Total views : 187
Process Improvement for Liquid-Phase Metal Reduction from Steelmaking Dump Slags
Background/Objectives: This work was aimed at experimental studying the laboratory process and the results of liquidphase carbon (coke) reduction of the steelmaking slag conducted to obtain the metal and oxide phases which can be used in the metallurgical industry and building materials industry. Methods: The slag from the slag dumps of Zlatoust Metallurgical Plant (the Russian Federation) was an object of the study. The composition of the experimental samples of metal and slag was determined by electron probe microanalysis. Findings: The conducted experiments give grounds to assert that the process allows recovering almost completely iron, chromium and nickel contained in the slag. Major part of manganese, as well as some other components, including valuable elements – tungsten, molybdenum, titanium and vanadium, also passes into the molten metal. It has been shown that liquid-phase recovery of slag is acceptable to be carried out at temperatures of about 1500-1550°C. In this case, the slag reduction time (after heating the mixture up to the operating temperature) should not exceed 30 minutes. For a more complete recovery of valuable metals it is recommended to use the moment of the ‘boiling’ (intensive separation of gaseous carbon oxides) period completion as an indicator of the isothermal time end. Improvements/Application: Useful products of the recovery process are liquid metal and heavy metal-depleted oxide melt consisting mainly of calcia, silica, magnesia and alumina which may be used in cement manufacturing.
Experimental Study, High-Temperature Processes, Liquid-Phase Reduction, Steelmaking Slags.
- Shen H, Forssberg E, Nordström U. Physicochemical and mineralogical properties of stainless steel slags oriented to metal recovery. Resources, Conservation and Recycling.2004; 40(3):245–71. DOI: 10.1016/S0921-3449(03)00072-7.
- Rao SR. Resource recovery and recycling from metallurgical wastes. Elsevier Science; 2006.
- Durinck D, Engström F, Arnout S, Heulens J, Jones PT, Björkman B, Blanpain B, Wollants P. Hot stage processing of metallurgical slags. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 2008; 52(10):1121–31. DOI: 10.1016/j.resconrec.2008.07.001.
- Gudim YA, Golubev AA, Ovchinnikov SG, Zinurov IY.Modern methods of waste-free processing of steelmaking slags. Steel. 2009; 7:93–5.
- Huaiwei Z, Xin H. An overview for the utilization of wastes from stainless steel industries. Resources Conservation and Recycling. 2011; 55(8):745–54. DOI: 10.1016/j.resconrec.2011.03.005.
- Manso JM, Gonzalez JJ, Polanco JA. Electric arc furnace slag in concrete. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering.2004; 16(6):639–45. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)08991561(2004)16:6(639).
- Al-Otaibi S. Recycling steel mill scale as fine aggregate in cement mortars. European Journal of Scientific Research.2008; 24(3):332–8.
- Lun YX, Zhou MK, Cai X, Xu F. Methods for improving volume stability of steel slag as fine aggregate. Journal of Wuhan University of Technology, Material Science Edition.2008; 23(5):737–42. DOI: 10.1007/s11595-007-5737-3.
- Li YF, Yao Y, Wang L. Recycling of industrial waste and performance of steel slag green concrete. Journal of Central South University Technology. 2009; 16:768–73. DOI: 10.1007/s11771-009-0128-x.
- Nadeem M, Pofale AD. Utilization of industrial waste slag as aggregate in concrete applications by adopting Taguchi’s approach for optimization. Open Journal of Civil Engineering.2012; 2:96–105. DOI: 10.4236/ojce.2012.23015.
- Santos RM, Bouwel JV, Vandevelde E, Mertens G, Elsen J, Gerven TV. Accelerated mineral carbonation of stainless steel slags for CO2 storage and waste valorization: Effect of process parameters on geochemical properties. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 2013; 17:32–45.DOI: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2013.04.004.
- Gahan CS, Sundkvist JE, Engström F, Sandström Å. Utilisation of steel slags as neutralising agents in biooxidation of a refractory gold concentrate and their influence on the subsequent cyanidation. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 2011; 55(5):541–7. DOI: 10.1016/j.resconrec.2011.01.005.
- Mattila HP, Hudd H, Zevenhoven R. Cradle-to-gate life cycle assessment of precipitated calcium carbonate production from steel converter slag. Journal of Cleaner Production.2014; 84(1):611–18. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.05.064.
- Das B, Prakash S, Reddy PSR, Misra VN. An overview of utilization of slag and sludge from steel industries. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 2007; 50(1):40–57. DOI: 10.1016/j.resconrec.2006.05.008.
- Lundkvist K, Brämming M, Larsson M, Samuelsson C. System analysis of slag utilisation from vanadium recovery in an integrated steel plant. Journal of Cleaner Production.2013; 47:43–51. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.09.002.
- Ma N-Y, Houser JB. Recycling of steelmaking slag fines by weak magnetic separation coupled with selective particle size screening. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2014; 82:221–31. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.06.092.
- Shen H, Forssberg E. An overview of recovery of metals from slags. Waste Management. 2003; 23(10):933–49. DOI: 10.1016/S0956-053X(02)00164-2.
- Gladskikh VI, Naumkin VV, Sukinova NV, Murzina ZN.Deep processing of nonmagnetic metallurgical slags for complete iron extraction. Steel. 2009; 39(5):399–401. DOI: 10.3103/S0967091209050088.
- Doronin IE, Svyazhin AG. Commercial methods of recycling dust from steelmaking. Metallurgist. 2011; 54(9– 10):673–81. DOI: 10.1007/s11015-011-9356-z.
- Menad N, Kanari N, Save M. Recovery of high grade iron compounds from LD slag by enhanced magnetic separation techniques. International Journal of Mineral Processing.2014; 126:1–9. DOI: 10.1016/j.minpro.2013.11.001.
- Gladskikh VI, Bochkarev AV, Sukinova NV, Murzina ZN, Frolova IP. Improving slag processing at OAO MMK. Steel.2011; 41:541–3. DOI: 10.3103/S0967091211060052.
- Shakurov AG, Zhuravlev VV, Parshin VM, Shkol’nik YS, Chertov AD. Processing of liquid steelmaking slags to obtain commercial products. Steel. 2014; 44(2):166–72. DOI: 10.3103/S0967091214020193.
- Trofimov E, Chumanov I, Dildin A, Samoylova O. On expediency of the preliminary heat treatment for liquid-phase reduction of waste steelmaking slag. American Journal of Applied Sciences. 2015;12(12):952–961. DOI: 10.3844/ ajassp.2015.952.961.
- Chumanov IV, Trofimov EA, Dildin AN. Improving the process of high-temperature processing steel-smelting dump slag by means of experimental and theoretical research.Materials Science Forum. 2016; 843:203–7. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.843.203.
- Dil’din AN, Chumanov IV, Chumanov VI, Eremyashev VE, Trofimov EA, Kirsanova AA. Liquid-phase reduction of steelmaking wastes. Metallurgist. 2016; 59(11–12):1024.DOI:10.1007/s11015-016-0210-1.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.