Total views : 177
Modeling of an Integrated Energy Efficient Conveyor System Model using Belt Loading Dynamics
Objectives: From an industry specific perspective, there is continuous pressure on manufacturing companies to reduce the operating expenditure by reducing the electricity cost by developing the energy efficient equipment and products especially conveyor systems. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Conveyor belts are the material handling equipment that is widely used in industry to move the material from the one place to another or from one process to next process. Conveyors are generally driven with electric motors. Conveyor systems are the one of the major consumers of electricity industries, which consumes up to 40% electricity of the total operating cost, while the remaining 60% is due to operational costs and maintenance. Findings: In this work, efficiency of a conveyor system is evaluated by integrating all the factors that have an influence on the electricity costs of the conveyor system. Using variable speed drive mechanism, an energy efficient conveyor system is developed by physically modeling the speed of the belt and conveyor loading dynamics mechanism under no load, marginally loaded and full loaded conditions. For the energy efficient conveyor system, different start-up of conveyor methods are evaluated as a baseline reason of generating the motor torque in comparison to rated voltage as an optimal energy management tool to develop a relationship across the power consumption, conveyor belt speed and belt loading dynamics. Application/Improvements: The design of energy efficient conveyor system model by controlling multiple drive units in industrial units.
Conveyor Loading Dynamics, Conveyor System, Energy Efficiency, Variable Speed Drive.
- Saidur R, Mekhilef SM, Ali BA, Safari A, Mohammed HA.Applications of variable speed drive in electrical motors energy savings. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.2012; 16(1):543–50.
- Halepoto IA, Shaikh MZ, Chowdhry BS, Uqaili MA. Design and implementation of intelligent energy efficient conveyor system model based on variable speed drive control and physical modeling. International Journal of Control and Automation. 2016; 9(6):379–88.
- Mario M, Bettels D, Preussner A, Kusche M, Hamann F. Frame for a conveyor belt system. US Patent 9, 278,810; 2016 Mar 8.
- Indraswari K, Ashley JG, Lodewijks G. Dynamics of multipledrive belt conveyors during starting. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2016; 842(1):141–6.
- Fernando F, Almeida AT. Energy savings potential associated with stator winding connection mode change in induction motors. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM); 2016. p. 2775–83.
- Valenzuela M, Weaver DAM, Lorenz RD. The impact of switching frequency on PWM AC drive efficiency. Proceedings of IEEE Pulp, Paper and Forest Industries Conference (PPFIC); 2016. p. 153–63.
- Parreiras T, Morais JCG, Justino, Rocha AV, Filho BDC.True unit power factor active front end for high-capacity belt-conveyor systems. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications.2016; 52(3):2737–46.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.