Total views : 217
Image Compression and Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks – A Survey
Objectives: Wireless Multimedia Sensor Network (WMSN) is a fast emerging technology, which can deal with audio, image and video along with scalar data. WMSN is widely used for many applications like wildlife monitoring, medical imaging and surveillance. The survey is to investigate the several image compression methods that are intended for WMSN. Methods: Compression techniques are used to minimize the volume of data transmitted, which in turn reduces the sum of communication power and processing power. Any operation performed on multimedia data should be lightweight and so traditional image compression techniques are not suitable. This mandates the growth of new techniques or modification of existing methods to make them suitable for WMSN. Findings: Suitability of the methods is analyzed by the metrics like compression efficiency, processing speed, memory requirement, power consumption, computational load and system complexity. It is found that SPIHT is the most suitable with limitations of moderate memory usage. Distributed Source Coding and Compressive sensing are in the developmental stage and will influence the future vision of image compression in WMSN. Applications: Every method has its own merits and demerits. The one to be chosen is entirely dependent on the application or user needs, the hardware/software platforms used for implementation and the cost constraints. The most desirable algorithm can be chosen and enhancements can be done as per the demands.
Image Compression Algorithms, Memory Requirement, Power Consumption, Wireless Multimedia Sensor Network.
- Zapata MG, Al-Karaki JN, Islam JM, Almalkawi T. Wireless multimedia sensor networks: Current trends and future directions.Sensors. 2010 Jul; 10(7):6662-717.
- Mainwaring A, Polastre J, Szewczyk R, Culler D, Anderson.Wireless sensor networks for habitat monitoring. Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Workshop on WirelessSensor Networks and Applications (WSNA); USA. 2002. p.88-97.
- Zain Eldin H, Elhosseini MA, Ali HA. Image compression algorithms in wireless multimedia sensor networks: A survey.Ain Shams Engineering Journal. 2015 Jun; 6(2):481-90.
- Shamra HS. Image compression techniques. International Journal of Computers and Technology. 2012 Apr; 2(2):4952.
- Bovik AC, Sheikh HR, Simoncelli E, Wang Z. Image quality assessment: From error visibility to structural similarity.IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. 2004 Apr; 13(4):114.
- An overview of lossless digital image compression techniques.2005. Available from: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/ document/1594297/
- Babu PS, Sathappan S. Efficient lossless image compression using modified hierarchical prediction and context adaptive coding. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015 Dec; 8(34):1-6.
- Dhawan S. A review of image compression and comparison of its algorithms. International Journal of Electronics and Communication Technology. 2011 Mar; 2(1):22-6.
- Carreto-Castro MF, Ramirez JM, Ballesteros JL. Comparison of lossless compression techniques. IEEE Circuits and Systems. 1993 Aug; p. 1268-70.
- Sharma M. Compression using Huffman coding. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security.2010 May; 10(5):133-41.
- Li Z, Drew MS, Liu J. Fundamentals of Multimedia. Pearson Education, Inc.; 2004.
- Mammeri A, Hadjou B, Khoumsi A. A survey of image compression algorithms for visual sensor networks. ISRN Sensor Networks. 2012 Oct; p. 1-19.
- MEMSIC, TELOSB Mote Platform. 2013. Available from: http://www.memsic.com/userfiles/files/Datasheets/WSN/ telosb_datasheet.pdf
- Ghorbel O, Ayedi W, Wasim Jmal M, Abid M. DCT and DWT images compression algorithms in wireless sensors networks: Comparative study and performance analysis.International Journal of Wireless and Mobile Networks.2012 Dec; 4(6):45-59.
- Shapiro JM. Embedded image coding using Zero trees of wavelet coefficients. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing.1993 Dec; 41(12):3445-62.
- Taubman D. High performance scalable image compression with EBCOT. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing.2000; 9(7):1158-70.
- Zhang H, Fritts J. EBCOT co-processing architecture for JPEG 2000. Proceedings of the SPIE; 2004 Jan. p. 1333-40.
- Sun Y, Zhang H, Hu G. Real-time implementation of a new low-memory spiht image coding algorithm using DSP chip.IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. 2002; 11(9):11126.
- Gray GA, Robert M. Vector Quantization and Signal Compression.USA: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 1995.
- Linde Y, Buzo A, Gray RM. An algorithm for vector quantizer design. IEEE Transactions on Communications. 1980 Jan; 28(1):84-95.
- Chang-Man X, Zhao-Yang Z. A fast fractal image compression coding method. Journal of Shanghai University. 2001 Mar; 5(1):57-9.
- Lian C, Chen KF, Chen HH, Chen LG. Analysis and Architecture Design of Block-Coding Engine for EBCOT in JPEG 2000. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology. 2003 Mar; 13(3):219–30.
- A Hardware Accelerator IP for EBCOT Tier-1 Coding in JPEG2000 Standard. 2004. Available from: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1359713/
- Aktera M, Reazb MBI, Mohd-Yasina F, Choong F. A modifiedset partitioning in hierarchical trees algorithm for real-time image compression. Journal of Communication Technology and Electronics. 2008 Jun; 53(6):642–550.
- A Modified Listless Strip Based SPIHT for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks. 2015. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0045790615003468
- Dandawate YH, Jadhav TR, Chitre AV, Joshi MA. NeuroWavelet based vector quantizer design for image compression.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009 Oct; 2(10):56-61.
- Comparative analysis of image compression Techniques.1993. Available from: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/ 522833/?tp=andarnumber=522833
- Truong T, Jyh-Horng Jeng, Reed IC, Lee PC, Li AQ. A fast encoding algorithm for fractal image compression using the DCT inner product. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing.2000 Apr; 9(4):529-35.
- Wagner R, Nowak R, Baraniuk R. Distributed image compression for sensor networks using correspondence analysis and super-resolution. International Conference on Image Processing; 2003 Sep; p. 597-600.
- Wu H, Abouzeid A. Energy efficient distributed image compression in resource-constrained multihop wireless networks. Computer Communications. 2005 Sep; 28(14):1658-68.
- Wakin MB, Laska JN, Duarte MF, Baron D. Compressive imaging for video representation and coding. Proceeding of the Picture Coding Symposium. 2006 Apr; p. 1-6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.