Total views : 190
Harmonics Mitigation of a Microgrid System using Modified SRF-UPQC Method
Objectives: To describe the mitigation of power quality problem using modified Synchronous Reference Frame (SRF) Unified Power Quality Conditioner (UPQC) method. To design a Micro grid system using solar PV/wind/energy storage system like battery and power quality analysis i.e. reduction of harmonics and compensation of reactive power flow of the Microgrid system without using phased locked loop (PLL) circuit. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In the proposed system solar PV/Wind/ Battery system are combined to form a Microgrid using MATLAB Simulink environment and the power quality problem is solve by using modified Synchronous Reference Frame (SRF) Unified Power Quality Conditioner (UPQC) method. In order to identify a suitable controller for better compensation of UPQC, modified SRF method is used. This method mainly focuses on regulation on DC link voltage and unit vector generation. PLL circuit is required in case of conventional SRF method for vector orientation but in the proposed method vector orientation is obtain without using PLL. Findings: The drawback of PLL is eliminated by using modified SRF method and the result shown in First Fourier Transform (FFT) analysis that modified SRF method has a better performance than normal SRF method considering both harmonic elimination and reactive power compensation. The performance of the system is verified under both the condition i.e. microgrid with UPQC and without UPQC. The proposed controller compensates harmonics from 16.29% to 3.33% and maintains the DC link voltage constant. Application/Improvements: The issues in the power distribution system are voltage sag, swell, harmonics in both current and voltage waveform. In order to achieve a pure sinusoidal waveform with proper magnitude and phase is a great concern and UPQC is a device which can mitigate all PQ related problem in Microgrid system. This proposed work mainly used in power distribution system based on Microgrid.
Harmonics, Microgrid, Modified Synchronous Reference Frame (SRF) Method, Unified Power Quality Conditioner (UPQC).
- Benachaiba C, Haidar AM, Habab M, Abdelkhalek O. Smart control of UPCQ within microgrid energy system. Energy Procedia. 2011; 6: 503–12. Crossref
- Ahmadi R, Ferdowsi M. Improving the performance of a line regulating converter in a converter-dominated DC microgrid system. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 2014 Sep; 5(5): 2553–63. Crossref
- Singh B, Al-Haddad K, Chandra A. A review of active filters for power quality improvement. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 1999 Oct; 46(5): 960–71. Crossref
- Kesler M, Ozdemir E. Synchronous-reference-frame-based control method for UPQC under unbalanced and distorted load conditions. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2011 Sep; 58(9): 3967–75. Crossref
- Davari M, Ale-Emran SM, Yazdanpanahi H, Gharehpetian GB. Modeling the combination of UPQC and photo voltaic arrays with Multi-Input Single-Output DC-DC converter. In Power Systems Conference and Exposition, PSCE’09 IEEE/PES; 2009 Mar; 15:p. 1–7. Crossref Crossref
- Hosseinpour M, Yazdian A, Mohamadian M, Kazempour J. Desing and simulation of UPQC to improve power quality and transfer wind energy to grid. Journal of Applied Sciences. 2008; 8(21): 3770–82. Crossref
- Suresh M, Patnaik SS, Suresh Y, Panda AK. Comparison of two compensation control strategies for shunt active power filters in three-phase four-wire system. In Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), IEEE PES. 2011 Jan; 17: 1–6. Crossref
- Chen Y, Zha X, Wang J, Liu H, Sun J, Tang H. Unified power quality conditioner (UPQC). The theory, modeling and application. In Power System Technology. Proceedings. PowerCon 2000. International Conference. 2000; 3:p. 1329–33.
- Femia N, Petrone G, Spagnuolo G, Vitelli M. Optimization of perturbs and observe maximum power point tracking method. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2005 Jul; 20(4): 963–73. Crossref
- Basu M, Das SP, Dubey GK. Comparative evaluation of two models of UPQC for suitable interface to enhance power quality. Electric Power Systems Research. 2007 May; 77(7): 821–30. Crossref
- Lee GM, Lee DC, Seok JK. Control of series active power filters compensating for source voltage unbalance and current harmonics. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2004 Feb; 51(1): 132–9. Crossref
- Fitzer C, Barnes M, Green P. Voltage sag detection technique for a dynamic voltage restorer. In Industry Applications Conference. 37th IAS Annual Meeting. Conference Record of IEEE. 2002 Oct; 2: 917–24. Crossref
- Jain SK, Agarwal P, Gupta HO. Simulation and experimental investigations on a shunt active power filter for harmonics and reactive power compensation. IETE Technical Review. 2003 Nov; 20(6): 481–92. Crossref
- Jain SK, Agarwal P. Design simulation and experimental investigations, on a shunt active power filter for harmonics, and reactive power compensation. Electric Power Components and Systems. 2003 Jul; 31(7): 671–92. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.