Total views : 91
Extension of Delta-Wye and Wye-Delta Conversions Applicable to Electric Circuits with Voltage Sources
Objectives: To generalize the conventional delta–wye and wye–delta conversions. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The delta–wye and wye–delta conversions have been used to simplify complex electric circuits (networks) consisting of resistors. Three terminal networks consisting of resistors and voltage sources in a wye configuration and in a delta configuration are compared. Findings: In this paper we obtained the conversion relations for emfs from the delta configuation to the wye configuration and vice versa. As an example of the generalization, the conversions are applied to a Wheatstone-bridge type circuit of five batteries and five resistors to obtain its Thévenin’s equivalent. The conversions are applicable to ac as well as dc circuits. As an example of ac circuits the currents through unbalanced loads in a wye configuration connected to a three-phase generator in a delta configuration are calculated. Application/Improvements: The generalized conversions allow to simplify dc and ac circuits.
Delta-Wye Conversion, Electric Circuit, Voltage Source, Wye-Delta Conversion
- Suresh Kumar KS. Electric Circuits and Networks. 11th ed Dorling Kindersley. New Delhi. 2007.
- Hong SI, Choi J-Y, Kim B-O. Roles of batteries based on their power production and consumption. New physics.2004 Mar; 48(3): 223-8.
- Van Baak DA. Variational alternatives to Kirchhoff’s loop theorem in dc circuits. American Journal of Physics.1999 Jan; 67(1):36–44. Crossref
- Doyle PG, Snell JL. Random Walks and Electric circuits.Washinton DC: Mathematical Association of America.
- ; Chap 3.
- Kennelly AE. Equivalence of triangles and stars in conducting circuits. Electrical World and Engineer. 1899; 34:413–4.6. Baxter RJ. Exactly Solved Models in Statistical Mechanics. London: Academic Press; 1982; 80–6.
- Johnson JB. Thermal Agitation of Electricity in Conductors. Physical Review. 1928 Jul; 32(1): 97–109. Crossref
- Nyquist H. Thermal Agitation of Electric Charge in Conductors. Physical Review. 1928 Jul; 32(1):110–3. Crossref
- Hong SI, Choi J-Y. Structure of equivalent EMF and equivalent internal resistance for a Wheatstone-bridgetype combination of five batteries. New Physics. 2007 Jun; 54(6):526–9.
- Robertson BL. Three-phase systems with unbalanced wye-connected loads. Electrical Engineering. 1941 Feb; 60(2):80–5. Crossref
- Youb L. Effects of Unbalanced Voltage on the Steady State of the Induction Motors. International Journal of Electrical Energy. 2014 Mar; 2(1):34–8. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.