Total views : 148
Characterization of Mechanical Seal using Hybrid of Natural Materials
Objectives: The aim of this research is to design and analysis of natural fibre mechanical seal using hybrid of Agave sisalana fibre and natural rubber as reiforcement and bio epoxy resin as matrix material. Methods/Analysis: The fabrication of the mechanical seal will involve internal mixing which is to mix up the waste tires with the Agave sisalana and hot pressing is to press or sinter the material into mechanical seal. The testing involved in this project is Tensile Test, Hardness Test, Absorption Test and last is Thickness Swelling Test. The result and data collected will be analysing by using graphs. Apart from that, ANSYS has been used to providing solid modelling and analysis on mechanical seal and mould. Findings: Fibre exhibits a very good reinforcement by increasing the mechanical properties in polymer but at certain amount it can change the properties of the composites. The best composition is 85% natural rubber+5% Agave sisalana fibre+10% Bio Epoxy Resin. Application/Improvement: With the growth of the industrial sector, mechanical seal will become one of the most important things in the piping industrial. By converting natural rubber into mechanical seal, it gives advantages to both parties. Embedding with Agave sisalana increases the mechanical strength of the natural rubber material.
Analysis, Bio-Composites, Characterization, Mechanical Seal.
- Alan NG. Engineering with Rubber: How to Design Rubber Components. Munich; 2001.
- Annicelli RA. Rubber Technology: Compounding and Testing for Performance. Munich; 2001.
- Brahim. Influence of fiber orientation and volume fraction on the tensile properties of unidirectional alfa-polyester composite. Composites Science and Technology. 2006; 67(1):140-7.
- Brahmakumar, et al. Coconut fibre reinforced polyethylene composites: Effect of natural waxy surface layer of the fibre on fibre/matrix interfacial bonding and strength of composites. Composites Science and Technology. 2005; 65(3-4):563-9.
- Chamnanvatchakit P, Prodpran T, Benjakul S, prasarpran S. Use of Epoxidized Natural Rubber (ENR) for property improvement of gelatin film. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(36):1-10.
- Bujang IZ. Study on the Dynamic Characteristic of Coconut Fibre Reinforced Composites. Johor: Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia; 2007. p. 1-7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.