Total views : 225
Wavelet-based Damage Detection Technique via Operational Deflection Shape Decomposition
Background/Objective: Early detection of damage in structures can prevent loss of lives and extend their service life. This has drawn considerable attention of researchers to applying Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) to detect structural damage. Wavelet Transform (WT) is a tool utilized to identify damage in structures by using structural responses. In this study, a WT damage detection method using Operational Deflection Shape (ODS) difference is presented. Method: A two-dimensional Continuous Wavelet Transform (CWT) is utilized to decompose the difference between the ODS of the intact and damaged structure to detect and locate damage. To demonstrate the ability of this technique, a numerical model of a steel plate is applied. Findings: The results show that the location of damage influences damage detectability when the decomposed signal is noisy. Improvements: This method eliminates the problem of border distortion experienced when conventional ODS is applied. The methodology shows the proposed techniques’ simplicity while the results show accuracy.
Cantilever Plate, Continuous Wavelet Transform, Damage Detection, Damage Severity Tree, Deflection Shape.
- Lee JJ, Lee JW, Yi JH, Yun CB, Jung HY. Neural networksbased damage detection for bridges considering errors in baseline finite element models. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2005; 280(3-5):555–78.
- Kasper DG, Swanson DC, Reichard KM. Higher frequency wave number shift and frequency shift in a cracked, vibrating beam. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2008; 312(1–2):1–18.
- Bandara RP, Chan TH, Thambiratnam DP. Structural damage identification with noise polluted frequency response function. Proceedings of the 14th Asia-Pacific Vibration Conference; Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong. 2011. pp. 277–87.
- Vafaei M, Alih SC, Rahman ABA, Adnan A. A waveletbased technique for damage quantification via mode shape decomposition. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering.2014; 11(7):869–83.
- Pandey AK, Biswas M, Samman M. Damage detection from changes in curvature mode shapes. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 1991; 145(2):321–32.
- Xiang J, Matsumoto T, Wang Y, Jiang Z. Detect damages in conical shells using curvature mode shape and wavelet finite element method. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. 2013; 66:83–93.
- Sung SH, Koo KY, Jung HJ. Modal flexibility-based damage detection of cantilever beam-type structures using baseline modification. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2014; 333:4123–38.
- Bakhary N, Hao H, Deeks AJ. Damage detection using Artificial Neural Network with consideration of uncertainties.Engineering Structures. 2007; 29:2806–15.
- Cao M, Ye L, Zhou L, Su Z, Bai R. Sensitivity of fundamental mode shape and static deflection for damage identification in cantilever beams. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2011; 25(2):630–43.
- Hjelmstad KD, Shin S. Damage detection and assessment of structures from static response. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. 2007; 123(6):568–76.
- Waldron K, Ghoshal A, Schulz MJ, Sundaresan MJ, Ferguson F, Pai PF, Chung JH. Damage detection using finite element and laser operational deflection shapes. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design. 2002; 38(3):193–226.
- Rucka M, Wilde K. Crack identification using wavelets on experimental static deflection profile. Engineering Structures. 2006; 28:279–88.
- Frank Pai P, Young LG. Damage detection in beams using operational deflection shapes. International Journal of Solids and Structures. 2001; 38:3161–92.
- Spanos PD, Failla G, Santini A, Pappatico M. Damage detection in Euler–Bernoulli beams via spatial wavelet analysis.Structure Control and Health Monitoring. 2006; 13:472–87.
- Buda G, Caddemi S. Identification of concentrated damages in Euler-Bernoulli beams under static loads. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. 2007; 133(8):942–56.
- Caddemi S, Morassi A. Crack detection in elastic beams by static measurements. International Journal of Solids and Structures. 2007; 44:5301–15.
- Yoon MK, Heider D, Gillespie J, Ratcliffe CP. Crane RM.Local damage detection with the global fitting method using operating deflection shape data. Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation. 2010; 29(1):25–37.
- Mallat S. A wavelet tour of signal processing. New York: Academic Press; 1998. p. 1–123.
- Rucka M, Wilde K. Application of Continuous Wavelet Transform in vibration based damage detection method for beams and plates. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2006; 297(3-5):536–50.
- Computers and Structures. SAP2000. 2014. Version 126.96.36.1997. Available from: https://in.mathworks.com/
- The MathWorks. MATLAB. 2015. R2015a. 2017. Available from: https://www.csiamerica.com/products/sap2000/ releases
- Rucka M. Damage detection in beams using Wavelet Transform on higher vibration modes. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. 2011; 49(2):399–417.
- Ovanesova AV, Suarez LE. Applications of Wavelet Transforms to damage detection in frame structures.Engineering Structures. 2004; 26(1):39–49.
- RedaTaha MM, Noureldin A, Lucero JL, Baca TJ. Wavelet Transform for structural health monitoring a compendium of uses and features. Structural Health Monitoring. 2006; 5(3):267–95.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.