Total views : 118
Factors Influencing Health-related Quality of Life in Korean Elderly with Rheumatoid Arthritis
Objectives: This study was conducted to identify factors that are associated with health-related quality of life (HRQoL)in elderly people with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). Methods/Statistical Analysis: A total of 184 subjects, aged 65 to 89 years old, who have RA were selected from the data of the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES 2010-2014). Socio-demographic, health related, lifestyle and disease related characteristics were measured through a questionnaire. HRQoL was evaluated using EuroQol 5-dimension (EQ-5D). Descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA and hierarchical multiple regression analysis were conducted with SPSS/WIN 22.0. Findings: The mean score of EQ-5D index of subjects was 0.77, indicating a moderate level of HRQoL. The results of multiple regression analysis showed that the knee joint stiffness, subjective health status, sleep duration, employment, and age significantly predicted HRQoL in the elderly people with RA, explaining 39.5% of the variance. Improvements/Applications: Health care providers should consider that interventions improving knee joint stiffness and sleep duration are required to enhance the HRQoL in the elderly people with RA.
Elderly, Health-Related Quality of Life, Knee Joint Stiffness, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Subjective Health Status.
- Korean Statistical Information Service. 2013 Statistics on the Aged; 2013. Available from: http://kosis.kr/
- Shin KR, Byeon YS, Kang YH, Oak JW. A study on physical symptom, activity of daily living, and health-related quality of life in the community-dwelling older adults. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2008 Jun; 38(3):437–44.
- Lee HS. The factors influencing health-related quality of life in the elderly-focused on the general characteristics, health habits, mental health, chronic disease, and nutrient intake status: data from the fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V), 2010-2012. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition. 2014; 19(5):479–89.
- Yang SO, Cho HR, Lee SH. Acomparative study on influencing factors of health related quality of life of the elderly in senior center by region: focus on urban and rural areas.Journal of Digital Convergence. 2014; 12(1):501–10.
- Kim JY, Lee SG, Lee SK. The relationship between health behaviors, health status, activities of daily living and health-related quality of life in the elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2010; 30(2):471–84.
- Ju SJ, Kim KS. The relationship among quality of life, depression and subjective health status of elderly with chronic disease in Korea. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015 Jul; 8(16):1–8.
- Yoo IY. SEQ-VAS and EQ-5D index by health status in the community dwelling elders with osteoarthritis. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S1):327–32.
- Kim JY. Factors affecting health related quality of life among aged [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Gimhae, Korea: Inje University; 2014.
- Shin JW, Park YK, Suh SR, Kim JE. Factors influencing quality of life in elderly diabetic patients of Korea: Analysis from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey in 2008. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2011 Aug; 31(3):479–87.
- Kim MJ, Bae SH. Factors influencing health-related quality of life in older adults with osteoarthritis: Based on the 2010-2011 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health. 2014 Dec; 21(3):195–205.
- Scott DL, Wolfe F, Huizinga TW. Rheumatoid arthritis.Lancet. 2010 Sep; 376(9746):1094–108.
- Rasch EK, Hirsch R, Paulose-Ram R, Hochberg MC. Prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis in person 60 years of age and older in the United States: Effect of different methods of case classification. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 2003 Apr; 48(4):917–26.
- Bae SC. The current status of surveys on prevalence of rheumatic disease in Korea. The Journal of the Korean Rheumatism Association. 2010; 17(1):1–3.
- Laiho K, Tuomilehto J, Tilvis R. Prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis and musculoskeletal diseases in the elderly population.Rheumatology International. 2001; 20(3):85–7.
- Uhm DC, Nam ES, Lee HY, Lee EB, Yoon YI, Chai GJ. Health-related quality of life in Korean patients with rheumatoid arthritis: Association with pain, disease activity, disability on activities of daily living and depression. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing. 2012; 42(3):434–42.
- Kim CG, Oh KT, Choe JY, Bae SC. Health-related quality of life in Korean patients with rheumatoid arthritis. The Journal of the Korean Rheumatism Association. 2002 Dec; 9(4S):60–72.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available from: http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/
- EuroQol Group. EuroQol-a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. Health Policy. 1990; 16(3):199–208.
- Linde L, Sørensen J, Ostergaard M, Hørslev-Petersen K, Hetland ML. Health-related quality of life: Validity, reliability, and responsiveness of SF-36, 15D, EQ-5D [corrected] RAQoL, and HAQ in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.The Journal of Rheumatology. 2008 Aug; 35(8):1528–37.
- Rabin R, de Charro F. EQ-5D: A measure of health status from the EuroQoL Group. Annals of Medicine. 2001; 33(5):337–43.
- Uhlig T, Loge JH, Kristiansen IS, Kvien TK. Quantification of reduced health-related quality of life in patients with rheumatoid arthritis compared to the general population.The Journal of Rheumatology. 2007 Jun; 34(6):1241–7.
- Ovayolu N, Ovayolu O, Karadag G. Health-related quality of life in ankylosing spondylitis, fibromyalgia syndrome, and rheumatoid arthritis: A comparison with a selected sample of healthy individuals. Clinical Rheumatology.2011May; 30(5):655–64.
- Park JH, Lee MK, Lee JH, Jin HJ. The effect of Korean elderly’s prosthetic status on health related quality by using EuroQol-5 dimension. Journal of Dental Hygiene Science.2014 Jun; 14(3):417–23.
- Gong G, Mao J. Health-related quality of life among Chinese patients with rheumatoid arthritis: The predictive roles of fatigue, functional disability, self-efficacy, and social support. Nursing Research. 2016 Jan-Feb; 65(1):55–67.
- Geryk LL, Carpenter DM, Blalock SJ, DeVellis RF, Jordan JM. The impact of co-morbidity on health-related quality of life in rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis patients.Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology. 2015; 33(3):366– 74.
- Kim KI, Lee JH, Kim CH. Impaired health-related quality of life in elderly women is associated with multimorbidity: Results from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Gender Medicine. 2012; 9(5):309–18.
- Sparks JA, Chang SC, Liao KP, Lu B, Fine AR, Solomon DH, Costenbader KH, Karlson EW. Rheumatoid arthritis and mortality among women during 36 years of prospective follow-up: Results from the nurses’ health study. Arthritis Care and Research (Hoboken). 2016; 68(6):753–62.
- Purabdollah M, Lakdizaji S, Rahmani A, Hajalilu M, Ansarin K. Relationship between sleep disorders, pain and quality of life in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Caring Sciences. 2015; 4(3):233–41.
- Lee EN. Effects of brisk walking and muscle strengthening exercise using Thera-Band on pain, fatigue, physical function, and disease activity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing. 2001; 4(1):84–93.
- Lee KY, Jeong OY. The effect of Tai Chi movement in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2006; 36(2):278–85.
- Lee HK. The effects of aromatherapy on elders’ chronic pain, sleep. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2016; 14(7):385–95.
- Lee SH. Gender difference in influencing factors on health related quality of life among the elderly in community.Journal of Digital Convergence. 2013; 11(12):523–35.
- Wan SW, He HG, Mak A, Lahiri M, Luc N, Cheung PP, Wang W. Health-related quality of life and its predictors among patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Applied Nursing Research. 2016; 30:176–83.
- Lu SR, Lin HY, Lin KC, Lin HR. Quality of life in middleaged and older Taiwanese patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Nursing Research. 2008; 16(2):121–30.
- Kojima M, Kojima T, Ishiguro N, Oguchi T, Oba M, Tsuchiya H, Sugiura F, Furukawa TA, Suzuki S, Tokudome S. Psychosocial factors, disease status, and quality of life in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2009; 67(5):425–31.
- Ruta DA, Hurst NP, Kind P, Hunter M, Stubbings A. Measuring health status in British patients with rheumatoid arthritis: Reliability, validity and responsiveness of the short form 36-item health survey (SF-36). British Journal of Rheumatology. 1998; 37(4):425–36.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.