Total views : 133
The Status of First-Aid Education and its Perception among Teachers at Elementary, Middle, and High Schools
Background/Objectives: It is a necessity for anyone to learn and to become aware of first aid; especially, learning and repeated training is important during school life. The purpose of this study was to explore the perception of first-aid education, as well as the accident and first-aid education status of teachers in order to improve their response abilities during emergency situations that occur in educational settings. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Structured surveys of 203 teachers in Korea were analyzed.Contents included 30 questions about the necessity and awareness of first-aid education. The collected data were analyzed using SPSS Version 23.0 for Windows and the statistical significance level was set atp＜.05. Findings: 87 (43%) of the elementary, middle school, and high school teachers reported an experience of safety accidents, while 116 (57%) did not. There was high interest about first aid in 83% of the teachers. 88% of them with first-aid education were satisfied and 92% of teachers without such displayed strong intentions to get such a kind of training. 94% of teachers responded that students would also need first-aid education.Improvements/Applications: Because interest about first aid in teachers was very high, an execution plan of first aid education for all teachers ought to be established. Also, effective first-aid education programs with high participation rates need to be developed.
Elementary, First-Aid Method, Middle and High School, Precaution, Safety, Teacher.
- Byung-Il Kang, Kim N. A Study on the Actual Conditions of School Negligent Accidents for Teachers and Students in Special Schools: Focus on Special Schools in Daegu. The Journal of Special: Theory and Practice. 2010; 11(4):277–304.
- Shin S, Lee H. Incidence of nonfatal unintentional injuries among students, and compensation payment for five years (2000-2004) in school, Seoul. J of Korean Soc of School Health. 2011; 24(1):12–22.
- Hwang H. An issue of the legal responsibility for school accident.The Journal of Law of Education. 2001; 13:197–226.
- Na W, Son B, Hong W. A study on the pedestrian evacuation characteristic in university students dormitory through full-scale experimental. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(8):1–6.
- Sun-Ah K, Min-Wan M. An improvement of the professionalism of student protective manpower’s education and training. Journal of the Korean Society of Private Security.2013; 12(2):24–48.
- Oh J, Kim Y. The safety management activity of nurses which nursing students perceived during clinical practice.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(25):1–6.
- Park S, Lee S. Analysis on the actual condition and demand assessment of first aid education. Journal of Holistic Education. 2008; 12(2):53–66.
- Igic-Sung K, Hong-Seok B. Knowledge of first aid and education needs for part of elementary physical education teacher. Journal of Wellness. 2014; 9(1):81–90.
- Ushvitskii LI, Ter-Grigor’yants RG, Babich AA, TerGrigor’yants AA, Kulagovskaya TA. Risk management in teaching children road safety. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(14):1–8.
- Jae-Hee P, So-Yeon K, Kyu-Nyo L. Safety education status and needs based on the survey of the recognition of teachers and students of elementary schools: Focused on elementary schools in Daejeon City. Journal of Korean Practical arts education. 2013; 26(3):185–203.
- Woo Y. Argument and alternative about School environment health control by collective petition of health school teacher in the Incheon region. The Korean Journal of Health Education. 2015; 1(1):85–104.
- Tae-Hwan K, Jun-Soo H, Jae-Min L. Security measures through a statistical analysis of accident within the school.Korean Security Science Review. 2013; 34:139–60.
- 13. Kim H, Lee S, Min Y, Choi S, Jung Y, Ahn J. Educational needs and perceptions of school nurses regarding emergency situations in school: focus on differences based on the general characteristics of school nurses. Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine. 2011; 22(5): 536–42.
- Kim Y, Kim H, Kim Y. Effects of a first-aid skills training for elementary students - focus on management of foreign body airway obstruction. The Journal of the Korean Society of School Health. 2011; 24(1):50–60.
- Kim S. Safety awareness and safety practice behavior of college students. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2015; 13(2):279–89.
- Kwon Y. Pilot study of safety education and safety awareness in middle and high school students. Journal of the Society of Korea Industrial and Systems Engineering. 2015; 38(1):30–43.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.