Total views : 104
Effect of Pressing Speed on Al-Mg-Si Aluminium Alloy Processed by Repetitive Corrugation and Straightening
Repetitive Corrugation and Straightening (RCS), a promising Severe Plastic Deformation technique (SPD) is used to produce ultrafine grained (UFG) / nanostructured material in coarse grained structure. In this work, Al-Mg-Si aluminium alloy was subjected to RCS process at two different pressing speeds (0.5 and 2.0 mm. sec -1 ) with the RCS die having equal breadth and height of 5 mm and the groove angle (θ) of 30°. The specimens were processed to the maximum of 8 numbers of passes. The microstructural features were studied using TEM. TEM micrographs confirm the formation of dislocation cell in Al-Mg-Si alloy after 8 pass at room temperature processing condition. The sub-grain formation related to the strength. Tensile strength and hardness of the RCSed specimen were studied and compared in order to study the effect of pressing speed on the properties. The strength and hardness were high in the specimen prepared at low pressing speed. The hardness value increased to 86 HV and 96 HV at the end of 8 passes respectively for 1 mm. sec -1 and 0.5 mm. sec -1 respectively, originally form 69 HV. The strength increases in a linear manner with the increase in number of passes. The strength increased to 187 MPa at the end of 2 pass processed with the pressing speed of 0.5 mm. sec -1 and 178 MPa at the end of 6th pass processed with the pressing speed of 2 mm. sec -1 . The unprocessed alloy shows 70 MPa as strength.
Micro-hardness, Pressing Speed, Repetitive Corrugation and Straightening, Strength
- Ivanov KV, Naidenkin EV. Effect of the Velocity of Equal-Channel Angular Pressing on the Formation of the Structure of Pure Aluminum. The Physics of Metals and Metallography. 2008; 106:411-17.
- Toroghinejad MR, Ashrafizadeh F, Roohollah Jamaati. On the use of accumulative roll bonding process to develop nanostructured aluminum alloy 5083. Materials Science & Engineering A. 2013; 561:145-151.
- Zendehdel H, Hassani A. Influence of twist extrusion process on microstructure and mechanical properties of 6063 aluminum alloy. Materials and Design. 2012; 37:13-18.
- Huang Y, Zhu YT, Jiang H, Lowe TC. Microstructures and dislocation configurations in nanostructured Cu processed by repetitive corrugation and straightening. Acta Mater.2001; 49:1497-505.
- Huang J, Zhu YT, Alexander DJ, Liao X, Lowe TC, Asaro RJ.Development of repetitive corrugation and straightening.Materials Science and Engineering A. 2004; 371:35-9.
- Arora RG, Narasaiah N, Venkateswarlu K. Effect of repetitive corrugation and straightening on Al and Al–0.25Sc alloy. Materials Letters. 2008; 62:301-07.
- Berbon PB, Furukawa M, Horita Z, Nemoto M, Langdon TG. Influence of Pressing Speed on Microstructural Development in Equal-Channel Angular Pressing. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. 1999; 30:1989-98.
- Thangapandian N, Prabu SB, Padmanabhan KA. Effects of die profile on grain refinement in Al-Mg alloy processed by repetitive corrugation and straightening. Materials Science & Engineering: A. 2016; 649: 229-38.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.