Total views : 123
Investigation of Flexural Response of Kevlar Composite
Objectives: This work investigates the flexural behaviour of Kevlar composite that are prepared by hand layup method. Methods/Analysis: Hand lay-up is a simple method for composite production. The epoxy resin of LY556 grade and an Araldite HY951 hardener is mixed with correct ratio. Then the Kevlar fiber is placed over the plate and an epoxy resin with a hardener is rolled over the fiber, by continuing which forms the layer by layer as per the requirement. Then after fabrication flexural test is carried out and then SEM analysis has been done to analyze the tested specimen. Findings: When tested under flexural load the composite breaks at 226 kN. It strains to maximum displacement of 6.7mm with ultimate stress of 5.56N/mm2, that is it can withstand the maximum load of 226 kN with ultimate stress of 5.56N/mm2. As we know that in the flexural test a uniform load is applied on the middle of the specimen, which tends a tensile stress is developed on the convex side and a compression stress is developed on the concave side of the specimen. This will create an area of shear stress along the middle line of the specimen resulting in its breakage. The Kevlar fibre having excellent strength survives even very high flexural loads and the result shows some unbroken Kevlar fibres in the middle even after the flexural load. Novelty/Improvement: While changing the orientation of the fibers from 0°, 30°, 45° and 90° the ultimate stress withstand by the specimen may also change. From this experiment we came to know that specimen may withstand the maximum of ultimate stress 5.56 N/mm2 at 45° fibre orientation.
Flexural Testing, Hand Lay-Up Method, Kevlar, Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM).
- Cisneros JA, Tejeda-Ochoa A, García-Estrada JA, Herrera-Ramírez CA, Hurtado-Macías A, Martínez-Sánchez R, Herrera-Ramírez JM. Characterization of Kevlar-29 Fibers by Tensile Tests and Nano Indentation, Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2012 Sep 25; 536(1):S456–S59.
- Ramnath BV, Elanchezhian C, Nirmal PV, Kumar GP, Kumar SV, Karthick S, Rajesh S, Suresh K. Experimental Investigation of Mechanical behavior of Jute-Flax Based Glass Fiber Reinforced Composite, Fibers and Polymers. 2014; 15(6):1251−62.
- Marom G, Drukker E, Weinberg A, Banbaj J. Impact behaviour of Carbon/Kevlar Hybrid Composites, Composites.1986 Apr; 17(2):150−53.
- Raja RN, Kokan SJ, Narayanan RS, Rajesh S, Manickavasagam VM, Ramnath BV. Fabrication and Testing of Abaca Fibre Reinforced Epoxy Composites for Automotive Applications, Advanced Materials Research. 2013; 718−20:63−68.
- Abu Talib AR, Ramadhan AA, MohdRafie AS, Zahari R. Influence of Cut-Out Hole on Multi-Layer Kevlar-29/ Epoxy Composite Laminated Plates, Materials and Design. 2013 Jan; 43:89–98.
- Ramnath B, Rajesh S, Elanchezhian C, Vignesh C, Vijai Rahul V, Tamilselvan V, Narayanan SUS. Investigation of Mechanical behaviour of Glass fibre based SiC Polymer Composites, Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2014; 591:142−45.
- Zhu D, Mobasher B, Vaidya A, Rajan SD. Mechanical behaviours of Kevlar 49 Fabric Subjected to Uniaxial, Biaxial Tension and In-Plane Large Shear Deformation, Composites Science and Technology. 2013; 74:121–30.
- Zhu D, Vaidya A, Mobasher B, Rajan SD. Finite Element Modelling of Ballistic Impact on Multi-Layer Kevlar 49 Fabrics, Composites Part B: Engineering. 2014 Jan; 56:254–62.
- Ramnath BV, Elanchezhian C, Jaivignesh M, Rajesh S, Parswajinan C, Ghias SA. Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy–Alumina–Boron Carbide Metal Matrix Composites, Materials and Design. 2014; 58:332–38.
- Reis PNB, Ferreira JAM, Zhang ZY, Benameur T, Richardson MOW. Impact Response of Kevlar Composites with Nanoclay Enhanced Epoxy Matrix Composites, Part B: Engineering. 2013 Mar; 46:7–14.
- Rajesh S, Ramnath BV, Elanchezhian C, Aravind N, VijaiRahul V, Sathish S. Analysis of Mechanical Behavior of Glass Fibre/ Al2O3- SiC Reinforced Polymer composites, Procedia Engineering. 2014; 97:598–06.
- Rajesh S, Ramnath BV. Investigation of Hardness and Impact Property of a Kevlar Composite, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2015; 10(8):6215−18.
- Ramnath BV, Rajesh S, Elanchezhian C, Shankar AS, Pandian SP, Vickneshwaran S, Rajan RS. Investigation on Mechanical Behaviour of Twisted Natural Fiber Hybrid Composite Fabricated by Vacuum Assisted Compression Molding Technique, Fibers and Polymers. 2015; 17(1):80−87.
- Rajesh S, Ramnath BV. Evaluation of Tensile Behaviour of GFRP/SiC Polymer Reinforced Composites, International Journal Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2015; 766767:70−72.
- Singh TJ, Samanta S. Characterization of Kevlar Fiber and Its Composites: A Review, International Journal of Advanced Engineering and Technology. 2015; 3(1):108−12.
- Raja RN, Kokan SJ, Narayanan RS, Rajesh S, Elanchezhian C, Ramnath BV. Properties and Performance Analysis of Woven Roving Composite Laminates for Automotive Panel Board Applications, Advanced Materials Research. 2013; 683:21−24.
- Valenca SL, Griza S, Oliveira VGD, Sussuchi EM, Cunha FGCD. Evaluation of the Mechanical Behavior of Epoxy Composite Reinforced with Kevlar Plain Fabric and Glass/ Kevlar Hybrid Fabric, Composites: Part B. 2015; 70:1−8.
- Ramnath BV, Manickavasagam VM , Elanchezhia C, Karthick R, Bharath U, Kishore RA M, Rahul R. Investigation of Tensile and Impact Behaviour of Abaca-Raffia Hybrid Composite, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2015; 10(13):5577−80.
- Punyamurthy R, Sampathkumar D, Bennehalli B, Patel GR. Gouda R, Srinivasa CV. Pre-Treatments on Mechanical Characterization of Natural Abaca Epoxy Composites, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(11):1−11.
- Alam MA, Alriyami K, CheMuda Z, Jumaat MZ , Kenaf H. Fibre Composite Plates for Potential Application in Shear Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete Structure, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(6):1−7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.