Total views : 209
Inverse Sigmoid-Based X-Ray Image Enhancement
Objectives: The retinex algorithm efficiently recovers image details in the dark regions. That is mainly due to the separation of illumination and reflection in images as well as the logarithm that is similar to the human vision system. However, it fails to recover details in bright regions. This paper proposes a modified approach introducing a new logarithm formula to obtain contrast improvements in both dark and bright regions. Methods/Statistical analysis: The proposed method suggests using the inverse-sigmoid function instead of the log function in the retinex processing as a tone mapping. Findings: In our experimental results on X-ray images, the comparison results clearly demonstrated that our method is superior to the conventional method in the view point of recovering bright regions. Another advantage of our method is that it can be easily extended by adopting the improved frameworks for the retinex algorithms. Improvements/Applications: The proposed method can be used for X-ray image enhancement.
Contrast Enhancement, Inverse-Sigmoid, Image Enhancement, Medical Images, Retinex.
- Janani P, Premaladha J, Ravichandran K. Image enhancement techniques: a study. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(22):1–12.
- Sangeetha M, Nandhitha N. Multilevel thresholding technique for contrast enhancement in thermal images to facilitate accurate image segmentation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(6):1–7.
- Nandhini V, Pratheepa R, Anjana N, Elamaran V. A novel approach for contrast enhancement using image classification and subdivision based histogram equalization. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(29):1–6.
- Hummel R. Image enhancement by histogram transformation.Computer Graphics and Image Processing. 1997; 6(2):184–95.
- Pizer S, Amburn E, Austin J, Cromartie R, Geselowitz A, Greer T, Bomeny B, Zimmerman J, Zuiderveld K. Adaptive histogram equalization and its variations. Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing. 1897; 39(3):355–68.
- Contrast Limited Adaptive Histogram Equalization [Internet].2016 [cited 2016 Dec 8]. Available from: https:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_histogram_equalization.
- Land E, McCann J. Lightness and retinex theory. Journal of Optical Society of America. 1971; 61(1):1–11.
- Jobson D, Rahman Z, Woodell G. Properties and performance of a center/surround retinex. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transaction on Image Processing. 1997; 6(3):451–62.
- Jobson D, Rahman Z, and Woodell G. A Multi-scale retinex for bridging the gap between color images and the human observation of scenes. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transaction on Image Processing. 1997; 6(7):965–76.
- Chen Y, Yeh S, Huang Y, Chang L, Kuo C, Ding H. A regionbased retinex with data filling for the enhancement of electronic partial images. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research. 2013; 709:143–53.
- Ma W, Morel J, Osher S, Chien A. An L1-based variational model for retinex theory and its application to medical images.Proceedings of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2011. p. 153–60.
- Setty S, Srinath N, Hanumantharaju M. Development of Multiscale retinex algorithm for medical image enhancement based on multi-rate sampling. Proceedings of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) International Conference on Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition; 2013. p. 1–6.
- Kimmel R, Elad M, Shaked D, Keshet R, Sobel I. A variational framework for retinex. International Journal of Computer Vision. 2003; 52(1):7–23.
- Meylan L, Süsstrunk S. High dynamic range image rendering with a retinex-based adaptive filter. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transaction on Image Process. 2006; 15(9):2820–30.
- Sun B, He J, Li H. Optimization and application of retinex algorithm in aerial image processing. Proceedings of Society of Photographic Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) Visual Information Processing. 2008; 6978:1–5.
- Elad M. Retinex by two bilateral filters. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 2005; 3459:217–9.
- Tomasi C, Manduchi R. Bilateral filtering for gray and color images. Proceeding of International Conference on Computer Vision; 1998. p. 839–46.
- Sobol R. Improving the retinex algorithm for rendering wide dynamic range photographs. Journal of Electronic Imaging. 2004; 13(1):65–74.
- Wang S, Zheng J, Hu H, Li B. Naturalness preserved enhancement algorithm for non-uniform illumination images.Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transaction on Image Process. 2013; 22(9):3538–48.
- Hao M, Sun X. A modified retinex algorithm based on wavelet transformation. Proceeding of International Conference on Multimedia and Information Technology. 2010; 1:306–9.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.