Total views : 109
Concerns in Maintaining Reusable Software Components and the Possible Solutions
Objectives: The subject of the study deals with the problems faced during the maintenance of reusable software components. It aims at exploring different problems, and their potential solutions. Methods/Analysis: The study scrutinizes the previous methods that were followed for the maintenance of reusable software components. It takes note of the standards that are framed for maintenance purposes. It then figure out the major problems that exist in maintenance of reusable software components. It explores the present development scenario of reusable components to reach out to the solution and determines how tools can be helpful to address the problem. Findings: The research enforces to evolve the relationship between maintenance and reusable software components. It comes up with the problems such as change control, version control, scarcity of traceability, outdated legacy systems, lack of adequate documentation of reusable components. Consequently, the solution to the concerned problems have evolved in a form that is represented as notification about changes, integrated environment of reuse repository with SCM, reverse engineering as tracing tool, upgrading through re-engineering, changes should be reflected in documents. The study also presents a set of tools that may help in conquering the problem. The analysis of previous work is significant in establishing the consensus about the stated problems and mentioned solutions. The findings have their significance in the fact that they have been addressed in an integrative manner. The set of tool support adds value to the study. Application/Improvement: The scope of study can be enhanced by taking a case to endorse the findings.
CASE Tools, Maintenance, Reusable Software Components, Solutions Concerned, Threats To Maintenance
- Software Engineering Standards Committee of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Computer Society. IEEE Standard for Software Maintenance [Internet]. 1998 [updated 2015 Sep 8; cited 1998 Jun 25].Available from: http://www.cs.uah.edu/~rcoleman/CS499/ CourseTopics/IEEE_Std_1219-1998.pdf.
- http://dictionary.ieee.org/index/s-14.html. Date accessed: 09/09/2015.
- Karanja D. Equipment commissioning checklist [Internet].2015 [cited 2015 Sep 8]. Available from: http://www.ehow.com/about_6643440_software-maintenance-definition.html.
- Gill NS. Software maintenance and maintenance costs. In Software Engineering, Khanna Book Publishing Company; 2009. p. 490–5.
- Chu WC, Lu C-W, Shiu C-P, He X. Pattern-based software reengineering: a case study. Journal of Software Maintenance: Research and Practice. 2000 Mar; 12(2):121– 41. Crossref.
- A Process Model of Maintenance with Reuse: An Investigation and an Implementation [ PhD thesis]. UK, University of Durham; 1997 Dec 26. p. 1–193. http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/4724/1/4724_2193. PDF?UkUDh:CyT.
- Voas J. Upgrading software maintenance for components [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2015 Sep 9]. Available from: https:// www.cigital.com/papers/download/maintain.pdf.
- Murta L, Oliveira H, Dantas C, Lopes LG, Werner C.Towards component-based software maintenance via software configuration management techniques [Internet].2015 [cited 2015 Sep 8]. Available from: http://reuse.cos.
- Al – Badareen A, Selamat MH, Jabar MA. Reusable software component lifecycle. International Journal of Computers.2011; 5(2):191–9.
- Imeri F, Antovski L. An analytical view on the software reuse. In ICT Innovations Web Proceedings; 2012 Jan. p.213–22.
- Pressman RS. Software engineering: a practitioners approach. 3rd edition, McGraw-Hill, NY; 1992. p. 668–83.
- Sharma A, Kumar R, Grover P. Managing component – based systems with reusable components. International Journal of Computer Science and Security. 2007; 1(2):60–5.
- Schach SR, Tomer A. A maintenance-oriented approach to software construction. Journal of Software Maintenance: Research and Practice. 2000 Jan; 12(1):25–45. Crossref.
- Manna M. Maintenance burden begging for a remedy.Datamation. 1993 Apr 1; 13(6):53–63.
- English Oxford Living Dictionaries. Version [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2015 Sep 2]. Available from: http://www.oxforddictionaries. com/definition/english/version.
- Wikipedia. Version [Internet]. 2015 [updated 2016 Dec 22; cited 2015 Sep 2]. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Version.
- Sharon D, Bell R. Tools that bind creating integrated environments. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Software. 1995 Mar; 12(2):76–85. Crossref
- Bakshi A, Bawa S. Development of a software repository for the precise search and exact retrieval of the components. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering. 2013 Aug; 3(8):1116–26.
- Pressman RS. Software engineering-a practitioners approach. Software Configuration Management; 2010. p.
- Britcher RN. Re-engineering software: a case study. IBM Systems Journal. 1990; 29(4):551–67. Crossref
- Biggerstaff TJ. Design recovery for maintenance and reuse. Computer. 1989 Jul; 22(7):36–49. Crossref.
- Dart S, Christie AM, Brown AW. A case study in software maintenance. Technical Report; 1993 Jun. p. 1–50. http:// www.sei.cmu.edu/reports/93tr008.pdf.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.