Total views : 195
Adaptive Focal Length Imaging System using Liquid Crystal Spatial Light Modulator
In this paper, we present a single-lens based imaging system that its focal length can be adjusted by using Liquid Crystal Spatial Light Modulator (LC-SLM). The SLM is placed at the aperture stop of the imaging system to work as a Phase Mask (PM) that modifies the light wavefront passing the exit pupil. By changing the pixel-based PM pattern that sends to the SLM, the focal length of the imaging system can be varied in the same spirit as conventional mechanical-zoom lenses. We demonstrate a proof-of-concept system for high magnification industrial inspection applications in a laboratory setup. We show the results that the focal length of the system is adjustable within the range ±2.0mm.
Autofocus, Adaptive Focal Length, Liquid Crystal, Phase Mask, Spatial Light Modulator, Wavefront Modification.
- Martinez T, Santiago F, Wick D, Bagwell B, Restaino S, Wilcox C, Andrews J and Payne D. Active optical zoom for tracking. In the Proceedings of Advanced Maui Optical and Space (AMOS) Conference; 2008 Sep. p. 115–8.
- Thompson E. Nonmechanical multizoom telescope design using a liquid crystal spatial light modulator and focus-correction algorithm [Master’s thesis]. United State, Air Force Institute of Technology; 2008. p. 1–70.
- Ren H, Wu S. Adaptive liquid crystal lens with large focal length tunability. Optics Express. 2006; 14:11292–8.
- Laude V. Twisted-nematic liquid-crystal pixelated active lens. Optics Communications. 1998; 153:134–52.
- Bagwell B, Wick D, Batchko R, Mansell J, Martinez T, Restaino S, Payne D, Harriman J, Serati S, Sharp G, Schwiegerling J. Liquid crystal based active optics. In the Proceedings of the SPIE Novel Optical Systems Design and Optimization IX. 2006 Sep 5; 6289:1–12.
- Carles G, Muyo G, Bosch S, Harvey A. Use of a spatial light modulator as an adaptable phase mask for wavefront coding.Journal of Modern Optics. 2010; 57:893–900.
- Iemmi C, Campos J, Escalera J, Lpez-Coronado O, Gimeno R, Yzuel M. Depth of focus increase by multiplexing programmable diffractive lenses. Optics Express. 2006; 14:10207–19.
- Peng R, Chen J, Zhu C, Zhuang S. Design of a zoom lens without motorized optical elements. Optics Express. 2007; 15:6664–9.
- Reichelt S, Zappe H. Design of spherically corrected, achromatic variable-focus liquid lenses. Optics Express. 2007; 15:14146–54.
- Ayutthaya KSN, Mittrapiyanuruk P, Kaewtrakulpong P.Automatic hard disk drive slider bar auditing with spatial light modulator based imaging system. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 November; 8(32):0974–6846.
- Goodman J. Introduction to fourier optics.2nd edition.MaGraw-Hill Series in Electrical and Computer Engineering; 1996. p. 17–457.
- Ferran C, Bosch S, Carnicer A. Design of optical systems with extended depth of field: An educational approach to wavefront coding techniques. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transactions on Education.2012; 55:271–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.