Total views : 661
Natural Fiber Composites as Potential External Strengthening Material – A Review
Synthetic Fiber Rreinforced Polymer composites (FRP) have been widely accepted by the construction industries as an effective external strengthening material to rehabilitate the existing structures deficiencies. These materials possess outstanding performances like high strength-to-weight ratio, resistance to corrosion, and lightness. However, the drawbacks include high costs during the manufacturing and end-life services, less environmental-friendly and cause adverse effects to human health. Environmental issues on global warming have triggered rapid development of natural fibers as sustainable materials for the strengthening of Reinforced Concrete (RC) structures. This paper presents a detailed review on the potential use of natural fibers as reinforcement in polymeric strengthening materials. A comparison was made between various types of fibers in terms of their chemical and mechanical properties. Bamboo fiber has demonstrated great potential among other natural fibers due to its superior physico-mechanical and thermal properties.
Bamboo Fiber, External Strengthening, Natural Fiber, Natural Fiber Composites, Structural Application
- Chin SC, Shafiq N, Nuruddin MF. Strengthening of RC beams with large openings in shear by CFRP laminates : Experiment and 2D Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis.Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology. 2012; 4(9):1172–80.
- Abduljalil BS. Shear Resistance of Reinforced Concrete Deep Beams the Opening Strengthened by CFRP Strips. Journal of Engineering and Development. 2014; 18(1):14–32.
- Dalbehera S, Acharya SK. Study on Mechanical Properties of Natural Fiber Reinforced Woven Jute-Glass Hybrid Epoxy Composites. Advances in Polymer Science and Technology: An International Journal. 2014; 4(1):1–6.
- Zakikhani P, Zahari R, Sultan MTH, Majid DL. Extraction and Preparation of Bamboo Fibre-Reinforced Composites.Materials and Design. 2014; 63:.820–8.
- Nguong CW, Lee SNB, Sujan D. A Review on Natural Fibre Reinforced Polymer Composites. International Journal of Chemical, Molecular, Nuclear, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering. 2013; 7(1):.33–40.
- Portela TGR, Costa LL, Santos NSS, Monteiro SN.Tensile Behavior of Lignocellulosic Reinforced Polyester Composites: Part II buriti petiole/polyester. RevistaMatéria.2010; 15(2):195–201.
- Al-Bahadly EAO. The Mechanical Properties of Natural Fiber Composites. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Technology, Swinburne. 2013.
- Sen T, Jagannatha Reddy H.N. Application of Sisal, Bamboo, Coir, and Jute Natural Composites in Structural Upgradation. International Journal of Innovation and Technology. 2011; 2(3):186–91.
- Alam MA, Nouri K, Jumaat MZ. Flexural Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete Beam Using Jute Rope Composite Plate. The 3rd National Graduate Conference, Putrajaya.2015 Apr 8-9.p.210–13.
- Sen T, Jagannatha Reddy HN. Strengthening of RC Beams in Flexure Using Natural Jute Fibre Textile Reinforced Composite System and its Comparative Study with CFRP and GFRP Strengthening Systems. International Journal of Sustainable Built Environment. 2013; 2(1):41–55.
- Salman S D, Sharba M J, Leman Z, Sultan MTH, Ishak MR, Cardona F. Physical, Mechanical, and Morphological Properties of Woven Kenaf/Polymer Composites Produced Using a Vacuum Infusion Technique. International Journal of Polymer Science. 2015; 2015(2015):10.
- Abdullah A, Alias SK, Jenal N, Abdan K, Ali A. Fatigue Behavior of Kenaffibre Reinforced Epoxy Composites.Engineering Journal. 2012; 16(5):106–13.
- Albuquerque AC, Joseph K, Carvalho LH, Dalmeida JRM. Effect of Wettability and Ageing Cconditions on the Physical and Mechanical Properties of Uniaxially Oriented Jute Roving-Reinforced Polyester Composites. Composites Science and Technology. 2000; 60(6):833–44.
- Hafizah NAK, Bhutta MAR, Hamaludin MY, Warid MH, Ismail M, Rahman MS, Azman M Y I. Kenaf Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites for Strengthening RC Beams. Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology. 2014; 12(6):167–77.
- Alam MA, Hassan A, Muda ZC. Development of Kenaffibre Reinforced Polymer Laminate for Shear Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete Beam. Materials and Structures. 2015; 49(3):795–811.
- Ramesh M, Palanikumar K, Hemachandra Reddy K.Mechanical Property Evaluation of Sisal-jute-glass Fiber Reinforced Polyester Composites. Composites: Part B.2013; 48:1–9.
- Sen T, Jagannatha Reddy HN. Flexural Strengthening of RC Beams Using Natural Sisal and Artificial Carbon and Glass Fabric Reinforced Composite System. Sustainable Cities and Society. 2014; 10:195–206.
- Kumar LSS, Jagannatha Reddy HN, Nizar R. Retrofitting of RC Beams Using Natural FRP Wrapping (NSFRP).International Journal of Emerging trends in Engineering and Development. 2013; 3(5):168–78.
- Liu D, Song J, Anderson DP, Chang PR, Hua Y. Bamboo Fiber and its Reinforced Composites: Structure and Properties. Cellulose. 2012; 19(5):1449–80.
- Faruk O, K.Bledzki A, Fink DP, Sain M. Biocomposites Reinforced with Natural Fibers: 2000-2010. Progress in Polymer Science. 2012; 37(11):1552–96.
- Zakikhani P, Zahari R, Sultan MTH, Majid DL. Bamboo Fibre Extraction and its Reinforced Polymer Composite Material. International Journal of Chemical, Nuclear, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering. 2014; 8(4):287– 90.
- Okubo K, Fujii T, Yamamoto Y. Development of BambooBased Polymer Composites and their Mechanical Properties. Composites: Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing. 2004; 35(3):377–83.
- Prasad AVR, Rao MK. Mechanical Properties of Natural Fibre Reinforced Polyester Composites: Jowar, sisal and bamboo. Materials and Design. 2011, 32(8-9), pp.4658–63.
- Verma CS, Chariar VM. Development of Layered Laminate Bamboo Composite and their Mechanical Properties.Composites: Part B. 2011; 43(3):.1063–9.
- Ochi S. Tensile Properties of Bamboo Fiber Reinforced Biodegradable Plastics. International Journal of Composite Materials. 2014; 2(1):.1–4.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.