Total views : 49
Discovering Student Learning Style using Min Max Cascade Neural Network
Objectives: This paper develops a scale to effective and efficient determination of individual student learning style identification. Methods: It proposes a Fuzzy Min Max Cascade Correlation Neural Network (FMMCasCorNN) for identifying the student learning behavior based on Kolb's experiential learning style. It uses questionnaires for determining a student learning style; and then adapting their behavior according to the students' styles. After preprocessing step, the student data is then input to an FMMC as CorNN for predicting the student learning style. Findings: The performance of the proposed method has been evaluated through experimental results. The proposed work is compared to the existing classification algorithms (Naïve Bayes, SMO, and Back Propagation) with precision, recall, and f-measure metrics. The experimental results shows that proposed work has better classification accuracy compared to other methods. Application: The proposed model will be highly beneficial in the field of education and the instructor will have the provision of offering better insights for the students.
Cascade Correlation Neural Network, Classification, Fuzzy Min Max Neural Network, Kolb Learning Style, Student Learning Style.
- Honey P,Mumford A. Learning styles questionnaire. Organisational Design and Development, HRD Quarterly, King of Prussia, PA, 1986. PMCid:PMC1232081
- Reichmann S.W , Grasha A.F. A rational approach to developing and assessing the construct validity of a study learning styles scale inventory. Journal of Psychology. 1974; 87:213– 223. CrossRef.
- Felder R.M, Silverman L.K. Learning and Teaching Styles in Engineering Education. Journal of Engineering Education. 1988;78(7): 674–81.
- Kolb DA. Experiential Learning: Experience as the Source of Learning & Development, Englewood-Cliff, NJ: PrenticeHall, 1984.
- Coffield F, Moseley D, Hall E, Ecclestone K. Learning styles and pedagogy in post-16 learning: A systematic and critical review. Learning and Skills Research Centre, 2004.
- Kayes D.C. Internal validity and reliability of Kolb's learning style inventory version 3 (1999).Journal of Business and Psychology. 2005; 20(2):249–57. Crossref.
- Turesky E.F, Gallagher D. Know thyself: Coaching for leadership using Kolb's experiential learning theory. Coaching Psychologist. 2011; 7(1):5–14.
- Healey M, Jenkins A. Learning cycles and learning styles: Kolb's experiential learning theory and its application in geography in higher education. Journal of Geography. 2000; 99:185–95. CrossRef.
- Holman D, Pavlica K, Thorpe R. Rethinking Kolb's theory of experiential learning in management education: The contribution of social constructionism and activity theory. Management Learning. 1997;28(2):135–148. CrossRef.
- Abdulwahed M, Nagy Z.K. Applying Kolb's experiential learning cycle for laboratory education. Journal of Engineering Education. 2009;98(3):283–94. CrossRef.
- JilardiDamavandi A, Mahyuddin R, Elias H, Daud S.M, Shabani J. Academic achievement of students with different learning styles. International Journal of Psychological Studies. 2011;3(2):186–192. CrossRef.
- Massey M.G, Kim S.H, Mitchell C. A study of the learning styles of under-graduate social work students .Journal of Evidence-Based Social Work. 2011;8(3):294–303. CrossRef. PMid:21660824
- Newby T.J, Stepich D.A, Lehman J.D, Russell J.D. Instructional technology for teaching and learning: Designing instruction, integrating computers, and using media (2nd ed.). Columbus, OH: Merrill, 2000.
- Keefe J.W. Learning style theory and practice. VA: Reston, 1987.
- Exploring learning styles and instruction. Available from http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emt705/EMT705.Hood.html. Date Accessed: 15/02/2017.
- Terrell S.R, Dringus L. An investigation of the effect of learning style on student success in an online environment. Journal of Educational Systems. 2000;28(3):231–38. CrossRef.
- Buch K, Bartley S. Learning style and training delivery mode preference. Journal of Workplace Learning. 2002;14(1):.5– 10.
- Simpson C, Du Y. Effects of learning styles and class participation on students' enjoyment level in distributed learning environments. Journal of Education for Library & Information Science. 2004; 45(2): 123–136. CrossRef.
- Fahy P.J. Student learning style and asynchronous computermediated conferencing (CMC) interaction. The American Journal of Distance Education. 2005;19(1): 5–22. CrossRef.
- Richmond A, Liu L. Student learning style of traditional courses versus online distance courses. In C. Crawford, et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference. 2005.p. 576–78.
- Liegle J.O, Janicki T.N. The effect of learning styles on navigation needs of web-based learners. Computers in Human Behavior. 2006; 22(5):885–98. CrossRef.
- Manochehr N.N. The influence of learning styles on learners in e-learning environments: An empirical study. CHEER Virtual Edition. 2006;18: 10–14.
- Lu H, Jia L, Gong S.H, Clark B. The relationship of Kolb learning styles, online learning behaviors and learning outcomes. Educational Technology & Society. 2007;10(4):187–196.
- Maddux C.D, Ewing-Taylor J.F, Johnson D.L. (eds). Distance Education: Issue and concerns. New York: The Howarth Press. 2002.
- Thiele J.E. Learning patterns of online students. Journal of Nursing Education. 2003;42(8):364–67.
- Michalski K. Learning styles and blended learning. Challenges and opportunities in distance education environment. In Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications. 2008.p. 4290–297.
- Unterberg M. Do learning style and learning environment affect learning outcome? Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 2009.
- Latham A, Crockett KA, McLean D, Edmonds B. A conversational intelligent tutoring system to automatically predict learning styles. Computers and Education. 2012; 59(1):.95– 109.
- Yang J, Xing Huang Z, Xiang Gao Y, Tao Liu H. Dynamic Learning Style Prediction Method Based on a Pattern Recognition Technique, IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies.2014; 7(2):165–77. CrossRef.
- Chang Y.C, Kao W.Y, Chu C.P, Chiu C.H. A learning style classification mechanism for e-learning. In Computer & Education Journal.2009; 53(2):273–285. CrossRef.
- Klasnja-Milicevic A, Vesin B, Ivanovic M, Budimac Z. E-Learning personalization based on hybrid recommendation strategy and learning style identification. Computers & Education.2011;56:.885–99.
- Ozpolat E, Akar G.B. Automatic Detection of Learning Styles for an E-Learning System, J. Computers & Education.2009;53: 355–67. CrossRef.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.