Total views : 124
Evaluation on Availability of MTF Measurement Using the ACR Phantom in MRI
Background/Objectives: The aim of this study is to evaluate the availability of MTF measurement as a quantitative method of MRI spatial resolution evaluation using the ACR phantom that is internationally used for MRI quality control. Methods/Statistical analysis: Images were obtained using both 1.5T MRI and 3.0T MRI and by changing slice thickness, ETL, and matrix size in the default image parameter which is involved in spatial resolution to assess if spatial resolution change in MRI is reflected in MTF measurement. The plot profile measured through ImageJ was expressed as MTF curves using Origin Pro through the Differential-Fast Fourier transform-Smooth-Normalization process. Findings: We observed that 10% MTF values of ETL 10 and ETL 40 measured using 1.5T MRI and 3.0T MRI were higher for ETL 10 and 1.5T MRI was shown to have a higher magnetic field strength than 3.0T MRI. On 10% MTF values comparison of slice thickness 2 mm and slice thickness 8 mm, both 1.5T MRI and 3.0T MRI were shown to have a higher value for slice thickness 2 mm and 3.0T MRI had a higher value than 1.5T MRI. On comparison of matrix sizes 128*128, 256*256, and 512*512, with the increase in matrix size, 10% MTF values were increased for both 1.5T MRI and 3.0T MRI and 3.0T MRI was found to have a higher value than 1.5T MRI. Improvements/Applications: The MTF technique could accurately distinguish between low spatial resolution and high spatial resolution and it can be considered to be useful in the quality control of MRI spatial resolution.
IJST, MTF, MRI, Quality Control, Quantitative Measurement, Spatial Resolution.
- Aydingoz U. The Nobel Prize in medicine for 2003 goes to magnetic resonance imaging. Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences. 2003; 33(6):345–6.
- Kauffman, George. Nobel Prize for MRI imaging denied to Raymond V. Damadian a decade ago. Chemical Educator. 2014; 19:73–90.
- Lee JS. Current status of quality management of medical imaging in Korea. Journal of the Korean Medical Association. 2015; 58(12):1119–24.
- Cho HH, Paik SH, Hwang JY, Choi WC, Shim JH. The survey of magnetic resonance imaging quality according to magnetic field strength in Korea. Journal of the Korean Society of Radiology. 2012; 67(2):129–34.
- Park YW, Lim CH, Jung HR, Yang ON, Baek CM. Appropriate inspection distance of digital X-ray imaging equipment for diagnosis. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S8):380–6.
- Joo YC, Lim CH, Lee HS, Lim WT, Kim HJ, Jung HR, You IG. Comparison with overlap area of scapular and lung field according to position on chest radiography. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(25):1–5.
- Mori I, Machida Y. Deriving the modulation transfer function of CT from extremely noisy edge profiles. Radiological Physics and Technology. 2009; 2(1):22–32.
- Fujita H, Tsai D Y, Itoh T, Doi K, Morishita J, Ueda K, Ohtsuka A. A simple method for determining the modulation transfer functions in digital radiography. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transactions on Medical Imaging. 1992; 11(1):34–9.
- Jung SE. Principles of quality management in medical imaging. Journal of the Korean Medical Association. 2015; 58(12):1112–8.
- Woo JE, Lee YG, Bae SH, Kim YG. An evaluation method of x ray imaging system resolution for non-engineers. Journal of the Korean Society of Radiological Technology. 2012; 35(4):309–14.
- Sze G, Kawamura Y, Negish C, Constable RT, Merriam M, Oshio K, Jolesz F. Fast spin-echo MR imaging of the cervical spine: influence of echo train length and echo spacing on image contrast and quality. American Journal of Neuro Radiology. 1993; 14(5):1203–13.
- Choi JI, Na DG, Kim HH, Shin YM, Ahn KJ, Lee JY. Quality control of medical imaging. Journal of the Korean Radiological Society. 2004; 50(5):317–31.
- Vermiglio G, Testagrossa B, Causa F, Acri G, Tripepi MG. Procedures for evaluation of slice thickness in medical imaging systems. INTECH Open Access Publisher; 2011.
- Mahmoudzadeh AP, Kashou NH. Evaluation of interpolation effects on up sampling and accuracy of cost functions-based optimized automatic image registration. Journal of Biomedical Imaging. 2013; 2013:1–19.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.