Total views : 214
Influence of PVDF/Pebax TFC Casting Temperature towards CO2/N2 Gas Separation
Objectives: A Thin Film Composite (TFC) membranes has been successfully synthesized via introducing casting temperature adjustment to counter the permeability-selectivity conflict. Methods: 15 wt% Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) was diluted in 85 wt% N-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone (NMP) and cast on a glass plate at 40°C-80°C. To form the TFC, 3 wt% of Polyether block amides (Pebax 1657) was used as a coating layer on top of the PVDF substrate. Findings: The surface roughness of the samples cast at 60°C was measured to be 102.6 nm while the other is less than 100 nm and the CO2 and N2 flux was measured to be 749 and 13 barrer respectively with CO2/N2 selectivity of 58.54. Application: The result has been plot on Robeson 1991 and it fall beyond the upper boundaries, indicate that the future of coating material and casting techniques can be further explored to maximize the limit of material capabilities.
Composite Membrane, Coating Method, CO2/N2 Separation, PEBAX, PVDF
- Nemati M, Hosseini SM. Thin film heterogeneous ion exchange membranes prepared by interfacial polymerization of PAA-co-Iron-Nickel oxide nano-particles on polyvinylchloride based substrate. International Journal of Engineering. 2016 Mar; 29(3):297-305.
- Robeson LM. The upper bound revisited. Journal of Membrane Science. 2008 Jul; 320(1-2):390-400.
- Prapainainara P, Theampetch A, Kongkachuichay P, Laosiripojanag N, Holmesh SM, Prapainainar C. Effect of solution casting temperature on properties of nafioncomposite membrane with surface modified mordenite for direct methanol fuel cell. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2015Jun; 271:63-73.
- Jomekiana A, Behbahania R, Mohammadi T, Kargaric A. Utilization of Pebax 1657 as structure directing agent in fabrication of ultra-porous ZIF-8. Journal of Solid State Chemistry. 2016 Mar; 235:212-16.
- Wang J, Zheng L, Wu Z, Zhang Y, Zhang X. Fabrication of hydrophobic flat sheet and hollow fiber membranes from PVDF and PVDF-CTFE for membrane distillation. Journal of Membrane Science. 2016 Jan; 497:183-93.
- Wang S, Liu Y, Huang S, Wu H, Li Y, Tian Z, Jiang Z. Pebax–PEG–MWCNT hybrid membranes with enhanced CO2 capture properties. Journal of Membrane Science. 2014 Jun; 460:62-70.
- Esposito E, Clarizia G, Bernardo P, Jansen JC, Sedlakova Z, Izak P, Curcio S, Cindio BD, Tasselli F. Pebax/PAN hollow fiber membranes for CO2/CH4 separation. Chemical Engineering and Processing. 2015 Mar; 94:53-61.
- eow YH. Characterization and performance evaluation of ultrafiltration membrane for humic acid removal. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jun; 9(22):1-8.
- Meng N, Priestley RCE, Zhang Y, Wang H, Zhang X. The effect of reduction degree of GO nanosheets on microstructure and performance of PVDF/GO hybrid membranes. Journal of Membrane Science. 2016 Mar; 501:169-78.
- Car A, Stropnik C, Yave W, Peinemann KV. PEG modified poly(amide-b-ethylene oxide) membranes for CO2 separation. Journal of Membrane Science. 2008 Sept; 307:88-95.
- Rahman MM, Filiz V, Shishatskiy S, Abetz C, Neumann S, Bolmer S, Khan MM, Abetz V. PEBAX® with PEG functionalized POSS as nano-composite membranes for CO2 separation. Journal of Membrane Science. 2013 Mar; 437:286-97.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.