Total views : 117
Use of Mangrove Swamps for Agricultural and House Construction Activities: A Study of Devgad and Rajapur Tehsils of Coastal Maharashtra
Background/Objectives: The attempted research is the outcome of the questionnaire based analysis about the use of mangrove swamps for agricultural and house construction activities. The present research study also assesses the impact of such human activities on the degradation of mangroves. Methods/Analysis: Present research work consists of primary data, collected through field survey and through the questionnaires in 23 villages of the Devgad and Rajapur Tehsils of Coastal Maharashtra. Questionnaire is formulated on account of all the relevant aspects in terms of interaction between man and mangroves, use of mangroves for construction activities, tourism development in mangrove area, waste water disposal in estuary, agriculture practice in mangrove fields etc. For the collection of large data/ information, stratified random sampling method was used. Findings: Along the estuaries of the study area the land is quite fertile for agricultural purposes. During the questionnaire survey, it has observed that the villagers, who are living near the mangrove areas are encroaching their agricultural fields towards the mangroves. Applications/Improvements: In view of government rules and regulations for the protection of the mangroves, it requires collecting and assessing the basic information and database about the mangroves. Such collected basic information also helps for the proper management of mangrove ecosystem.
Agricultural Activities, Conservation of Mangroves, Mangroves, Perception of Villagers, Questionnaire Survey.
- Sapkale JB, Rathod BL. Perception based study of coastal sand dunes in the areas of Ratnagiri Coasts, Maharashtra. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(7):657– 61. Crossref
- Sapkale JB. Degradation of coastal sand dunes in Mithmumbari and Kunkeshwar of Devgad Coasts Maharashtra. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science Engineering and Technology. 2014; 3(9):16097– 103. Crossref
- Harty C. Mangrove in New South Wales and Victoria. Melbourne: Vista Publications; 1997. p. 47.
- Brahmanandhan GM , Swithin B, Radjen TA, Zenith PPH, Motouri S, Akhil PS, Kumar MC, Reddy ASP. Theoretical prediction of annual energy generation from a tidal barrage with reference to tidal range at Chennai. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(34):1–3. Crossref
- Adib A. Extraction of structural curves, regression relations and structural regression relations in the tidal limit of the Karun River. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010; 3(5):530–6.
- Pandian PK, Dharanirajan K. Beach morphology and coastal protection along Ennore coast in the north of Chennai city south India. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2007; 1(1):1–7.
- Traynor CH, Hill T. Mangrove Utilisation and Implications for Participatory Forest Management, South Africa. Conservation and Society. 2008; 6(2):109–16.
- Sahu SC, Suresh HS, Murthy IK, Ravindranath NH. Mangrove Area Assessment in India Implications of Loss of Mangroves. Journal Earth Science Climatic Change. 2015; 6(5):1–7.
- Sremongkontip S, Hussin YA, Groenindijk L. Detecting Changes In The Mangrove Forests Of Southern Thailand Using Remotely Sensed Data And Gis. International Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. 2000; 33(B7):1–8.
- Dahdouh-Guebas F. The Use of Remote Sensing And Gis In The Sustainable Management Of Tropical Coastal Ecosystems. Environment, Development and Sustainability. 2002; 4(2):93–112. Crossref
- Dahdouh-Guebas F, Mathenge C, Kairo JG. Koedam N. Utilization of Mangrove Wood Products around Mida Creek (Kenya) Amongst Subsistence and Commercial Users. Economic Botany. 2000; 54(4):513–27. Crossref
- Sampath B, Mohankumar G. Preliminary Study on the Development of Concrete with Sea Sandas Fine Aggregate. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(32):1–5. Crossref
- Zorina SO, Afanasieva NL, Khairutdinova LR, Morozov VP, Eskin AA, Marsovich GB. Paleocene-Eeocene Depositional Environments and Abiotic Events on the Southern and South-Eastern Russian Platform. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(18):1–8. Crossref
- Kazemzadeh MB, Ayyoubzadeh SA, Moridnezhad A. Remote Sensing of Temporal and Spatial Variations of Suspended Sediment Concentration in Bahmanshir Estuary Iran. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(8):5036–45.
- Zhou YW, Zhou B, Peng YS, Chen GZ. Influence of mangrove restoration on heavy metal accumulation and speciation in intertidal sediments. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 2010; 60(8):1319–24. Crossref, PMid:20378130
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.