Total views : 223
Partially Replacing Sand with Coal Bottom Ash and Cement with Metakaolin– A Review
Objective: In order to follow the ecological trend, the utilization of alternate materials in construction industry is a growing interest. This review shows the effects of incorporation of coal bottom ash and metakaolin on the fresh and hardened properties of self compacting concrete. Methods: For fresh properties slump cone, L-Box, U-box, J-ring and V-funnel were used. In order to find out the mechanical properties, tests were done on compression testing machine and flexure testing machine. Scanning electron microscope and X-ray diffraction techniques have also used in order to study the microstructure of self compacting concrete having coal bottom ash and metakaolin. For durability properties, tests like sorptivity, water absorption and Rapid Chloride Permeability Test (RCPT) were done. Finding: Utilization of a material which is otherwise a waste is of great significance. Coal bottom ash which is a waste product of thermal power plants can be utilized in self compacting concrete to partially replace natural sand. Likewise metakaolin has a potential to partially replace cement in Self Compacting Concrete (SCC) in order to reduce the consumption of ordinary portland cement, manufacturing of which is quite hazardous to the environment. This paper presents the findings of various researchers who have studied the effect of using coal bottom ash and metakaolin in self compacting concrete. Based on these studies it has been found out that coal bottom ash has a size almost similar to that of natural sand and pozzolanic activity of metakaolin is quite high. Throughout this paper, impact of coal bottom ash and metakaolin on fresh and hardened properties of self compacting concrete are reviewed and optimum percentage of replacement is also analyzed based on the basis of practical approach. Application: Coal bottom ash and metakaolin can be effectively used to partially replace natural sand and cement in self compacting concrete. Introduction of these two materials in SCC leads to an economical and environment friendly concrete. Construction with demand of high compressive, split tensile and flexural strength can be achieved by incorporation of these materials.
Coal Bottom Ash, Compressive Strength, Flexural Strength, Metakaolin, Self Compacting Concrete, Split Tensile Strength.
- Singh M, Siddique R. Strength properties and micro-structural properties of concrete containing coal bottom ash as partial replacement of fine aggregate. Construction and Building Materials. 2014 Sep; 50:246–56.
- Siddique R, Aggarwal P, Aggarwal Y. Influence of water/ powder ratio on strength properties of self-compacting concrete containing coal fly ash and bottom ash. Construction and Building Materials. 2011 Oct; 29;73–81.
- Kasemchaisiri R, Tangtermsirikul S. Properties of self-compacting concrete incorporating bottom ash as a partial replacement of fine aggregates. Science Asia. 2008 Nov; 34:87–95.
- Mandal A. A review on current research status on bottom ash: An Indian prospective. concrete. 2014 Dec; 95(4):277–97.
- Siddique R. Compressive strength, water absorption, sorptivity, abrasion resistance and permeability of self compacting concrete containing coal bottom ash. Construction and Building Materials. 2013 Jun; 47:1444–50.
- Hamzah A, Jamaluddin N. Split tensile strength on self-compacting concrete containing coal bottom ash. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2015; 195:2280–9.
- Wild S, Khatib J, Jones A. Relative strength, pozzolanic activity and cement hydration in superplasticised metakaolin concrete. Cement Concrete Res. 1996; 26(10):1537–44.
- Kavitha O. Fresh, micro and macrolevel studies of metakaolin blended self-compacting concrete. Applied Clay Science. 2015 Jun; 114:370–4.
- Sabir B, Wild S. Metakaolin and calcined clays as a pozzolans for concrete: A review cement and concrete composites.2001 Dec; 23:441–54.
- Jaleel J. Influence of metakaolin on concrete containing bottom ash as fine aggregate. International Journal of Research in Advent Technology. 2015 Jun. E-ISSN: 2321-9637.
- Karjinni V, Anadinni S, Patil S. An investigation on the characteristic properties of high performance SCC with mineral admixture. Indian Concrete Journal. 2009; 15–9.
- Mahure H, Mohitkar V, Ravi K. Effect of metakaolin on fresh and hardened properties of self compacting concrete.Indian Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology. 2014 Feb; 5(2):137–45
- Vejmelkova E, Robert C. Properties of self-compacting concrete mixtures containing metakaolin and blast furnace slag. Construction and Building Materials. 2010 Sep; 25:1325–31.
- Kurama H. Usage of coal combustion bottom ash in concrete mixture. Construction and Building Materials.2008; 22:1922–8.
- Caldarone M. High reactivity metakaolin: A new generation mineral admixture. Concrete. 1994; 16:37–40.
- Mahajan S, Singh D. Fresh and hardened properties of self compacting concrete incorporating different binder materials.International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 2013 Dec; 3(12):2250–59.
- Naik T, Chun Y, Kumar R, Ramme B. Development of highstrength self-consolidating concrete. Construction and Building Materials. 2004; REP-508.
- Abubakar A, Baharudin K. Properties of concrete using coal bottom ash and fly ash. International Journal of Sustainable Construction Engineering and Technology. 2012; 3(2).
- Vejmelkova E, Keppert M, Grzeszczyk S, Ski B, Cerny R.Properties of self compacting concrete mixtures containing metakaolin and blast furnace slag. Construction and Building Materials. 2011 Sep; 25:1325–31.
- Benipal G, Singh K. Strengthening of cement concrete using fly ash and metakaolin: A review. IJEDR. 2015; 3(4):722–5.ISSN: 2321-9939.
- Badogiannis E, Sfikas I, Voukia D, Trezos K, Tsivilis S.Durability properties of metakaolin self compacting concrete.Construction and Building Materials. 2015 Feb; 82:133–44.
- Singh M, Siddique R. Effect of coal bottom ash as partial replacement of sand on properties of concrete. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 2013; 72:20–32.
- Yuksel I, Genc A. Properties of concrete containing non groung ash and slag as fine aggregate. ACI Materials Journal.2007; 104:397–403.
- Ghafoori N, Bucholc J. Investigation of lignite based bottom ash for structural concrete. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 1996; 8:128–37.
- Ghafoori N, Cai Y. Laboratory-made roller Compacted Concretes containing dry bottom ash. ACI Material Journal.1998; 95:121–30.
- Fernandez J, Georgakopoulos A, Gimeno D, Papastergios G, Kolovos N. Ash deposition in a pulverized coal-fired power plant after high-calcium lignite combustion. Energy and Fuels. 2004; 18:12–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.