Total views : 133
Determining Appropriate Operating Conditions of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine
Background: Through the last decade, an alternative combustion technology has been introduced as a homogeneouscharge compression-ignitio.(HCCI). Methods: A single-cylinder HCCI engine with compression ratio of 12.5 and isooctane fuel is simulated using CFD and AVL Fire software, variable RPM and equivalence ratios, k-zeta-f turbulence model, eddy breakup combustion, wave atomization spray, and evaporation drops. Results: The engine can be coupled with a generator and adjusted to operate optimally under certain conditions and parameters for high efficiency and low emissions. The best performance of the engine is recommended at 3000 rpm and 50% load and equivalence ratio of 0.6. Conclusion: These Figures are based on the calculation of pressure and temperature in the cylinder chamber, specific fuel consumption and mean effective pressure. The NOx emission is compared to the 6-point emission standard of Japan as well as the environmental and economic limitations.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI), Optimized performance
- Onishi S, Jo S.H, Shoda K, Jo P.D, Kato S. Active thermoatmosphere combustion (ATAC) a new combustion process for internal combustion engines. SAE Technical Paper, 1979:SAE.
- Noguchi M, Tanaka Y, Tanaka T, Takeuchi Y.A study on gasoline engine combustion by observation of intermediate reactive products during combustion. SAE Technical Paper, 1979: SA
- Najt P.M., Foster D.E. Compression-ignited homogeneous charge combustion. SAE Technical Paper,1983,SAE
- Thring R.H. Homogeneous compression ignition (HCCI) engines. SAE Technical Paper, 1989, SAE.
- Mozafari B.HCCI engines equipped with direct injection fuel system simulation, MA thesis: Shar University of Technology.2010 (In Persian).
- Delorme A, Rousseau A, Wallner T, Ortiz-Soto, Babajimopoulos A, Assanis D. Evaluation of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine Fuel Savings for Various Electric Drive Powertrains. The 25th World Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Symposium and Exhibition, EVS 5-9, Shenzhen:China; 2010.
- Whitefoot K A, Babajimopoulos A, Ortiz-Soto E, Papalambros P.Y. Homogeneous charge compression ignition technology implemented in a hybrid electric vehicle: System optimal design and benefit analysis for a power split architecture, Journal of Automobile Engineering. 2012;227:87– 98.
- HanjalicK.M , Popovac, Hadziabdic M. A robust near-wall elliptic relaxation eddy-viscosity turbulence model for CFD. International Journal of Heat and fluid Flow.2004;25:1047– 51..2004.07.005 Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow
- Beale J.C. Modeling Spray Atomization with the KelvinHelmholtz/Taylor Hybrid model. Atomization and spray. 1999; 9:623–50 Available from: https://doi.org/10.1615/AtomizSpr.v9.i6.40
- He X, Donovan M.T. An experimental and modeling study of Iso-octane ignition delay times under homogeneous charge compression ignition conditions. Combustion and Flame.2005;142:266–275. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2005.02.014
- Dukowicz J.K.Quasi. Steady Droplet Change in the Presence of Convection, Informal Report Los Almos Scientific Laboratory: 1999.
- Patterson M.A., Reitz R.D. Modeling the Effect of Fuel Spray Characteristic on Diesel Engine Combustion and Emission, SAE Technical Paper: 1998.
- Naber J.D, Reitz R.D. Modeling Engine Spray/Wall Impingemen. SAE Technical Paper:1988.
- Merker, G, Schwarz C, Stiesch,, Otto F. Simulation of Combustion and Pollution Formation for Engine-Development.Original German edition published by Teubner under the title “Verbrennungsmotoren”, Springer:Germany;2006.
- Haywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw – Hill: 1988.
- Tribbett E, Froehlich B.L. Effects of Ignition Timing, Equivalence Ratio an Compression Ratio on RDH Engine Performance, Mechanical Engineering Department, Stanford University;2005.
- Baghchesaraei, Omid Reza, Alireza Baghchesaraei. Analytical survey of structural engineering and long-term resistive environmental elements in an Iranian magnificent palace. International Journal of Civil and Structural Engineering.2014; 4:372–80.
- Muta K., Yamazaki M, Tokieda J. Development of New-Generation Hybrid System THS II - Drastic Improvement of Power Performance and Fuel Economy. SAE Technical Paper:2004.
- Soleymani, Mehdi, Ali Yoosofi,Mohsen Kandi-d. Sizing and energy management of a medium hybrid electric boat. Journal of Marine Science and Technology.2015;20(4):739–51.Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00773-015-0327-0
- Kandi-D M., Soleymani M., Ghadimi A. A. Designing an optimal fuzzy controller for a fuel cell vehicle considering driving patterns. Scientia Iranica, International Journal of Science and Technology. Transaction on Mechanical Engineering.2016; 23(1):218–77.
- Javareshkian M. Simulation of fluid flow cylinder internal combustion engines with different models of turbulence.Journal of Applied Sciences and computational mechanics.2011;12:56–65. (In Persian).
- Baghchesaraei, Alireza, Meltem Vatan Kaptan, Omid Reza Baghchesaraei. Using Prefabrication Systems in Building Construction. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2015;10:44258–262.
- Baghchesaraei, Omid Reza, Hossein Hosseini Lavasani, Alireza Baghchesaraei. Behavior of Prefabricated Structures in Developed and Developing Countries. Bulletin de la Société des Sciences de Liège. 2016;85:1229–234.
- Appa Rao K, Rajagopal K. Experimental Investigations on CI Engine in HCCI and Conventional Diesel Mode. Indian Journal of Science & Technology. 2010;3:24–55.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.