Total views : 230
Photoinitiated Dispersion Polymerization of Crosslinked Polymer in Polar Solvents: Effect of Reaction Parameter on Morphology, Size and Size Distribution and Yield
Crosslinked polymer beads were prepared by photoinitiated dispersion polymerization in a mixture of ethanol and water. In this study, the effect of types of photoinitiator, types of monomer and reaction times on particles morphology, size and size distribution and yield were investigated. Better quality of poly(st-co-EGDMA-co-VBC) obtained compared to poly(methylmethacrylate-co- EGDMA-co-VBC). However, the yield of poly(st-co-EGDMA-co-VBC) lower than poly(methylmethacrylate-co-EGDMA-co-VBC). On this regard, poly(methylmethacrylate-co-EGDMA-co-VBC) was selected to investigate further. Changing the types of photoinitiator managed to increase the quality and size of poly(methylmethacrylate-co-EGDMA-co-VBC) particles but yield obtained was decreasing. Meanwhile, longer reaction time leading to high yield and bigger size of poly(methylmethacrylate-co-EGDMA-co- VBC) particles but with lower quality. For all cases, FTIR analysis proved all functional groups have successfully attached to the polymeric backbone.
Crosslinked Polymer, Morphology, Photo Initiated Dispersion Polymerization, Size Distribution, Yield.
- Kawaguchi S, Ito K. Dispersion polymerization. In Polymer Particles. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 2005 Feb;175:299– 328.
- Abdelrahman AI, Dai S, Thickett SC, Ornatsky O, Bandura D, Baranov V, Winnik MA. Lanthanide-Containing Polymer Microspheres by Multiple-Stage Dispersion Polymerization for Highly Multiplexed Bioassays. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2009;131(42):15276–283.
- Abdelrahman AI, Ornatsky O, Bandura D, Baranov V, Kinach R, Dai S, Winnik, MA. Metal-containing polystyrene beads as standards for mass cytometry. Journal of analytical atomic spectrometry. 2010 Jan;25(3):260–68.
- Yu DG, An JH, Bae JY, Ahn SD, Kang SY, Suh KS. Negatively charged ultrafine black particles of P(MMA-co-EGDMA) by dispersion polymerization for electrophoretic displays. Macromolecules. 2005 Jul;38(17):7485–491.
- Ma Y, Zhang Y, Zhao M, Guo X, Zhang H. Efficient synthesis of narrowly dispersed molecularly imprinted polymer microspheres with multiple stimuli-responsive template binding properties in aqueous media. Chemical Communications. 2012 Apr;48(50):6217–219.
- Saikia PJ. Lee JM, Lee BH, Choe S. Influence of a reversible addition–fragmentation chain transfer agent in the dispersion polymerization of styrene. Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry. 2007 Feb;45(3):348–60.
- Yang W, Yang D, Hu J, Wang C, Fu S. Dispersion copolymerization of styrene and other vinyl monomers in polar solvents. Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry. 2001 Feb;39(4):555–61.
- Song JS, Winnik MA. Cross-linked, monodisperse, micron-sized polystyrene particles by two-stage dispersion polymerization. Macromolecules. 2005 Aug;38(20):8300– 307.
- Ahn JH, Jang JE, Oh CG, Ihm SK, Cortez J, Sherrington DC. Rapid generation and control of microporosity, bimodal pore size distribution, and surface area in Davankovtype hyper-cross-linked resins. Macromolecules. 2006 Dec;39(2):627–32.
- Zhou W, Qu Q, Yu W, An Z. Single Monomer for Multiple Tasks: Polymerization Induced Self-Assembly, Functionalization and Cross-Linking, and Nanoparticle Loading. ACS Macro Letters. 2014 Nov;3(12):1220– 224.
- Tan J, Rao X, Wu X, Deng H, Yang J, Zeng Z. Photoinitiated RAFT dispersion polymerization: a straightforward approach toward highly monodisperse functional microspheres. Macromolecules. 2012 Oct;45(21):8790–795.
- Chen J, Zeng Z, Yang J, Chen Y. Photoinitiated dispersion polymerization of methyl methacrylate: A quick approach to prepare polymer microspheres with narrow size distribution. Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry. 2008 Feb;46(4):1329–338.
- Tan J, Rao X, Yang J, Zeng Z. Monodisperse highly crosslinked living microspheres prepared via photoinitiated RAFT dispersion polymerization. RSC Advances. 2015 Feb;5(24):18922–931.
- Fontanals N, Miralles N, Abdullah N, Davies A, Gilart N, Cormack PA. Evaluation of strong cation-exchange polymers for the determination of drugs by solid-phase extraction–liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A. 2014 May;1343:55–62.
- Abdullah N, Cormack PA. Non-Aqueous Dispersion (NAD) Polymerisation-Based Synthetic Route to Hypercrosslinked Polymer: Effect of Reaction Temperature and Solvent System on Specific Surface Area. In Advanced Materials Research. Trans Tech Publications. 2016;1134:198–202.
- Bratkowska D, Fontanals N, Borrull F, Cormack PAG, Sherrington DC, Marce RM. Hydrophilic hypercrosslinked polymeric sorbents for the solid-phase extraction of polar contaminants from water. Journal of Chromatography A. 2010 May;1217(19):3238–243.
- Gu X, Sun H, Kong X, Fu C, Yu H, Li J, Wang J. A green protocol to prepare monodisperse poly (TMPTMA–styrene) microspheres by photoinitiated precipitation polymerization in low-toxicity solvent. Colloid and Polymer Science. 2013 Feb;291(7):1771–779.
- Tan J, Rao X, Jiang D, Yang J, Zeng Z. One-stage photoinitiated RAFT dispersion polymerization–Reaction parameters for achieving high particle size uniformity. Polymer. 2014 Apr;55(10):2380–388.
- Tan J, Rao X, Yang J, Zeng Z. Synthesis of Highly Monodisperse Surface-Functional Microspheres by Photoinitiated RAFT Dispersion Polymerization Using Macro-RAFT Agents. Macromolecules. 2013 Oct;46(21):8441–448.
- Li K, Stover HD. Synthesis of monodisperse poly (divinylbenzene) microspheres. Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry. 1993 Dec;31(13):3257–263.
- Arshady R. Suspension, emulsion, and dispersion polymerization: a methodological survey. Colloid and Polymer Science. 1992 Aug; 270(8):717–32.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.