. Investigations of heat storage materials for a temperature range of 50˚C to 100˚C. International Journal of Conceptions on Mechanical and Civil Engineering. 2013; 1:53–7.
- Kumar RS, Krishna DJ. Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) Analysis of latent heat storage materials for low temperature (40-80˚C) solar heating applications. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 2013; 2:429–55.
- Kandasamy R, Wan XQ, Mujumdar AS. Transient cooling of electronics using Phase Change Material (PCM)-based heat sinks. Applied Thermal Energy. 2008; 28(8–9):1047– 57.
- Baby R, Balaji C. Experimental investigations on phase change material based finned heat sinks for electronic equipment cooling. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2012; 55:1642–9.
- Baby R, Balaji C. Thermal performance of a PCM heat sink under different heat loads: An experimental study.International Journal of Thermal Sciences. 2014; 79:240–9.
- Baby R, Balaji C. Thermal optimization of PCM based pin fin heat sinks: An experimental study. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2013; 54:65–77.
- Baby R, Balaji C. Experimental investigations on thermal performance enhancement and effect of orientation on porous matrix filled PCM based heat sink. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer. 2013; 46:27– 30.
- Bauer C, Wirtz R. Thermal characteristics of a compact, passive thermal energy storage device. In the Proceedings of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE), Orlando, USA; 2000.
- Velraj R, Seeniraj RV, Hafner B, Faber C, Schwarzer K. Heat transfer enhancement in a latent heat storage system. Solar Energy. 1999; 65(3):171–80.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.