Total views : 197
Detection of the Source of the Incipient Faults Produced by Single Phase Inverter using Feed- Forward Back-Propagation Neural Network
With the increasing usage of solar Photovoltaic (PV) system in Malaysia, the condition aspect of solar PV system especially inverter system needs to be given full attention. Detection of faults at earlier stage is very important in order to avoid the extended period of down-time caused by inverter failure. Thus, this paper aims to detect the source of the incipient faults produced by a single phase inverter of a PV system. The incipient faults were generated by modifying the pulse wave control signal. A total of 100 incipient faults and one set of normal condition waveform are collected at the output of the single phase square wave inverter. These waveforms are then used to train the feed-forward backpropagation neural network. One hidden layer feed-forward backpropagation neural network of 9 neurons was trained and MSE of 6.13 × 10-4 was obtained. It was shown that the trained feed-forward backpropagation neural network was able to detect which IGBT of the single phase square wave inverter produced the incipient faults.
Fault Detection, Incipient Faults Detection, Neural Network, PV Inverter, Solar System
- Solangi KH, et. al. Development of solar energy and present policies in Malaysia. Clean Energy and Technology (CET), 2011 IEEE First Conference on. IEEE, 2011.
- Fayaz H, et. al. Solar Energy Policy: Malaysia vs Developed Countries. Clean Energy and Technology (CET), 2011 IEEE First Conference on. IEEE, 2011.
- Falvo MC, Capparella S. Safety Issues in PV Systems: Design Choices for a Secure Fault Detection and for Preventing Fire Risk, Case Studies in Fire Safety. 2015; 3:1−16.
- Silvestre, Santiago, et. al. New Procedure for Fault Detection in Grid Connected PV Systems based on the Evaluation of Current and Voltage Indicators, Energy Conversion and Management. 2014; 86:241−49.
- Tadj, Mohammed, et.al. Improving the Performance of PV Systems by Faults Detection using GISTEL Approach, Energy Conversion and Management; 2014; 80:298−304.
- Chine W, et. al. Fault Detection Method for Grid-Connected Photovoltaic Plants, Renewable Energy. 2014; 66:99−110.
- Tadj, Mohammed, Khalil Benmouiza, Ali Cheknane. An Innovative Method Based on Satellite Image Analysis to Check Fault in a PV System Lead–Acid Batter, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory. 2014; 47:236−47.
- Solórzano J, Egido MA. Automatic Fault Diagnosis in PV Systems with Distributed MPPT, Energy Conversion and Management. 2013; 76:925−34.
- Hu Yihua, et. al. Photovoltaic Fault Detection using a Parameter based Model, Solar Energy. 2013; 96:96−102.
- Bonn Russell H. Developing a next generation PV inverter. Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, Conference Record of the Twenty-Ninth IEEE, IEEE, 2002.
- Cangi Hasan, Suleyman Adak. Analysis of Solar Inverter THD according to PWM’s Carrier Frequency, 2015 International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA). IEEE, 2015.
- Tashakor Nima, et. al. Three-Phase on-Line Uninterruptible Power Supply with Isolated Battery Charger, Electrical Engineering (ICEE), 2016 24th Iranian Conference, IEEE, 2016.
- Calais Martina, et. al. Inverters for Single-Phase Grid Connected Photovoltaic Systems-an Overview. Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pesc 02. IEEE 33rd Annual, 4. IEEE, 2002.
- Kamel Tamer, Yevgen Biletskiy, Liuchen Chang. Fault Diagnosis and On-Line Monitoring for Grid-Connected Single-Phase Inverters, Electric Power Systems Research. 2015; 126:68−77.
- Moura Ailson P, et. al. IMICV Fault Analysis Method with Multiple PV Grid-Connected Inverters for Distribution Systems, Electric Power Systems Research. 2015; 119:119−25.
- Ahmad, Ku Nurul Edhura Ku, Jeyraj Selvaraj, Nasrudin Abd Rahim. A Review of the Islanding Detection Methods in Grid-Connected PV Inverters, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2013; 21:756−66.
- Khomfoi Surin, Leon M Tolbert. Fault Diagnostic System for a Multilevel Inverter using a Neural Network, Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions. 2007; 22(3):1062−69.
- Escobet T, Teresa, et. al. A Methodology for Incipient Fault Detection. Control Applications (CCA), IEEE Conference, IEEE, 2014.
- Chow, Mo-Yuen, Griff L Bilbro, Sui Oi Yee. Application of Learning Theory to a Single Phase Induction Motor Incipient Fault Detector Artificial Neural Network. Neural Networks to Power Systems, Proceedings of the First International Forum on Applications, IEEE, 1991.
- Kandil N, et. al. Fault Identification in an AC-DC Transmission System using Neural Networks, Power Systems, IEEE Transactions. 1992; 7(2):812−19.
- Chow, Mo-Yuen. The Advantages of Machine Fault Detection using Artificial Neural Network and Fuzzy Logic Technologies. Industrial Technology, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference, IEEE, 1994.
- Chow, Mo-Yuen, Sui Oi Yee. Methodology for On-Line Incipient Fault Detection in Single-Phase Squirrel-Cage Induction Motors using Artificial Neural Networks, Energy Conversion, IEEE Transactions. 1991; 6(3):536−45.
- IXYS. High speed IGBT, IXGH/IXGM 40 N60 datasheet, 1996.
- Hart Daniel W. Power Electronics. Tata McGraw-Hill Education, 2011, p. 332.
- Perantonis SJ. Virvilis V. Dimensionality Reduction using a Novel Neural Network based Feature Extraction Method, Neural Networks, IJCNN’99. International Joint Conference, 2, IEEE, 1999.
- Wang, Ling, Jinshou Yu. Fault Feature Selection based on Modified Binary PSO with Mutation and its Application in Chemical Process Fault Diagnosis. International Conference on Natural Computation, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2005.
- Ammar Ahmed, Nasser Al Kahtani. Incipient Fault Identification Using SVM and GAFS through the RF Emission of Air-Condition, Ph.D. dissertation, College of Eng., Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia, 2015.
- Yu L., Liu H. Feature Selection for High-Dimensional Data: A Fastcorrelation-based Filter Solution, ICML. 2003; 3:856–63.
- Kohavi R, John GH. Wrappers for Feature Subset Selection, Artificial intelligence. 1997; 97(1):273–324.
- Math Works, MATLAB User’S. Guide. MathWorks Inc., Sequential Feature Selection, 2008.
- Mohamed, Taha Mahdy. Efficient Breast Cancer Detection using Sequential Feature Selection Techniques, 2015 IEEE Seventh International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Information Systems (ICICIS). IEEE, 2015.
- Liogienë, Tatjana, Gintautas Tamulevièius. SFS Feature Selection Technique for Multistage Emotion Recognition. Information, Electronic and Electrical Engineering (AIEEE), IEEE 3rd Workshop on Advances. IEEE, 2015.
- Zhang, Guoqiang Peter. Neural Networks for Classification: A Survey. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C: Applications and Reviews, IEEE Transactions. 2000; 30(4):451−62.
- Alfred, Rayner. A Genetic-Based Backpropagation Neural Network for Forecasting in Time-Series Data. IEEE Conference Publication, International Conference on Science in Information Technology (ICSITech), p.158−63.
- Wang, Bin, et. al. An Improved Neural Network Algorithm and its Application in Sinter Cost Prediction. Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, WKDD 2009. Second International Workshop, IEEE, 2009.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.