Total views : 165
Reactive Blue Dye Removal by Membrane Distillation using PVDF Membrane
Background/Objectives: Membrane distillation (MD) is a thermally driven water separation process which has lately attracted the attention from the academics and industries due to its lower energy requirement relative to pressure driven process. The aim of this paper is to study the performance of self-fabricate hollow fiber membrane in reactive blue dye removal by membrane distillation technique. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In this work, the potential use of polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) for reactive blue dye removal was study by direct contact membrane distillation (DCMD). The membranes were produced by phase inversion spinning method with 1-methyl-2-pyrrolidone (NMP) solvent and ethylene glycol (EG) additive. The membranes were characterized in term of membrane morphology, porosity, liquid entry pressure and hydrophobicity. Findings: Relative to the pristine membrane, PVDF membrane with additive was discovered to be possessed enhanced membrane characteristics, i.e. higher liquid entry pressure and larger pore size. In terms of membrane stability, the experimental results demonstrated that the PVDF membranes with EG as additive were able to generate consistent flux, while maintaining a superior rejection rate of reactive blue dye. Application/Improvements: The result in this work shown that PVDF membrane with EG as additive possesses a superior permeate flux performance and rejection rate which suggested that this membrane possesses the prospect to be applied in the industrial textile wastewater treatment.
Membrane Distillation, Polyvinylidene Fluoride, Reactive Blue, Textile Wastewater
- Lucy M.C, Ludovic D, Jianhua, Z, Jun-de L, Mikel D, Juan G. Advances in Membrane Distillation for Water Desalination and Purification Applications. Water.2013; 5:94–196.
- Wang Z.P, Xue M.M., Huang K, Liu. Z.Z.Textile Dyeing Wastewater Treatment. In Tech China.2011; 5: 91–116.
- Alkhudhiri A, Darwish N, Hilal N. Membrane distillation: A comprehensive review. Desalination.2012; 287:2–18.
- Banat F, Simandal J. Desalination by membrane distillation : A parametric study. Separation Science Technology.1998; 33:201–226.
- Bourawi M, Chung T.S. Highly Porous and macro void free-PVDF hollow fiber membranes for membrane distillation by a solvent dope-solution co-extrusion approach. Journal of Membrane Science. 2009;331:66–74.
- Bourawi M., Ding Z, Khayet M. A framework for better understanding membrane distillation process. Journal of Membrane Science. 2006; 285:4–29.
- Curcio E, Drioli E. Membrane Distillation and related operations-a review. Separation Purification Reviews. 2005;34:35–86.
- Chong K. C, Lai S. O, Lee K. M, Lau W.J, Ismail A. F, Ooi B.S. Characteristics and performance of polyvinylidene fluoride membranes blended with different additives in direct contact membrane distillation. Desalination and Water Treatment.2015;54 (12): 3218–226.
- Chong K.C, Lai S.O, Lau W.J, Ooi B.S. Preparation, characterization and performance of polyvinylidene fluoride membrane for sodium chloride rejection in direct contact membrane distillation. Materials Research Innovation. 2014;18:S6 359-363.
- Ahmad A.L., Ideris N, Ooi B.S, Low S.C, Ismail A. Synthesis of polyvinlidene fluoride (PVDF) membranes for protein binding: Effect of casting thickness. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2012;128(5):3438–445.
- Yuliwati E, Ismail A.F, Matsuura T, Kassim M.A, Abdullah M.S. Characterization of surface-modified porous PVDF hollow fibers for refinery wastewater treatment using microscopic observation. Desalination. 2011;283:206–213.
- Mokhtar N.M, Lau W.J, Ng B.C, Ismail A.F, Veerasamy D. Preparation and characterization of PVDF membranes incorporated with different additives for dyeing solution treatment using membrane distillation. Desalination and Water Treatment. 2015; 56:1999–2012.
- FluidsChe 2017 official website. http://fluidsche.ump.edu. my/index.php/en/
- The Center of Excellence for Advanced Research in Fluid Flow (CARIFF) http://cariff.ump.edu.my/
- Ranganathan B., Gimbun J., Gajendran N. Fluid dynamics - International Conference on Fluids and Chemical Engineering- FluidChE 2017, Malaysia, Special Issue, Vol: 1. Indian Journal of science and technology. 2017, 10(2), 1-5
- University Malaysia Pahang. www.ump.edu.my
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.