Total views : 5175
Ultrasonic Assisted Extraction on Phenolic and Flavonoid Content from Phyllanthus niruri Plant
Objectives: To find out the effect of ultrasonic assisted extraction with various solvents of phenolic and flavonoid compound extracted from P. niruri. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Phenolic content from P. niruri was analyzed using Singleton’s method while the flavonoid content was analyzed by aluminum chloride colorimetric assay. Findings: The polyphenols extraction was greatly affected by the solvent type and concentration, particle size of the plant powder, solid liquid ratio and frequency. The highest phenolic content and flavonoid content were obtained at the solid ratio of 2g dry weight P. niruri powder at 119.28 mg GAE/g DW and 75.86 mg QE/g DW. Application/Improvements: The phenolic and flavonoid content reached its optimum extraction yield at the particle size of 125 μm, using 40% EtOH as solvent and the extraction yield increased when the ultrasonic frequency is increased to 53 kHz. The extraction method used in this work may serve as a useful guide to obtain optimum polyphenol extraction from P. niruri.
Phyllanthus niruri, Total Phenolic Content, Total Flavonoid Content, Ultrasonic Assisted Extraction
- Markom M, Hasan M, Daud WRW, Singh H, Jahim JM. Extraction of hydrolysable tannins from Phyllanthusniruri linn: Effects of solvents and extraction methods. Separation and Purification Technology. 2007; 52(3):487–96.
- Tripathi AK, Verma RK, Gupta AK, Gupta MM, Khanuja SP. Quantitative determination of phyllanthinand hypophyllantin in phyllanthus species by high-performance thin layer chromatography. Phytochemistry Analysis. 2006; 17(6):394–7.
- Pang SF, Yusoff MM, Gimbun J. Assessment of phenolic compounds stability and retention during spray drying of Orthosiphonstamineus extracts. Food Hydrocolloids. 2014; 37:159–65.
- Ncube NS, Afolayan AJ, Okoh AI. Assessment techniques of antimicrobial properties of natural compounds of plant origin: Current methods and future trends. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2008; 7(12):1797–806.
- Sparzak B, Dybowksi F, Krauze-Baranowska M. Analysis of Securinega-type alkaloids from Phyllanthus glaucus biomass. Phytochemistry Letters. 2015; 11:353–7.
- Poh-Hwa T, Toke-Kqueen C, Indu Bala J, Son R. Bio protein properties of three Malaysia Phyllanthus Species: An investigation on the antioxidant and antimicrobial activities. International Food Research Journal. 2011; 18(3):887–93.
- Murugaiyah V, Chan KL. Alnalysis of lignans from Phyllanthusniruri l. in plasma using a simple HPLC method with fluorescence detection and its application in a pharmacokinetic study. Journal of Chromatography. 2007; 852(1-2):138–44.
- Singleton VL, Rossi JA. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture.1965; 16:144–58.
- Pang SF. Identification, extraction and microencapsulation of phenolic compounds from Orthosiphonstamineus leaves. [Master Thesis]. Malaysia: Universiti Malaysia Pahang; 2013.
- Cuoco G, Mathe C, Archier P, Chemat F, Vieillenscazes C. A multivariate study of the performance of an ultrasound-assisted madder dyes extraction and characterization by liquid chromatography-photodiode array detection. Ultrasonic Sonochemistry. 2009; 16(1):75–82.
- Garcia-Ayuso LE, Luque de Castro MD. Multivariate study of the performance of a microwave-assisted soxhlet extractor for olive seeds. Analytica Chimica Acta. 1999; 382(3):309–16.
- Wong SP, Leong LP, Koh JHW. Anioxidant activities of aqueous extracts selected plant. Food Chemistry. 2006; 99(4):775–83.
- Tian F, Li B, JiB P, Yang J, Zhang G, Chen Y, Luo Y. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of consecutive extracts from gallachinensis: The polarity effects the bioactivities. Food Chemistry. 2009; 113(1):173–9.
- Liao J, Qu B, Liu D, Zheng N. New method to enhance the extraction yield of rutin from Sophora japonica using a novel ultrasonic extraction system by determining optimum ultrasonic frequency. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry. 2015; 27:110–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.