Total views : 272
PLC based Automatic Distillation and Collection of Ethanol-Water Solution
This paper demonstrates the design and implementation of a binary distillation and collection of Ethanol-Water solution. The PLC based distillation and collection of the liquids is one of the innovative industrial automation projects. The conventional design contains a PLC based automated model of liquid distillation and collection systems, where PLC (SIMATIC S7-300) is used as the controlling brain of the system and distillation and collection are the two main units of the designed system. The distillation control system separates the homogeneous mixture of water and alcohol (ethanol) by comparing the current temperature of the solution of the continuous solution feeding to the column with the boiling points of individual compounds and collection system collects the separated solvents into the bottles placed on the conveyor belt. The monitoring and controlling of the whole systems are evaluated on the basis of temperature and level of the specific units under consideration of atmospheric pressure. Thus the accurate working of process control can lead to smooth operation of the system, preventing unwanted failures, shutdowns and providing notable cost saving and reliability.
Collection, Distillation, Ethanol-Water Mixture, PLC SIMATIC S7 300.
- Jammes F, Smit H. Service-oriented paradigms in industrial automation. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics.2005 Feb; 1(1):62–70.
- Magar CR, Jazdi N, Göhner P. Requirements on engineering tools for increasing reuse in industrial automation.ETFA 2011; Toulouse. 2011. p. 1–7.
- Naz B, Jaffari NA, Khani FK. Automation of Rotomoulding Plant (RP) using PLC. Int J Sci Emerging Tech. 2012 Oct; 4(4):167–70.
- Haque SHH, Hassan HMI, Hossain SMA. Comparison of control system using PID and PLC. ASEE 2014 Zone I Conference; University of Bridgeport, Bridgpeort, CT, USA.2014 Apr 3-5.
- Guo L, Pecen RR. Student design projects in a Programmable Logic Controller (PlC) course. Annual Conference and Exposition ASMEE Conferences; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.2008.
- Saygin C, Kahraman F. A web-based programmable logic controller laboratory for manufacturing engineering education.The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2004 Oct; 24(7):590–98.
- Lu Q, Wang X, Zhuang L. Research and design of monitoring system for belt conveyor. International Conference on Computer Science and Service System; Nanjing. 2012. p.1943–5.
- Theiss S, Naake J, Dibowski H, Kabitzsch K. PLC-integrated process monitoring and prediction of the resulting realtime load. 4th IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics; Singapore. 2006. p. 880–5.
- Wu X, Zhou H, Huang Y, Zhao Y. Pu-Er tea automated fermentation system based on PLC and WINCC. The 2nd International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering (ICCAE); Singapore. 2010. p. 406–9.
- Klopot T, Czeczot J, Klopot W. Flexible function block for PLC-based implementation of the balance-based adaptive controller. American Control Conference (ACC); Montreal, QC. 2012. p. 6467–72.
- Cibulka, Fontaine JC, Sosnkowska-Kehiaian K, Kehiaian HV. Volumetric properties of the mixture water H2O + C5H12O 2-methylbutan-2-ol (VMSD1212, LB4198_V).Binary Liquid Systems of Nonelectrolytes I, 26A. Springer Berlin Heidelberg; 2011. p. 1837–8.
- Valle RV, López MGL, Quintero-Márquez E. Control of an azeotropic distillation process for anhydrous ethanol production.21st International Conference on Electrical Communications and Computers; San Andres Cholula. 2011. p.88–93.
- Boudreau TM, Hill GA. Improved ethanol-water separation using fatty acids. Process Biochemistry. 2006 Apr; 41(4):980–3.
- Zhang G, Lin L, Meng Q, Xu Y. Separation of Alcohol-Water Solutions by Distillation through Hollow Fibers. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 2007 Oct; 46(23):7820–25.
- Gil D, Uyazán AM, Aguilar JL, Rodríguez G, Caicedo LA.Separation of ethanol and water by extractive distillation with salt and solvent as entrainer: process simulation.Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering. 2008 Mar; 25(1):207– 15.
- Smeu GA. Automatic conveyor belt driving and sorting using SIEMENS step 7-200 programmable logic controller.8th International Symposium On Advanced Topics in Electrical Engineering (ATEE); Bucharest. 2013. p. 1–4.
- Ondrovičová M, Bakošová M, Karšaiová M, Čáran M, Dermíšek L. Distillation column control by SIMATIC 300.Proceedings of the 14th International Conference Process Control; Slovakia. 2003.
- Benato R, Caldon R. Application of PLC for the control and the protection of future distribution networks. IEEE International Symposium on Power Line Communications and Its Applications; Pisa. 2007. p. 499–504.
- Nieuwoudt I, Van Dyk B. Separation of ethanol mixtures by extractive distillation. US Patent 6375807B1; 2002 Apr.
- 24. Available from: http://www.indjst.org/index.php/vision
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.