Total views : 113
Factors Influencing on Cultural Competence of Undergraduate Nursing Students in Korea
Background/Objectives: This research was conducted to examine cultural competence and to verify variables related to cultural competence, as well as the factors contributing to cultural competence in nursing students in Korea. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Descriptive statistics were calculated, including the frequency, mean, standard deviation, and rank. T-test and ANOVA were used to compare the differences in cultural competence according to general characteristics. A person’s coefficient was used to analyze the correlation among variables. Hierarchical multiple regression analysis was used to identify the influence of empathy and cultural experience on the cultural competence. Findings: The results showed an average cultural competence score of 3.37. There was a positive correlation between cultural competence and empathic ability. Factors influencing cultural competence included empathic concern, a need for cultural education, fantasy, and multicultural contact in school activities. Therefore, the development of a program for cultural competence is required to increase empathic concern and fantasy as well as to expand cultural education in order to enhance the cultural competence of undergraduate nursing students. Improvements/Applications: This research would be beneficial to develop an educational program for improving empathic concern and to provide opportunities that promote multicultural acceptance for nursing students to acquire cultural competence
Cultural Competence, Competence, Empathy, Undergraduate Nursing Students.
- Kim YH. Diversification in Korea and cultural competence in social welfare. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies. 2007; 35:117–44.
- Kim SH, Ahn OH, Choi HJ, Park YS, Baek SS, Jeon MS. Understanding & health for multi- culture. Jungdam Media: Seoul; 2012.
- Hovey JD, Magana CG. Psychosocial predictors of anxiety among immigrant Mexican migrant farmworker: Implication for prevention and treatment. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology. 2002; 8:274–89.
- Chae DH, Park YH, Kang KH, Lee TH. A study on factors affecting cultural competence of general hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2012, 18:76–86.
- Campinha-Bacote J. Becoming culturally competent in ethnic psychopharmacology. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services. 2007; 45:27–33.
- Fantini AE. Exploring intercultural competence. Research report, 7(1), Center for Social Development (CSD): Global Service Institute Washington University: St. Louis; 2007.
- Weaver HN. Explorations in cultural competence. Belmont, CA: Thomson Brooks/Cole; 2005.
- Sue DW, Arrendondo P, McDavis RJ. Multicultural counselling competencies: individual and organizational development. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 1998.
- Han HW, Yi BJ. Research on development on multicultural competence and assessment tool: focused on lifelong & human resource development. Korean Journal of Cultural Arts Education Studies. 2011; 6:63–82.
- Jang HS. The effects of achievement of developmental tasks in adolescence on 5-factor personality characteristics, self-esteem and happiness. The Korean Journal of Development Psychology. 2010; 23:1–17.
- Hoffman ML. Empathy and moral development: implications for caring justice, Cambridge University Press; 2001.
- Davis MH. Measuring individual differences in empathy: Evidence for a multidimensional approach. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1983; 44:113–26.
- Peek EH. The effects of a multi-cultural educational program on cultural competence, empathy and self efficacy of nursing students. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Catholic University: Seoul; 2012.
- Kim MK. The effect of sand play therapy on multicultural mothers’ empathy ability and their child’s depression and self-esteem. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(25):1–4.
- Jeffrey CL. Empathy and competence. The Medical Journal of Australia. 2008; 188:414–16.
- Yoon IJ, Song YH. South Koreans’ perception of national identity and acceptance of multiculturalism. Korean Journal of Unification Affairs. 2009; 23:143–92.
- Calvillo E, Clark L, Ballantyne JE, Pacquiao D, Purnell LD, Villarruel AM. Cultural competence in baccalaureate nursing education. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2009; 20:137–45.
- Douglas MK, Pierce JU, Rosenkoetter M, Pacquiao D, Callister LC, Hatter PM, Lauderdale J, Nardi D, Purnell L. Standards of practice for culturally competent nursing care: 2011 update. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2011; 22:317–33.
- Olt H, Jirwe M, Gustavsson P, Emami A. Psychometric evaluation of the Swedish adaptation of the inventory for assessing the process of cultural competence among healthcare professional: Revised (IAPCC-R). Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2009; 21:55–64.
- St. Clair A, McKenry L. Preparing culturally competent practitioners. Journal of Nursing Education. 1999; 38:228–34.
- Choi SY. A study on the development of cultural competence measure for helping professions. Journal of Community Welfare. 2010; 25:23–53.
- Chiu CY, Lonner WJ, Matsumoto D, Ward C. Cross-cultural competence: Theory, research, and application. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 2013; 44:843–8.
- An OH, Baek SS, Kim JS. Cultural competence by multicultural experiences of nursing college students. Journal of the Korean Society for Multicultural Health. 2012; 2:19–26.
- An OH, Kim KH, Kim JS, Lee EK, Song MS. Cultural competence and recognition of multicultural families in hospital nurses. Journal of the Korean Society for Multicultural Health. 2012; 2:43–8.
- Min SH, Lee MY. A exploratory study about the cultural competence of university students - focused on the cultural awareness. Journal of Adolescent Welfare. 2009; 11:183–206.
- Kardong-Edgren S, Cason CL, Brennan AM, Reifsnider E, Hummel F, Mancini M, Griffin C. Cultural competence of graduating BSN nursing students. Nursing Education Perspectives. 2010; 31:278–85.
- Beach MC, Price EG, Gary TL, Robinson KA, Gozu A, Palacio A, C, Jenck Smarth es MW, Feuerstein C, Bass EB, Powe NR, Cooper LA. Cultural competence: a systematic review of health care provider educational intervention. Medical Care. 2005; 43:356–73.
- Oh WO, Jung WS, Kang HG, Kim EH, Suk MH. Cultural knowledge, empathy and cultural sensitivity of university students majoring in health and welfare. Journal of the Korean Society of School Health. 2010; 23:192–9.
- Caffrey RA, Neander W, Markle D, Stewart B. Improving the cultural competence of nursing students: results of integrating cultural content in the curriculum and an international immersion experience. The Journal of Nursing Education. 2005; 44:234–40.
- Crosson JC, Deng W, Brazeau C, Boyd L, Soto-Greene, M. Evaluating the effect of cultural competence training on medical student attitudes. Family Medicine. 2004; 36:199–203.
- Lee GC, Park YS, Lee HK, Lee KJ. The effect of a convergence multi-cultural nursing education program on cultural competence and empathy for nursing students. The Journal of Digital Policy and Management. 2015; 13.
- Mercer SW, Reynolds WJ. Empathy and quality of care. The British Journal of General Practice. 2002; 52(Suppl):S9.
- Lee YM, Kim MK. The effect of filial therapy on physically disabled mothers’ empathy ability and their non-disabled children’s behavior problems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(25):1–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.