Total views : 197
Effect of Hard Versus Soft Occlusal Splint on the Management of Myofascial Pain: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Objectives: The project is to compare the pain intensity and muscle tenderness of hard versus soft Occlusal Splints of at least 3 months follow-up. Methods/Statistical Analysis: PubMed and Cochrane CENTRAL databases electronic searches were performed. Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs) which compared hard versus soft Occlusal Splint were only articles to be included. Titles and abstract screened, data extracted and articles assessed for risk of bias. Meta-analyses were performed for two of included RCTs that have similar outcome measures. Findings: from 7 relevant studies identified, 3 randomized controlled trials fulfilled the inclusion criteria. The meta-analysis revealed that, no significant differences in pain intensity and muscle tenderness reduction for patients with Myofascial pain treated by hard versus soft Occlusal Splints. The included RCTs were considered of high risk of bias that indicate no enough evidence to reach robust conclusion which group is superior over the other. Application/Improvements: Well-designed RCTs should be conducted and the outcome measures evaluation should be standardized between studies to reach robust conclusion.
Myofascial Pain, Muscle Activity, Occlusal Splint, Systematic Review, Temporomandibular Disorders.
- Kafas P, Leeson R. Assessment of pain in temporomandibular disorders: the bio-psychosocial complexity. International journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery. 2006 February; 35(2):145-9. Crossref PMid:15975765
- LeResche L. Epidemiology of temporomandibular disorders: implications for the investigation of etiologic factors. Critical reviews in oral biology and medicine: an official publication of the American Association of Oral Biologists. 1997 January; 8(3):291-305.
- Turp JC. Temporomandibular pain: clinical presentation and impact.1 edn. Quintessence Publishing (IL). 2000.
- LeResche L. Epidemiology of temporomandibular disorders: implications for the investigation of etiologic factors. Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine.1997 January; 8(3):291-305. Crossref PMid:9260045
- Egermark I, Carlsson GE, Magnusson T. A 20-year longitudinal study of subjective symptoms of temporomandibular disorders from childhood to adulthood. Acta odontologica scandinavica. 2001 February; 59(1):40-8. Crossref PMid:11318044
- Hiltunen K, Peltola JS, Vehkalahti MM, Narhi T, Ainamo A. A 5-Year Follow-up of Signs and Symptoms of TMD and Radiographic Findings in the Elderly. International Journal of Prosthodontics. 2003 Nov-Dec; 16(6):631-4. PMid:14714843
- Winocur E, Steinkeller-Dekel M, Reiter S, Eli I. A retrospective analysis of temporomandibular findings among Israeli-born patients based on the RDC/TMD. Journal of oral rehabilitation.2009 January; 36(1):11-7. Crossref PMid:18976270
- Manfredini D, Guarda-Nardini L, Winocur E, Piccotti F, Ahlberg J, Lobbezoo F. Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders: a systematic review of axis I epidemiologic findings. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology. 2011 October; 112(4):453-62. Crossref PMid:21835653
- Fearon CG, Serwatka WJ. Stress: a common denominator for nonorganic TMJ pain-dysfunction. The
- Journal of prosthetic dentistry. 1983 June; 49(6)805-8. Crossref
- Seligman DA, Pullinger AG, Solberg WK. The prevalence of dental attrition and its association with factors of age, gender, occlusion, and TMJ symptomatology. Journal of dental research.1988 October; 67(10):1323-33. Crossref PMid:3049715
- Pullinger AG, Seligman DA. Trauma history in diagnostic groups of temporomandibular disorders. Oral surgery, oral medicine, and oral pathology. 1991 May; 71(5):529-34. Crossref
- Lavigne GJ, Khoury S, Abe S, Yamaguchi T, Raphael K. Bruxism physiology and pathology: an overview for clinicians. Journal of oral rehabilitation. 2008 July; 35(7):476-94. Crossref PMid:18557915
- Seifeldin SA, Elhayes KA. Soft versus hard occlusal splint therapy in the management of temporomandibular disorders (TMDs).The Saudi dental journal. 2015 October; 27(4):20814. Crossref PMid:26644756 PMCid:PMC4642186
- Alqutaibi AY, Aboalrejal AN. Types of Occlusal Splint in Management of Temporomandibular Disorders (TMD). Journal of Arthritis. 2015 November; 4(4):1-4. Crossref
- Wenzel A, Kirkevang LL. High resolution charge-coupled device sensor vs. medium resolution photostimulable phosphor plate digital receptors for detection of root fractures in vitro. Dent Traumatol. 2005 February; 21(1):32-6. Crossref PMid:15660754
- Klasser GD, Greene CS. Oral appliances in the management of temporomandibular disorders. Oral
- surgery, oral medicine, oral pathology, oral radiology, and endodontics. 2009 February; 107(2):212-23.
- Crossref PMid:19138639
- Harkins S, Marteney JL, Cueva O, Cueva L. Application of soft occlusal splints in patients suffering from clicking temporomandibular joints. Cranio: The journal of Craniomandibular practice. 1988 January; 6(1):71-6. Crossref PMid:3162841
- Krogh-Poulsen W. Treatment of oro-mandibular dysfunction by means of occlusal splints. Scan Odont. 1981; p. 5-13.
- Yadav S, Karani JT. The essentials of occlusal splint therapy. International Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 2011 October; 2(1):12-21.
- Okeson JP. The effects of hard and soft occlusal splints on nocturnal bruxism. Journal of the American Dental Association. 1987 June; 114(6):788-91. Crossref PMid:3475357
- Amin A, Meshramkar R, Lekha K. Comparative evaluation of clinical performance of different kind of occlusal splint in management of myofascial pain. Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society. 2016 April-June; 16(2):176-81. Crossref PMid:27141168 PMCid:PMC4837781
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. PRISMA Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. International Journal of Surgery. 2010; 8(5):336-41. Crossref PMid:20171303
- Higgins JP1, Altman DG, Gotzsche PC, Juni P, Moher D, Oxman AD, Savovic J, Schulz KF, Weeks L, Sterne JA. Cochrane Bias Methods Group; Cochrane Statistical Methods Group. The Cochrane Collaboration’s tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials. British Medical Journal. 2011 October; 18:343.
- Collaboration C. Review Manager (RevMan)[computer program]. Copenhagen: The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration. 2011.
- Harris R, Bradburn M, Deeks J, Harbord R, Altman D, Sterne J. Metan: fixed-and random-effects meta-analysis. The Stata Journal. 2008 September; 8(1):3-28.
- Pettengill CA, Growney MR, Schoff R, Kenworthy CR. A pilot study comparing the efficacy of hard and soft stabilizing appliances in treating patients with temporomandibular disorders. The Journal of prosthetic dentistry. 1998 February; 79(2):165-8. Crossref
- Truelove E, Huggins KH, Mancl L, Dworkin SF. The efficacy of traditional, low-cost and nonsplint therapies for temporomandibular disorder: a randomized controlled trial. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2006 August; 137(8):1099-107. Crossref PMid:16873325
- Cruz-Reyes RA, Martinez-Aragón I, Guerrero-Arias R, Garcia-Zura D, Gonzilez-Sanchez L. Influence of occlusal stabilization splints and soft occlusal splints on the electromyographic pattern, in basal state and at the end of six weeks treatment in patients with bruxism. Acta odontologica latinoamericana. 2011; 24(1):66-74. PMid:22010409
- Karakis D, Dogan A, Bek B. Evaluation of the effect of two different occlusal splints on maximum occlusal force in patients with sleep bruxism: a pilot study. The journal of advanced prosthodontics. 2014 April; 6(2):103-8. Crossref PMid:24843394 PMCid:PMC4024553
- Alencar Jr F, Becker A. Evaluation of different occlusal splints and counselling in the management of myofascial pain dysfunction. Journal of oral rehabilitation. 2009 February; 36(2):79-85. Crossref PMid:18976268
- Glenny A-M, Nieri M, Worthington H, Espostio M. The importance of the study design: from the case report to the randomised controlled clinical trial. European journal of oral implantology. 2008; 1(4):317-21. PMid:20467638
- Alencar F JR, Becker A. Evaluation of different occlusal splints and counselling in the management of myofascial pain dysfunction. Journal of oral rehabilitation. 2009 February; 36(2):79-85. Crossref PMid:18976268
- Boero RP. The physiology of splint therapy: a literature review. The Angle orthodontist. 1989 Fall; 59(3):165-80. PMid:2672904
- Kovaleski WC, De Boever J. Influence of occlusal splints on jaw position and musculature in patients with temporomandibular joint dysfunction. The Journal of prosthetic dentistry. 1975 March; 33(3):321-7. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.