Total views : 110
How users Interact with Commercial Websites using Smartphones?: Empirical Investigation using Protocol Analysis
Background/Objectives: There have been few investigations and explorations about the usability analysis of a Web based application on various emerging devices and platforms including Smart TV, Tablet PC, and Smartphones. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: We investigate the usability of websites interfaces of commercial websites based on three criteria, namely, interactivity, content, navigations. We adopt ANOVA analysis to detect the difference among the features provided by participants. Those features are classified into three groups. We basically categorize those issues based on systematic evaluation strategies: navigations category, interactivity, and content. We have found that more than ten issues adversely affect website usability in significant degree among the thirty issue arranged by participants. Findings: The results report confirmation of the significances of the discovered usability problems attached with the current mobile web design that influence the usability and interaction of consumer with commercial website accessed via smart devices. Although we did not incorporate direct scales of processing fluency such as finger expansion navigating through website pages and some signal reactions while participants engaging in the assignment. However, the results indicate that the current commercial web design strategy is lacking to some fundamental guidelines. It is significant noticing that the usability problem presented in this research is alarming web designer of special design awareness which positively affecting consumer response and satisfaction. This study is not only replicating usability problem findings effect in previous studies but also it explores and determines the severity of these problems findings influencing on consumers. Extending previous study findings help to clarify to designer the influential impacts of these problems for shoppers accessing website via smart devices. The effects of these different usability problems are quantified by participants needs for a convenient method of interacting with commercial sites. Improvements/Applications: Several painful issues are identified such as: (1) website is presenting small fonts; (2) unavailability of item viewers; (3); awkward item presentation; (4) lengthy menus; (5) multitude of clicks to reach the final stage of the transaction.
Commercial Websites, Protocol Analysis, Smart Devices, Usability, User Experience.
- Solorzano R. Online Shopping Worldwide Ecommerce Statistics [Infographic]. 2011. Available from: http://www.fortune3.com/blog/2011/10/online-shopping-worldwideecommercestatistics/ Date accessed: 3 Nov 2011.
- Tsirulnik G. How consumers will use their mobile devices during the holiday. 2011. Available from: http://www.mobilecommercedaily.com/2011/11/28/how-consumerswilluse-their-mobile-devices-during-the-holidays Date accessed:11 Dec 2011.
- Siwicki B. Retailers beware: Santa has a smartphone, and he is in your store. 2011. Available from: http://www.internetretailer.com/2011/10/26/retailers-beware-santahassmartphone-and-hes-your-store Date accessed:11 Nov 2011.
- Levi MD, Conrad FG. A heuristic evaluation of a World Wide Web prototype.Interactions Magazine. 1996; 3(4):50– 61.
- Tilson R, Dong J, Martin S, Kieke E. Factors and principles affecting the usability of four e-commerce sites. In: the proceedings of the 4th conference on human factors and the Web, Basking Ridge, NJ, USA. 1998.
- Bhavani U. Website Localization And The Impact On User Experience. 2012. Available from: http://topics.dirwell.com/tech/website-localization-and-the-impact-on-userexperience.html Date accessed:10 Jan 2012.
- Benchunan-Fich R. Using protocol analysis to evaluate the usability of a commercial web site. Information and Management Journal. 2001; 39(2):151–63.
- Ericsson KA, Simon HA. Protocol Analysis: Verbal Reports as Data, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. 1993.
- Sutton MJ. Problem representation, understanding, and learning transfer: Implications for technology education research. Journal of Industrial Teacher Education. 2003; 40(4):47–63.
- Potter B, Huber S, Michael J. The role of mediating behavior in selection-based responding. The Analysis of Verbal Behavior. 1997; 14:41–56.
- Newell A, Simon HA. Human Problem Solving, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ. 1972.
- Bauer C, Scharl A. Tool-supported evolutionary Web development: rethinking traditional modeling principles.In: the proceedings of the 8th European Conference on Information Systems. Vienna, Austria. 2000. p. 282–9.
- Austin J, Delaney PF. Protocol analysis as a tool for behavior analysis. Analysis of Verbal Behavior. 1998; 15:41–56.
- Nielsen J, Levy J. Measuring Usability: preference versus performance. Communications of the ACM. 1994; 37(4):66–75.
- Nielsen J. Usability 101. Introduction to Usability. 2003.Available from: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030825.html Date accessed:16 June 2011.
- Nielsen J. Usability of Mobile Websites: 85 Design Guidelines for Improving Access to Web-Based Content and Services Through Mobile Devices. 2009; 1–264. Available from: https://books.google.co.in/books/about/Usability_of_ Mobile_Websites.html?id=U20BfAEACAAJ&redir_esc=y
- Jolie O. New study shows the mobile Web will rule by 2015 [STATS]. 2010. Available from: http://mashable.com/2010/04/13/mobile-web-stats/,Date accessed:17 July 2011
- Brun J, Safaei F, Boustead P. Fairness and playability in online multiplayer games. In: proceedings of 3rd IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference.2006. p. 1199–203.
- Yackel E, Wheatley GH. Characteristics of problem representation indicative of understanding in mathematics problem solving. In: the proceedings of the 69th Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL, USA. 1985.
- Maaike J, Jong MDT. Exploring two methods of usability testing: concurrent versus retrospective think-aloud protocols.In: IEEE International Professional Communication Conference. Orlando, FL, USA. 2003. p. 21–4.
- Hayes JR, Simon HA. Understanding written problem instructions. In: Gregg LW Editors. Knowledge and Cognition. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Potomac, MD.1974; 167–200.
- Benedikte SA, Janne JJ, Mikael BS. Comparison of thinkaloud and constructive interaction in usability testing with children. In: the Proceedings of the 2005 Conference on Interaction Design and Children. 2005. p. 9–16.
- Hanna L, Risden K, Alexander KJ. Guidelines for usability testing with children. Interactions. 1997; 4(5): 9–14.
- Chapman C. Mobile Web design: Tips and best practice.2011. Available from:http://www.noupe.com/how-tos/ mobile-web-design-tips-and-best-practices.html Date accessed: 7 Dec 2011.
- Abduljalil S, Kang D-K. Evaluation of Commercial Web sites Usability using Verbal Protocol Analysis Technique on Smart Devices. In: the Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Convergence Technology in 2016. 2016. p.742–3.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.