Total views : 188
Primary user Emulation Attack Defense in Filter Bank based Cognitive Radio
Background/Objectives: The spectrum scarcity problem arising due to reckless development in wireless communication can be addressed using cognitive radio technology. An important step in cognitive radio technology is spectrum sensing and associated with that is an attack called primary user emulation attack. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A two channel Quadrature Mirror Filter (QMF) bank is employed for a single user spectrum sensing. The energy detection method is used as reference for comparing the performance of the filter bank method in the presence of attackers. Existing approaches like Neyman-Pearson Criterion, Improved Detection Scheme with Double threshold and Location Verification Method for detecting PUE attacks were examined. A new method which combines improved detection scheme and location verification method is proposed for detecting PUE attacks. Findings: The simulation result shows that the filter bank method shows better performance than the energy detection method in the presence of attackers. The probability of detection of PUE attacks using improved detection scheme and location verification method for the filter bank method and energy detection method was analyzed and found out that the filter bank based spectrum sensing method outperforms energy detection method. By incorporating AND rule logic, OR rule logic and Alternate logic approach into the filter bank spectrum sensing technique, the probability of detection of PUE attack was investigated and it is seen that the probability of detection has increased to 0.98 in FB method at SNR = 1 dB when employing an alternate approach. Application/Improvements: The feasibility of deploying the filter bank method integrated with the alternate logic is to be tested using Universal Software Radio Peripheral (USRP) module.
Double Threshold, Filter Bank, Fusion Logic, Primary User Emulation Attack, Spectrum Sensing
- Haykin S. Cognitive radio: Brain-empowered wireless communications. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communication. 2005; 23(2):201-20.
- Farhang-Boroujeny B. Filter bank multicarrier modulation: A waveform candidate for 5G and beyond. Advances in Electrical Engineering. 2014; 482805:1-25.
- Divyapraba V, Kishore Kumar K, Pratheepa R, Elamaran V. Spectrum sensing based on energy detection using MATLAB_Simulink. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(29):1-5.
- Amanpreet K, Dishant K. An improved energy detection scheme based on channel estimation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Oct; 9(37):1-6.
- Avila J, Thenmozhi K. Authentication scheme to combat primary user emulation attack against cognitive radio users.Security Communication Networks. 2015; 8(18):4242–53.
- Hemati HR, Ghasemzadeh M. Meinel C. A hybrid machine learning method for intrusion detection. IJE Transactions C: Aspects. 2016 Sept; 29(9):1242-6.
- Xie X, Wang W. Detecting primary user emulation attacks in cognitive radio networks via physical layer network coding.Journal of Ubiquitous Systems and Pervasive Networks.2015; 5(1):01-8.
- Orumwense E, Oyerinde O, Mneney SH. Impact of primary user emulation attacks on cognitive radio networks.International Journal on Communications Antenna and Propagation. 2014 Feb; 4(1):19-26.
- Marinho J, Granjal J, Monteiro E. A survey on security attacks and countermeasures with primary user detection in cognitive radio networks. EURASIP Journal on Information Security. 2015 Dec; (4):1-14.
- Baldini G, Sturman T, Biswas AR, Leschhorn R, Godor G, Street M. Security aspects in software defined radio and cognitive radio networks: A survey and a way ahead. IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials. 2012; 14(2):355-79.
- Sharifi AA, Sharifi M, Niya MJM. Collaborative spectrum sensing under primary user emulation attack in cognitive radio networks. IETE Journal of Research. 2015 Sept; 62(2):205-11.
- Sanket S. Kalamkar, Adrish Banerjee. Improved double threshold energy detection for cooperative spectrum sensing in cognitive radio. Defense Science Journal. 2013 Jan; 63(1):34-40.
- Leon O, Hernandez-Serrano J, Soriano M. Securing cognitive radio networks. International Journal of Communication System. 2010 Feb; 23(5):633–52.
- Ammar M, Riley N, Mehdawi M, Fanan A, Zolfaghari M.Detection threats and mitigation techniques in cognitive radio based on localization of signal source and trust worthiness.Proceedings of 4th ICAESAM; Malaysia. 2015. p.77-83.
- Hossain E, Bhargava V. Wireless Communications Networks. Springer Publication; 2007.
- Vaidyanathan PP. Multirate systems and filter banks.Pearson Education; 1993.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.