Total views : 148
The Character Strengths of Adolescents of Multicultural Families in Korea
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to explore the Character Strengths (CS) of adolescents of multicultural families in Korea and to examine the relationship among CS, adjustment and attachment. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Self-report questionnaires assessing character strength, school adjustment and attachment were administrated to 43 multiculturaladolescents and 74 non-multicultural ones.The statistical analysis was conducted using SPSS (ver. 1.8). The top 5 CSs were selected by comparing the averages of all the twenty four CSs in the multicultural group. And independent sample t-test was conducted to compare CSs with non-multicultural group and compare CSs according to the adjustment level. Findings: The results showed that the top-five CSs multicultural adolescents ranked most high were love, optimism, gratitude, kindness and vitality. And most of the CS sub-factors were higher in the multicultural group than the non-multicultural group except for self-regulation, leadership and humor. The school adjustment was significantly correlated to overall CS, and the attachment with mother significantly predicted the top five CSs of multicultural adolescents. In this study, the representative character strengths of the multicultural adolescents in Korea were found out. And also the positive relationship between the character strengths and adjustment of the multicultural adolescents was proved. Improvements/Applications: These findings indicate that it could buffer the negative influences of risk factors on maladjustment to enhance the strengths of multicultural adolescents, not just to reduce negative aspects of them
Adolescent, Attachment, Character Strength, Multicultural Family, School Adjustment.
- Statistics Korea. 2012 Census for multicultural families [Internet]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/ korea/kor_nw/2/2/1/index.board?bmode¼read&aSeq¼31 0247. Date accessed: 31/05/2014.
- Cosentino AC, Solano AC. The assessment of multicultural strength. European Journal of Psychological Assessment. 2015; 30:261-273.
- Chung SJ, Bang KS. Parenting efficacy and health-promoting behaviors for children of mothers from native and multicultural families in Korea. Asian Nursing Research.2015; 9(2):104-108.
- Barber B K. Cultural, family, and personal contexts of parentadolescent conflict. Journal of Marriage and the Family.1994; 56(2):375-386.
- Kim HJ, Bark YJ, Choi JS, Kim SH. Development of preschool children from disadvantaged family backgrounds in South Korea. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences.2012; 55(5):739-745.
- Langley A K, Gonzalez A, Sugar C A, Solis D, Jaycox L. Bounce Back: Effectiveness of and elementary schoolbased intervention for multicultural children exposed to traumatic events. Journal of Cousulting and Clinical Psychology. 2015, 83(5):853-865.
- Linley PA, Joseph S, Harrington S, Wood AM. Positive psychology: Past, present and (possible) future. The Journal of Positive Psychology. 2006; 1(1):3-16.
- Fowler RD, Seligman MEP, Koocher G P. The APA 1998 Annual Report. American Psychologist. 1999; 54:537-568.
- Peterson C, Seligman M. Character strengths and virtues: A handbook and classification. New York: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Field A J. Multicultural research and practice: Theoretical issues and maximizing cultural exchange. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice. 2010, 41(3): 196-201.
- Jun, J. M. A study on empowerment of adolescents of multicultural families: comparison between cases of multicultural and regular households. PhD Thesis of Sungshin Women’s University. 2010.
- Fowers B J, Davidov B J. The virtues of multiculturalism: Personal transformation, character, and openness to the other. American Psychologist. 2006, 61(6): 581-594.
- Sue D W, Sue D. Counseling the culturally diverse. New York: Wiley, 2003.
- Yu H H, Lee C S. The mediating effects of hope and family cohesion between acculturative stress and depression of immigrant women for marriage in Korea. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(s7):494-503.
- Kang KJ, Park SS. The development and effect analysis of integrated program for multiculturalism capacity developmentFocused on children of Korea’s multicultural and non-multicultural families. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(19):1-9.
- Kwon S M, Kim JY, Ha SS. Manuel of Character Strength Test for Adolescence. Seoul: Hakzisa; 2005.
- Armsden GC, Greenberg MT. The inventory of Parent and Peer Attachment: individual difference and their relationship to psychological well-being in adolescence. Journal of Youth and Adolescence. 1987 16(5):427-454.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.