Total views : 196
Correlations between Corneal and Internal Wavefront Aberrations through Zernike Coefficients Analysis
Objectives: To examine corneal aberrations are offset by internal aberrations more closely, the Zernike coefficients of corneal aberrations and internal aberrations were compared and analyzed. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Measurements of higher-order aberrations were performed with KR-9000 PW (Topcon Corp., Japan), a Hartmann-Shack Wavefront aberrometer. The coefficients from the 2nd to 4th expressions on Zernike Polynomials were analyzed for cornea and internal optics within 6mm measurement zone. 342 healthy eyes of 171 young adults who have never received eye surgery and do not wear contact lenses were selected as subjects of this study. Findings: There were significant negative correlations among all Zernike coefficients of corneal and internal aberrations. In Z31(r=-0.887, p=0.00), Z4-4(r=-0.698, p=0.00), and Z44(r=-0.688, p=0.00), there were high correlations between corneal and internal aberrations. On the other hand, the correlation coefficients of Z20 and Z22 that belonged to lower-order aberration were very weak at -0.129 and -0.136 respectively, having almost no correlation. Improvements/Applications: Since some signs of their Zernike coefficients are different, it is considered necessary to analyze not the both eyes but a single eye to identify the accurate RMS values of each Zernike coefficients and not only the correlations.
Corneal Aberration, Higher-Order Aberration, Internal Aberration, Zernike Coefficients, Zernike Polynomials.
- Chalita MR, Chavala S, Xu M, Krueger RR. Wavefront analysis inpost-LASIK eyes and its correlation with visual symptoms, refraction and topography. Ophthalmology.2004; 111:447-53.
- Seiler T, Kaemmerer M, Mierdel P, Krinke HE. Ocular opticalaberrations after photorefractive keratectomy for myopia and myopicastigmatism. Arch Ophthalmol. 2000; 118:17-21.
- Yamane N, Miyata K, Samejima T, Hiraoka T, Kiuchi T, Okamoto F, Hirohara Y, Mihashi T, Oshika T. Ocular higher-order aberrations and contrast sensitivity after conventional laser in situ keratomileusis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004; 45(11):3986-90.
- Lee SD, Kim MH, Kim CK. Similarity of aberrations between right and left eyes. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S8):79-82
- Bailey MD, Mitchell GL, Dhaliwal DK, Boxer Wachler BS, Zadnik K. Patient satisfaction and visual symptoms after laser in situ kertomileusis. Ophthlmology. 2003; 110(7):1371-8.
- Karimian F, Feizi S, Doozande A. Higher-order aberrations in myopic eyes. Journal of Ophthalmic and Vision Research. 2010; 5(1):3-9.
- Oshika T, Klyee SD, Applegate RA, et al. Comparison of corneal wavefront aberration after photorefractive keratectomy and laser in situ keratomileusis. Am J Ophthalmol.1999; 127:1-7.
- Marcos S. Aberrations and visual performance following standard laser vision correction. J Refract Surg. 2001; 17:596-601.
- Panagopoulou SI, Pallikaris IG. Wavefront customized ablations with the WASCA Asclepion workstation. J Refract Surg. 2001; 17:S608-12.
- Vongthongsri A, Phusitphoykai N, Naripthapan P.Comparison of wavefront-guided customized ablation vs. conventional ablation in laser in situ keratomileusis.J Refract Surg. 2002; 18(3 Suppl):S332-5.
- Pallikaris IG, Panagopoulou SI, Molebny VV. Clinical experience with the Tracey technology wavefront device. J Refract Surg. 2000; 16:S588-91.
- Jafariani H, Tabatabaee H. Retinal identification system using fourier-mellin transform and fuzzy clustering. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014; 7(9):1289-96.
- Kim TI, Yang SJ, Tchah H. Bilateral comparison of wavefront-guided versus conventional laser in situkeratomileusis with Bausch and Lomb Zyoptix. J Refract Surg.2004; 20:432-8
- Lee HJ, Jeong SJ, Song YY, Baek SS. Correlations of corneal anterior and posterior refractive power spherical aberration and asphericity. Korean J Vis Sci. 2009; 11(4):259-68.Available from: http://www.papersearch.net/view/detail.asp?detail_key=80100282&code=CP00000006
- Kelly JE, Mihashi T, Howland HC. Compensation of corneal horizontal/vertical astigmatism, lateral coma, and spherical aberration by internal optics of the eye. Journal of Vision. 2004; 4(4):262-71.
- Lee SD, Lee SJ, Bang HS. Compensation of corneal aberration by the internal optics of the eyes. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2014; 9(21):8627-34.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.