Total views : 139
Low Firing Zn Metallic Composite Glazes for Earthenware
Objectives: To study the effect of Zn powder content (0-40 wt%) on low firing metallic composite glaze on earthenware fabricated at 1100°C under oxidizing and partially reducing firing atmosphere. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The raw glaze was characterized by TGA-DSC. The fired glaze was characterized by XRD (X-Ray Diffraction) and SEM (Scanning Electron Microscopy). The chemical resistance and water contact angle of fired glaze were also investigated. Findings: The glaze made with 10% Zn powder has green color and some dark green stripes of CuO and Fe2O3 in oxidizing firing atmosphere. Contrary, the glaze has shiny violet-green aspect of the mixture of the deep blue color of FeO and CuO, and some Zn metallic luster after firing in a reducing atmosphere. The glazes appear has rough surfaces with the greenish brown color. when more Zn powder is added (20-40 wt%) by firing in an oxidizing atmosphere, light brown and opaque appearance is observed after firing in partially reducing conditions. This was attributed to the formation of Fe3O4. The shiny crystals of Zn2SiO4 and a small amount of metallic Zn are formed in the fired glaze prepared in reducing atmosphere. The fired glaze surface can be corroded by both acidic and basic solutions. Finally, the fabricated fired glaze surface is easyto- clean with water contact angle of ≈56°. Application/Improvements: These results could be applied to the local clay earthenware for luster decoration providing an added value to the products.
Low Firing, Oxidizing Atmosphere, Partially Reducing Atmosphere, Tapoh Clay, Zn Metallic Composite Glazes.
- Roque J, Pradell T, Molera J, Vendrell-Saz M. Evidence of nucleation and growth of metal Cu and Ag nanoparticles in lustre: AFM surface characterization. Journal of NonCrystalline Solids. 2005; 351(6-7):568-75. Crossref.
- Gualtieri AF, Canovi L,Viani A, Bertocchi P, Corradini C, Gualtieri ML, Gazzadi GC, Zapparoli M, Berthier S. Mechanism of lustre formation in scheelite-based glazes. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. 2013April; 33(11):2055-64. Crossref.
- Lafait J, Berthier S, Andraud C, Reillon V, Boulenguez J. Physical colors in cultural heritage: Surface plasmons in glass. Comptes Rendus Physique. 2009; 10(7):649-59. Crossref.
- Bobin O, Schvoerer M, Miane JF. Coloured metallic shine associated to lustre decoration of glazed ceramics: a theoretical analysis of the optical properties. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 2003, 332(1-3):28-34. Crossref
- Malins JP, Tonge KH. Reduction processes in the formation of lustre glazed ceramics. Thermochimica Acta. 1999; 340341:395-405. Crossref.
- Reinosa JJ, Romero JJ, de la Rubia MA, del Campo A, Fernandez JF. Inorganic hydrophobic coatings: Surfaces mimicking the nature. Ceramics International. 2013; 39(3):2489-95. Crossref.
- Wannagon A, Prasanphan S, Sanguanpak S. Characterization of Li-Zn-Fe crystalline phases in low temperature ceramic glaze. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. 2013; 33(4):653-60. Crossref.
- Cacciotti I, Nanni F, Campaniello V, Lamastra FR. Development of a transparent hydro repellent modified SiO2 coatings for glazed sanitary wares. Materials Chemistry and Physics. 2014; 146(3):240-52. Crossref.
- Akhter R, Li L, Edwards RE, Gale AW. Porosity/bubble formation mechanism in laser surface enamelling. Applied Surface Science. 2003; 208-209:447-52. Crossref.
- Colombo P, Brusatin G, Bernardo E, Scarinci G. Inertization and reuse of waste materials by vitrification and fabrication of glass-based products. Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science. 2003; 7(3):225-39. Crossref.
- Ferreira da Silva MG. Optical properties and crystallization behaviour of some MnO and/or Fe2O3-containing silicate glasses and glass-ceramics. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 2016; 447:223-32. Crossref.
- Palamara E, Zacharias N, Xanthopoulou M, Kasztovszky Z, Kovacs I, Palles D, Kamitsos EI. Technology issues of Byzantine glazed pottery from Corinth, Greece. Microchemical Journal. 2016; 129:137-50. Crossref.
- Zhu J, Shi P, Wang F, Zhao T. Preparation of the moon-white glaze by carbothermic reduction of Fe2O3 and SiC. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. 2015; 35(16):4603-9. Crossref.
- Karasu B, Turan S. Effects of cobalt, copper, manganese and titanium oxide additions on the microstructures of zinc containing soft porcelain glazes. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. 2002; 22:1447-55. Crossref.
- Reinosa JJ, Romero JJ, Jaquotot P, Bengochea MA, Fernandez JF. Copper based hydrophobic ceramic nanocoating. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. 2012; 32(2):277-82. Crossref.
- Rajaboopathi S, Thambidurai S. Heterostructure of CdOZnO nanoparticles intercalated on PANI matrix for better thermal and electrochemical performance. Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing. 2017; 59:56-67. Crossref.
- Shaheen WM, Maksod IHAE. Thermal characterization of individual and mixed basic copper carbonate and ammonium metavanadate systems. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2009; 476(1-2):366-72. Crossref.
- Ayodele OB, Hameed BH. Synthesis of copper pillared bentonite ferrioxalate catalyst for degradation of 4-nitrophenol in visible light assisted Fenton process. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. 2013; 19:966-74. Crossref.
- Osmieri L, Videla AHAM, Armandi M, Specchia S. Influence of different transition metals on the properties of Me-N-C (Me = Fe, Co, Cu, Zn) catalysts synthesized using SBA-15 as tubular nano-silica reactor for oxygen reduction reaction. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2016; 41(47):22570-88. Crossref.
- Aguiar R, Logvinovich D, Weidenkaff A, Rachel A, Reller A, Ebbinghaus SG. The vast colour spectrum of ternary metal oxynitride pigments. Dyes and Pigments. 2008; 76(1):70-5. Crossref.
- Zhang Y, Zhao Y, Zhu Y, Wu H, Wang H, Lu W. Adsorption of mixed cationic-nonionic surfactant and its effect on bentonite structure. Journal of Environmental Sciences. 2012; 24(8):1525-32. Crossref.
- Ahmed IS, Shama SA, Moustafa MM, Dessouki HA, Ali AA. Synthesis and spectral characterization of CoxMg1− xAl2O4 as new nano-coloring agent of ceramic pigment. Spectrochimica Acta Part A. 2009; 74(3):665-72. Crossref. PMid:19720563.
- Bolokang AS, Phasha MJ. Formation of titanium nitride produced from nanocrystalline titanium powder under nitrogen atmosphere. International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials. 2010; 28(5):610-5. Crossref.
- Smeacetto F, Galassi S, Ventrella A, Ferraris M, Fontana D, Salvo M. New glass-based coatings coloured with red pigments for Foamglas® panels. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. 2013; 33(9):1517-23. Crossref.
- Wang W, Tian G, Zong L, Wang Q, Zhou Y, Wang A. Mesoporous hybrid Zn-silicate derived from red palygorskite clay as a high-efficient adsorbent for antibiotics. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. 2016; 234:317-25. Crossref.
- Tafreshi M, Allahkaram SR, Farhangi H. Comparative study on structure, corrosion properties and tribological behavior of pure Zn and different Zn-Ni alloy coatings. Materials Chemistry and Physics. 2016; 183(1):263-72. Crossref.
- Mohan AC, Renjanadevi B. Preparation of zinc oxide nanoparticles and its characterization using scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and X-ray diffraction (XRD). Procedia Technology. 2016; 24:761-6. Crossref.
- Deerattrakul V, Dittanet P, Sawangphruk M, Kongkachuichay P. CO2 hydrogenation to methanol using Cu-Zn catalyst supported on reduced graphene oxide nanosheets. Journal of CO2 Utilization. 2016; 16:104-13.
- Li M, Peng B, Chai L, Peng N, Xie HX, Yan H. Technological mineralogy and environmental activity of zinc leaching residue from zinc hydrometallurgical process. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China. 2013; 23(5):1480-8. Crossref.
- Yan Y, Cao H, Kang Y, Yu K, Xiao T, Luo J, Deng Y, Fang H, Xiong H, Dai Y. Effects of Zn concentration and heat treatment on the microstructure, mechanical properties and corrosion behavior of as-extruded Mg-Zn alloys produced by powder metallurgy. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2017; 693:1277-89. Crossref.
- Partyka J, Lis J. Chemical corrosion of sanitary glazes of variable grain size composition in acid and basic aqueous solution media. Ceramics International. 2012; 38(1):553-60. Crossref.
- Kuisma R, Froberg L, Kymalainen HR, Leinonen PE, Piispanen M, Melamies P, Hautala M, Sjoberg AM, Hupa L. Structure and clean ability of uncoated and fluoropolymer, zirconia and titania coated ceramic glazed surfaces. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. 2007; 27(1):101-8. Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.