Total views : 90
Simulation Study of Dynamic Observing Period Adjustment for CoAP-based Monitoring Systems
Objectives: This paper is a simulation study of dynamic observing period adjustment (DOPA) to determine the appropriate DOPA stage value that prevents the buffer overflow in various constrained application protocol (CoAP) based monitoring systems. Methods/Statistical Analysis: To determine the appropriate DOPA stage value for various CoAP-based monitoring systems, we set a variety of simulation scenarios that use different values of simulation parameters and investigate the number of successful transmissions and dropped messages of each simulation. Then, we determine the appropriate DOPA stage value of each scenario, which prevents buffer overflow and maximizes the number of successful transmissions simultaneously. Findings: The experimental simulation is conducted under various simulation scenarios. The simulation results show that the appropriate DOPA stage value increases as the number of devices or payload size increases. It also increases when the observing period of servers or clock rate decreases. The correlations between the DOPA stage value and simulation parameters are obtained through these results, which is used for determining the appropriate DOPA stage value. Improvements/Applications: Our study can be used to provide an optimal observing period for buffer overflow prevention in various monitoring systems.
Buffer Overflow, CoAP, DOPA, DOPA Stage Value, Monitoring Systems, Observing Period.
- Akerkar R. Analytics on big aviation data: Turning data into insights. International Journal of Computer Science and Applications. 2014; 11(3):116–27.
- Shelby Z, Hartke K, Bormann C. The constrained application protocol (CoAP), RFC 7252. 2014 June.
- Kuladinithi K, Bergmann O, Becker T, Gorg C.Implementation of CoAP and its application in transport logistics. USA: Proceedings of IP+ SN. 2011; p. 1–7.
- Becker M, Potsch T, Kuladinithi K, Goerg C. Deployment of CoAP in transport logistics. Germany: Proceedings of the 36th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN). 2011; p. 1–3.
- Madhumitha P, Johnsema B, Manivannan D. Domination of constrained application protocol: A requirement approach for optimization of Internet of things in wireless sensor networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 March; 7(3):296–300.
- Divya MD, Korlepara R. Performance evaluation of CoAP and UDP using NS-2 for fire alarm system. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(20):1–6.
- Luhach AK. Analysis of lightweight cryptographic solutions for Internet of things, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 July; 9(28):1–7.
- Hartke K. Observing resources in the constrained application protocol (CoAP), RFC 7641. 2015 September.
- Kim S, Kwon J-H, Lee H-H, Cha M, Lee S, Kim E-J, Dynamic observing period adjustment for CoAP. Korea: Proceedings of the 2016 World Congress on Information Technology Applications and Services (WITC). 2016; p. 1–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.