Total views : 96
Nursing Students’ Awareness and Behaviour of Academic Misconduct in South Korea
Objectives: This study examined the status and relationship between nursing students' awareness and behaviour of academic misconduct in Korea. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Data were collected using a self-reported questionnaire administered to 217 nursing students from three South Korean universities. Findings: The awareness of 'irresponsibility in the class' was lowest, and 'cheating on examinations' was highest. Further, the behaviour of 'dishonesty in clinical practice' was highest, and 'cheating on examinations' was lowest. The results showed significant correlation between awareness and behaviour (r = .742, p < .001). Novelty/Improvements: Identifying and developing ethical content is necessary to improve the academic integrity of nursing students.
Academic Integrity, Academic Misconduct, Cheating, Dishonesty, Plagiarism.
- Lickona T, Davidson M. Smart and good high schools: Integrating excellence and ethics for success in school, work and beyond: a report to the nation. Cortland, NY: Center for the 4th and 5th Rs (Respect and Responsibility/ Washington DC: Character Education Partnership. 2005.
- Park EJ, Park SM, Jang IS. Academic cheating among nursing students. Nurse Education Today. 2013; 33(4):346-52. Crossref PMid:23357719
- Park EJ, Park SM, Jang IS. Clinical misconduct among South Korean nursing students. Nurse Education Today. 2014; 34(12):1467-73. Crossref PMid:24837816
- Theart CJ, Smit I. The status of academic integrity amongst nursing students at a nursing education institution in the Western Cape. Curationis. 2012; 35(1):1-8. Crossref PMid:23327765
- Arhin AO. A pilot study of nursing student’s perceptions of academic dishonesty: a generation Y perspective. ABNF journal. 2009; 20(1):17-21. PMid:19278183
- McCabe DL. Academic dishonesty in nursing schools: an empirical investigation. Journal of Nursing Education. 2009; 48(11):614-23. Crossref PMid:19650608
- Bromley P. Praxis to practice: academic integrity equals professional integrity. Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal. 2015; 23(1):33. PMid:26226815
- 8. Eby RA, Hartley PL, Hodges PJ, Hoffpauir R, Newbanks S, Kelley JH. Moral integrity and moral courage: can you teach it? Journal of Nursing Education. 2013; 52(4):229-33. Crossref PMid:23471872
- 9. Gray MT. Nursing leaders’ experiences with the ethical dimensions of nursing education. Nursing Ethics. 2008; 15(3):332-45. Crossref PMid:18388168
- Langone M. Promoting integrity among nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education. 2007; 46(1):126-41.
- Chun MS, Ryu PD, Yoon JH. A Matter of professionalism: academic misconduct of veterinary students. Journal of Veterinary Clinics. 2015; 32(2):174-9. Crossref 12. Ko J. The improvement of regulation and education related with academic integrity in university. The Journal of Law of Education. 2009; 21(2):1-25. Crossref
- Shin EH. The undergraduate student honor code in American universities: the cases of Harvard and university of South Carolina. Korean Journal of General Education. 2009; 3(2):123-48.
- Lee JG. Development of general education curriculum for research academic ethics. Paper presented at the Korean Association of General Education 2012 conference, Seoul, Korea Retrieved from http://wwwkageduorkr/modules/ doc/indexphp?doc=event&___M_ID=27. 2012.
- Kwon HJ, Lee YM, Lee YH. Development of an inventory assessing medical students’ attitudes towards academic misconduct. Korean Journal of Medical Education. 2013; 25(3):211-20. Crossref PMid:25804850
- Lee YH, Lee YM, Kwon HJ. Development of a code of professional conduct for medical students and residents. Korean Journal of Medical Education. 2014; 26(4):321-33. Crossref PMid:25800239
- Cho MK. A study of the moral judgments of nursing and non-nursing students using a DIT test. Korean Journal of Medical Ethics. 2009; 12(4):377-90.
- Kim EA, Park HY, Choi SE. The influence of moral sensitivity and critical thinking dispositions on biomedical ethics awareness of nursing students. Korean Journal of Medical Ethics. 2014; 17(2):144-58.
- Kim EH, Lee EJ. A comparison of first-year and senior nursing students’ ethical values and understanding of biomedical ethics. Korean Journal of Medical Ethics.2012; 15(1):78-95.
- Kim MA. Two teaching methods to improve nursing students’ moral intelligence, moral sensitivity and moral judgment: theatre of situations and pro-con debate. Korean Journal of Medical Ethics. 2013; 16(3):376-90.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Buchner A, Lang A-G. Statistical power analyses using G* Power 3.1: tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods. 2009; 41(4):1149-60. Crossref PMid:19897823
- Lee SH, Yoon CH, Choi SB. Importance-performance analysis on college students’ conceptions of academic ethics. Asian Journal of Education. 2011; 12(4):75-94. Crossref
- Vengoechea J, Moreno S, Ruiz A. Misconduct in medical students. Developing World Bioethics. 2008; 8(3):219-25. Crossref PMid:19046259
- Roff S, Preece P. Helping medical students to find their moral compasses: ethics teaching for second and third year undergraduates. Journal of Medical Ethics. 2004; 30(5):4879. Crossref PMid:15467084 PMCid:PMC1733931
- McCabe DL, Trevi-o LK, Butterfield KD. Cheating in academic institutions: a decade of research. Ethics and Behavior. 2001; 11(3):219-32. Crossref
- Oh YH. How to prevent academic dishonesty in colleges effectively - a moral development perspective. Korean Journal of Educational Psychology. 2001; 15(3):105-29.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.