Total views : 300
A Survey for Silicon on Chip Communication
Objectives: Network on Chip (NoC) has been emerging area as communication is very complex at Chip Multi Processor and it has become more popular due to its high bandwidth and improved performance than System on Chip (SoC). Methods: This paper gives an overview of various proposals and discussed some methods for NoC and various types of topologies and types of switching techniques have given with their merits and demerits. The routing algorithms are given based on adaptively which finds the shortest distance from source to destination. Findings: This paper proposes a new architecture for low latency and low area NoC router by analyzing the different architectures for NoC by observing the number of architectures. The generic NoC has used with packet switching and deterministic routing algorithm but new techniques implemented for the routing algorithms i.e. shortest path, odd/even, north-east and south-west. Application/Improvements: NoC has improved performance that’s why it has applied in various systems, JPEG decompression, wireless transmission and security systems.
FPGA, NoC, Routing, Switching, Topology.
- Guerrier P, Greiner A. A generic architecture for on-chip packet-switched interconnections. DATE. 2000; p. 250–6.
- Dally WJ, Towles B. Route packets, not wires: On-chip interconnection networks. Proceedings of Design Automation Conference; 2001. p. 684–9.
- Benini L, Micheli GD. Networks on chips: A new soc paradigm.IEEE Comput.2002; 35(1):70–8.
- Salminen, et al. Survey of network-on-chip proposals.White Paper. OCP-IP. 2008 Mar.
- Moraes FG, Calazans N, Mello A, Mller L, Ost L. HERMES: An infrastructure for low area overhead packet switching networks on chip. Integration, VLSI J. 2004; 38(1):69–93.
- Orin-Obon M, Suarez-Gracia D. Analysis of network-onchip topologies for cost-efficient chip multiprocessors. Microprocessors and Microsystems. 2016; 1-13.
- Wiklund D, Liu D. SoCBUS: Switched network on chip for hard real time embedded systems. IEEE Computer Society.2003; 8.
- Goossens K, Dielissen J, Radulescu A. Aethereal network on chip: Concepts, architectures and implementations.IEEE Des Test Comput. 2005; 22(5):414–21.
- Bobda C, Ahmadinia A. Dynamic interconnection of reconfigurable modules on reconfigurable devices. IEEE Des Test Comput. 2005; 22(5):443–51.
- Benin L, Bertozzi D. Xpipes: A network-on-chip architecture for gigascale systems-on-chip. IEEE Circuits Syst Mag.2005; 4(2):18–31.
- Lusala AK, Legat J-D. A SDM-TDM based circuit-switched router for on-chip networks. Proceedings of 6th International Workshop on Reconfigurable Communication Centric Systems-on-Chip; 2011. p. 1–8.
- Jara-Berrocal A, Gordon-Ross A. SCORES: Scalable and parametric streams-based communication architecture for modular reconfigurable systems. Proceedings of Design Automation Test Europe Conference and Exhibition; 2009.p. 268–73.
- Lin J, Lin X. Express circuit switching: Improving the performance of bufferless networks-on-chip. Proceedings of IEEE 1st International Conference on Network Computing; 2010. p. 162–6.
- Jiang W, Bhardwaj K. A lightweight early arbitration method for low-latency asynchronous 2D-mesh NoC’s. ACM.2015.
- Rampal R, Chandel R, Daniel P. A network-on-chip router for deadlock-free multicast meshes routing. IEEE. 2015.
- Adriahantenaina A, Greiner A. SPIN: A scalable, packet switched, on-chip micro-network. IEEE Proceedings of the Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference and Exhibition (DATE’03); 2003. p. 1530-91.
- Chrysos N, Chen L. Discharging the network from its flow control headaches: Packet drops and HOL blocking. IEEE/ ACM Transactions on Networking. 2016; 2(1):15-28.
- Carara E, Calazans N, Moraes F. New router architecture for high-performance intrachip networks. J Integrated Circuits Syst. 2008; 3(1):23–31.
- Lan Y, Lo S, Lin Y, Hu Y, Chen S. BiNoC: A bidirectional NoC architecture with dynamic self-reconfigurable channel.Proceedings of 3rd ACM/IEEE International Symposium Network Chip; 2009. p. 266–75.
- Wang X, Bandi L. A low-area and low-latency network on chip. 23rd Canadian Conference Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE); 2010.
- Bhaskar AV, Gopalakrishnan VT. A study of the effect of virtual channels on the performance of Network-on-Chip.IEEE Student Conference on Research and Development (SCOReD); 2015.
- Nasiri F, Sarbazi-Azad H, Khademzadeh A. Reconfigurable multicast routing for networks on chip. Microprocessors and Microsystems. 2016; 42:180–9.
- Ben Ahmed A, Ben Abdallah A. Adaptive fault-tolerant architecture and routing algorithm for reliable many-core 3D-NoC systems. J Parallel Distrib Comput. 2016.
- Yaghini PM, Eghbal A, Bagherzadeh N. On the design of hybrid routing mechanism for mesh-based network-onchip.Integration, the VLSI Journal. 2015 Jun; 50:183–92.
- Marcus E, Strobel M, Radetzki M. Globally asynchronous locally synchronous simulation of NoCs on many-core architectures.24th Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Processing; 2016.
- Akbar R, Safaei F. A novel power efficient adaptive REDbased flow control mechanism for networks-on-chip. Elsevier.2015.
- Teimouri N, Modarressi M, Sarbazi-Azad H. Power and performance efficient partial circuits in packet-switched networks-on-chip. Proceedings of IEEE 21st Euromicro International Conference Parallel, Distributed and NetworkBased Process; 2013. p. 509–13.
- Kumar R, Gordon-Ross A. MACS: Highly customizable low-latency communication architecture. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2016; 27(1):23749.
- Kim J, et al. A low latency router supporting adaptively for on-chip interconnects. DAC; 2005. p. 559–64.
- Bishnoi R, Laxmi V, Gaur MS, Zwolinski M. Resilient routing implementation in 2D mesh NoC. Microelectronics Reliability.2016; 56:189–201.
- Edson I. Cesar M, Marcon AM. Arbitration and routing impact on NoC design. IEEE. 2011.
- Chi H-C, Chen J-H. Design and implementation of a routing switch for on-chip interconnection networks. AP-ASIC; 2004 Aug. p. 392–5.
- Jabbar AIA, AL Malah Noor Th. Design and implementation of a network on chip using FPGA. Al-Rafidain Engineering.2013; 21(1):91-100.
- Wang L, Ma S. A high performance reliable NoC router.IEEE. 2016.
- Pande PP, Ivanov A. Performance evaluation and design trade-offs for network-on-chip interconnects architectures.IEEE Trans Computers. 2005; 54(8):1025–40.
- Henkel J, Wolf W, Chakradhar S. On-chip networks: a scalable, communication-centric embedded system design paradigm.VLSI. 2004 Jan. p. 845–51.
- Devaux L, Pillement S, Chillet D, Demigny D. R2NoC: Dynamically reconfigurable routers for flexible networks on chip. International Conference on Reconfigurable Computing; 2010.
- Millberg M, Nilsson RTE, Jantsch A. Guaranteed bandwidth using looped containers in temporally disjoint networks within the Nostrum network on chip. DATE; 2004 Feb. p. 890–5.
- Feero B, Pande P. Performance evaluation for three-dimensional networks-on-chip. ISVLSI; 2007. p. 305–10.
- Millberg M, Nilsson RTE, Jantsch A. Guaranteed bandwidth using looped containers in temporally disjoint networks within the Nostrum network on chip. 2004 Feb. p.890–5.
- Wolkotte P, et al. An energy-efficient reconfigurable circuitswitched network-on-chip. IPDPS; 2005 Apr. p. 155.
- Liang J, Laffely A. An architecture and compiler for scalable on-chip communication. IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems. 2004; 12(7):711-26.
- Radulescu A, et al. An efficient on-chip NI offering guaranteed services, shared-memory abstraction, and flexible network configuration. IEEE Trans Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems. 2005; 24(1):4–17.
- Leroy A, et al. Spatial division multiplexing: a novel approach for guaranteed throughput on NOCS. CODES+ISSS; 2005 Sep. p. 81–6.
- Arjana J. Low latency Noc with dynamic priority based matrix arbiter. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016; 9(29):1-4.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.