Total views : 247
A Study on the Whitening Effect of Fruit Extracts and the Changes in the Components of the Teeth
Background/Objectives: In this regard, this study aimed to examine the teeth-whitening effect of undiluted and diluted extracts of Korean natural citron, grapefruit, and plum and analyze the components of teeth. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In this study, 55 premolars in the upper and lower jaw extracted in recent few months were used as test pieces. Extracts of citron, grapefruit, and plum were used as solutions. Each of the test pieces was deposited into undiluted solution and diluted solution (one to one ratio of undiluted solution in distilled water) for 3, 6, and 9 hours, respectively. The color difference was examined using a Spectrophotometer (CM-3500d, Minolta, Japan). Changes in components of the teeth after they were deposited into the extracts of citron, grapefruit, and plum were compared to their initial state. SPSS ver. 20.0 was used for statistical analysis. Mann-Whitney test was performed to compare the pre-post difference within and between test pieces. Kruskal-Wallis test was implemented to compare the averaged values of E* (color difference) by time. Tukey´s test was carried out with 95% confidence interval for the post test. Findings: The whitening effect of citron extract was increased as time went by. The diluted solution with one to one ratio of the citron extract in distilled water showed the highest whitening effect after depositing for 3 hours. The whitening effect of grapefruit extract was increased as time went by. The diluted solution with one to one ratio of the grapefruit extract in distilled water showed the highest whitening effect after depositing for 6 hours. Plume extract had the highest whitening effect after depositing for 6 hours. The diluted solution with one to one ratio of the plum extract in distilled water showed the highest whitening effect after depositing for 3 hours. Components of P and Ca were irregularly increased or decreased in test pieces both before and after the depositions of teeth into fruit extracts. Improvements/Applications: In this study, the colors of teeth in extracts of citron, grapefruit, and plum turned brighter than the initial color as time went by. Follow-up studies are needed.
Citron, Grapefruit, Natural Liquid Fruit, Teeth-whitening, Teeth Whitening Effect.
- Ham HJ. Review on structural effects of bleaching in teeth. Unpublished master’s thesis. Chonnam National University; 2009.
- Kang HK, Lim HJ. The relation between Korean traditional fermented food and discoloration on bleached tooth. The Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2012; 13(10):4717–24.
- Park MY. Evaluation of bleaching effect, enamel surface and cytotoxicity according to the variation of dental office bleaching methods. Unpublished Master’s Dissertation.Yonsei University; 2012.
- Woo GJ. Comparison of whitening toothpastes effect on containing hydroxyapatite and hydrogen peroxide.Unpublished Master’s thesis. Kyungpook National University; 2013.
- Kim DS, Kim DH, Oh MJ, Lee KG, Kook MC, Park CS.Antiaging and whitening activities of ethanol extract of Yuza (Citrus junos SIEB ex TANAKA) By-product. The Journal of SCSK. 2010; 36(2):137–43.
- Park HK, Kim SB. Antimicrobial activity of grapefruit seed extract. The Journal of Korean Journal Food & Nutrition.2006; 19(4):526–31.
- Park HJ, Kim MM, Oh YH. Effect of fruit extract of Prunusmume on the cavenging activity of reactive oxygen species and melanin production in B16F1 cells. Journal of Life Science. 2012; 22(7):936–42.
- Lee JS. Antimicrobial effect of prunusmume extract against streptococcus mutans and streptococcus sobrinus.Unpublished Master’s Thesis. Chonnam National University; 2014.
- Kang KS. Recent trends of tooth bleaching. Unpublished Master’s thesis. Chonnam National University; 2012.
- Goo HJ. Tooth bleaching changes the tooth shade reduction and consequent satisfaction. Unpublished Master’s Dissertation. Kyungpook National University; 2013.
- Kim JY. A study of dantal bleaching agent through documentary consideration. Unpublished Master’s Dissertation.Chonnam National University; 2010.
- Shim YS, Choi JY. Effect of bleaching on restorative materials and restorations-review. The Journal of Dental Hygiene Science. 2006; 6(3):153–8.
- Bahng KH. Maintenance of teeth brightness with 0.3% H2O2 containing toothpaste after use of 3.0% H2O2 brightening gel. Unpublished Master’s Dissertation. Kyunghee University; 2008.
- Lee EH. Study on the development of ultrasonic whitening machine to enhancing the effect whitening of teeth. Unpublished Master’s thesis. Management Korea Polytechnic University; 2014.
- Shim YS, Choi WY. The effect of fluoride and casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate (CPPACP) publication on the color and micro hardness of bleached enamel. The Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene. 2010; 10(3):473–81.
- Kim HY, Nam SH, Choi JO, Kwun HS, Jeong MA. An Evaluation of Whitening Effect and Micro hardness on the Enamel Surface by White Toothpaste. The Journal of Korea Contents Association. 2013; 13(10):427–33.
- Lee JY. A study of tooth whitening effects on hydrogen peroxide tooth whitener of strip type used on natural teeth for 2 weeks. Unpublished Master’s. Thesis. Kyunghee University; 2004.
- Lee Y. The effectiveness of sealing technique on in-office bleaching.Unpublished Master’s thesis. Yonsei University; 2007.
- Kim EJ. Effects of titratable acidity and organic acids on enamel erosion in vitro. Unpublished Master’s thesis. Seoul National University; 2013.
- Lee TH. Carcinogenic Potentials of Carbamide Peroxide in Human Epithelial Cells. Unpublished Master’s Dissertation.Kyungpook National University; 2007.
- Choi HS, Son HK, Kim KM. Longevity of tooth whitening by hydrogen peroxide using cold plasma. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(18):918–20.
- Shim YS. Effect of in-office bleaching application on the color, microhardness and surface roughness of five esthetic restorative materials. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 4(1):918–20.
- Jeong HA, Roh SS, Lim SY. Study on effects of herbal extracts on tooth whitening, antioxidant, nitric oxide synthesis and Streptoccocusmutans. The Journal of Oriental Medical Surgery, Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology.2002; 15(2):1–19.
- Kim YJ. The effect of soft drinks on dental hydroxyapatite.Unpublished Master’s Dissertation. Dongguk University; 2003.
- Lee JH. The study of tooth enamel decalcification by SEM observation with Beverage. Catholic University of Daegu.Unpublished Master’s Thesis; 2002.
- Lee HJ, Oh HN, Hong SJ, Choi CH. Original articles: Effect of hangover beverage containing fluoride and calcium on enamel erosion. The Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health. 2012; 36(3):177–84.
- Kim MA, Jeong SS, Youn HJ, Park YN, Choi CH, Hong SJ.Original Articles: The erosive effect of some commercial yogurts including different calcium contents on enamel surface. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health. 2011; 35(3):266–72.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.