Total views : 201
Assessment of Performance of RC Beams Strengthened with Hybrid FRP Laminates using Multivariate Linear Regression Modeling
Objectives: An attempt has been made to suggest regression model for evaluating concrete beams with externally bonded hybrid FRP reinforcement using OriginPro-8.5 software. Methods: Fourteen beam specimens were subjected to monotonic and cyclic loading. The mechanical and geometrical properties of constituent materials such as thickness, tensile strength and elasticity modulus of FRP laminates, and characteristic strength of concrete and characteristic strength of steel were considered as independent variables. The performance parameters such as strength, deformation, ductility, crack history and number of cycles were considered as dependent variables. Findings: After conducting the multivariate linear regression analysis, a fitness of 0.192 to 0.850 and a root mean square error of 0.201 to 8.311 were observed while predicting the performance parameters of test beams under static loading condition. A fitness of 0.477 and a root mean square error of 1.702 were observed while evaluating the test beam specimens under cyclic loading condition. This observation clearly shows the validity of the proposed regression equations for evaluating the test beam specimens under monotonic and cyclic loading. The predicted results and the test results were compared through scatter plots. The predicted results have also been validated with other researcher’s experimental data. Applications: By using this regression equation, the performance of the both unstrengthened and strengthened beams can be assessed without any experimental work.
GFRP; hybrid FRP; linear regression; strengthening.
- Attari N, Amziane S, Chemrouk M. Flexural strengthening of concrete beams using CFRP, GFRP and hybrid FRP sheets. Construction and Building Materials. 2012 Sep; 37(1):746–57. Available from: Crossref
- Hawileh AR, Rasheed AH, Abdalla AJ, Al-Tamimi KA.Behavior of reinforced concrete beams strengthened with externally bonded hybrid fiber reinforced polymer systems. Materials and Design. 2014 Aug; 53(1):972–82. Available from: Crossref
- Demakos BC, Repapis CC, Drivas D. Investigation of structural response of reinforced concrete beams strengthened with anchored FRPs. The Open Construction and Building Technology Journal. 2013 Oct; 7 (1):146–57. Available from: Crossref
- Gopinathan TK, Raghunath PN, Suguna K. Regression model for static and cyclic performance of HSC beams with GFRP laminates. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016 Apr; 9(13):1–7. Available from: Crossref
- Thandavamoorthy TS. Static and fatigue of high-ductility bars reinforced concrete beams. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 1999 Feb; 11(1):41–50. Available from: Crossref
- Kim HS, Shin YS. Flexural behavior of Reinforced Concrete (RC) beams retrofitted with hybrid Fiber Reinforced Polymers (FRPs) under sustaining loads. Composite Structures.2011 Aug; 93(2):802–11. Available from: Crossref
- Shanmugavelu VA, Raghunath PN, Ramachandran N, Suguna K. An experimental study on reinforced concrete beams with FRP laminates. Asian Journal of Applied Sciences.2015 Jun; 3(3): 473–8.
- Shanmugavelu VA, Raghunath PN, Ramachandran N, Suguna N. Experimental and analytical studies on reinforced concrete beams with GFRP laminates. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2016 Feb; 11(3):1950–3.
- Wight JK, Sozen MA. Cyclic response of concrete beams with FRP laminates under load reversals. Journal of Structural Division (ASCE). 2011 Apr; 111 (7):1053–65.
- Scribner CF, Wight JK. Strength decay in reinforced concrete beams under reversal loads. Journal of Structural Division (ASCE). 2010 Aug; 106(5):861–75.
- Darwin D, Nimai CK. Energy dissipation in RC beams under cyclic load. Journal of Structural Engineering. 1986 Aug; 112(8):1829–46. Available from: Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.