Total views : 85
Mechanical Characteristics of Micro and Nano Silica, ZnO and Chitin Powder Filled Unsaturated Polyester Composites
Objectives: In this study stir processing method is used to increase the strength of polymer with the addition of reinforcements such as micro and nano silica, ZnO and chitin powder. Methods/Statistical Analysis: produced with this process are the production of parts having good resistance to solvents like HCl and H2SO4 being environmental friendly. Silica (micro and nano), chitin and ZnO were added into polyester resin in different fractions as 2%,4%,6% and 10% through mechanical stirrer at 1000 rpm for 1 h. Accelerator and catalyst were added and stirred using a glass rod. The influence of ZnO nano particles with the addition of silica and chitin powder on the mechanical properties like tensile strength and hardness were investigated. The comparison of different weight fractions is also studied. Findings: By adding ZnO nano particles with micro silica and chitin the tensile property of polyester composite was increased. The hardness increased with the addition of Silica (micro and nano) and ZnO whereas, it decreased with the addition of chitin powder. Application/Improvements: Investigating the effect of Silica (micro and nano) and chitin in addition to the ZnO nano particles on the mechanical and micro structure of polyester composites.
Chitin Powder, Hardness, Polyester Composites, Resistance to Solvents, Tensile Strength.
- Katz HS, Milewskin JV. Handbook of fillers and reinforcements for plastics, Van Nostrand Reinhold, Newyork, Spriger. 1978; 16(10):551.
- Nalwa HS. Handbook of advanced functional molecules and polymers. 1st (edn)., Gordon and Breach: London; 2000.
- Haq MIU. Applications of unsaturated polyester resins. Russian Journal of Applied Chemistry. 2007; 80(7):1256–69.
- Unal H, Findik F. Mechanical behavior of nylon composites containing Talc and Kaolin. Journal of Applied Polymer, Science. 2003; 88(7):1694–7.
- Eguiazabal JIAO. The influence of surface modification on the structure and properties of a nanosilica filled thermoplastic elastomeric. Composite Science and Technology. 2007; 67(13):2854–63.
- Teja PVS, Prakash S, Prasad BN, Elijah G. Finite element analysis in drilling GFRP composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(15):1–5.
- Priyadharshini E, Veerakumar R, Selvamani P, Kaveri S. An experimental study on strengthening of reinforced concrete beam using glass fiber reinforced polymer composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1–4.
- Rao CV, Dinesh KR, Veeresh K, Algur V, Shettar M. Analysis of mechanical properties of glass/orthophthalic polyster resin with hematite ore filled composites. International Journal of Research. 2014 Aug; 1(7):1–5.
- Shettar M, Hiremath P, Chauhan VR. Influence of feathers on mechanical properties of glass/unsaturated polyester hybrid composite. International Journal of Engineering and Management Research. 2015; 1(5):92–5.
- Sare IR, Mardel JI, Hill AJ. Wear-resistant metallic and elastomeric materials in the mining and mineral processing industries an overview. Wear. 2001; 250(1–12):1–10.
- Zhou SS, Wu LM, Sun J, Shen W. The change of the properties of acrylic-based polyurethane via addition of nano-silica. Progress in Organic Coatings. 2002; 45(1):33–42.
- Baral D, De PP, Nando GB. Thermal characterization of mica-filled thermoplastic polyurethane. Polymer Degradation and Stability. 1999; 65(1):47–51 13. Srivastava VK, Prakash R, Shembekar PS. Fracture behavior of fly ash filled FRP composites. Composite Structures. 1988; 10(4):271–9.
- Chang L, Bredit K. Tribological properties of epoxy nano composites with nano-TiO2 particles. Wear. 2005; 258(1–4):141–8.
- Wang Q, Xue Q. The friction and wear properties of nano SiO2 filled PEEK. Tribology International. 1997; 30:193–7.
- Wang Q, Xue Q, Shen W, Zhang J. The friction and wear properties of nanometer ZrO2-filled PEEK. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 1998; 69(1):135–41.
- Wang Q, Xue Q, Liu W, Chen J. The friction and wear characteristics of nanometer SiC and PTFE filled PEEK. Wear. 2000; 243:140–6.
- Wang Q, Xue Q, Liu W, Chen J. Tribological characteristics of nanometer Si3N4 filled PEEK under distilled water lubrication. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2001; 79:1394–400.
- Sawyer WG, Freudenberg KD, Bhimaraj P, Schadler LS. A study on the friction and wear behavior of PTFE filled with alumina nanoparticles. Wear. 2003; 254:573–80.
- Shi G, Zhang MQ, Rong MZ, Wetzel B, Friedrich K. Sliding wear behavior of epoxy containing nano-Al2O3 particles with different pretreatments. Wear. 2004; 256:1072–81.
- Dwivedi UK, Ghosh A, Chand N. Abrasive wear behavior of bamboo powder filled polyester composites, Bio-resources. 2007; 2(4):693–8.
- Yilmaz MG, Unal H, Mimaroglu A. Study of the strength and erosive behavior of CaCO3/glass fiber reinforced polyester composite. Express Polymer Letters. 2008; 2(12):890–95.
- Sreekanth MS, Bambole VA. Effect of concentration of Mica on properties of polyester thermoplastic elastomer composites. Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering. 2009; 8(4):271–82.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.