Total views : 218
Categorization of Lean Research and Development Tools and Techniques: A Process-Based Approach
Several categorizations of lean tools and techniques introduces are very specific requirement and yet there is no way systematically to link the Research and Development (R&D) based organization challenges. In this paper, we focus on the several categorizations of lean tools and techniques employed in manufacturing industry, discuss their weakness and related it with the R&D environment. A mass study done by prior researchers’ shows that most of the lean tools and techniques categorization focused on one side change initiative and not highlights the importance of every process in R&D thus affect the R&D based organization performance. Additionally, there is limited evidence to show that all LRDTT involved in R&D activity were categorized in a correct group function. Thus, this paper proposes a framework for categorizing the LRDTT that is applicable to R&D activity. The proposed framework is developed based on the activity of the R&D. As such, the proposed framework treats R&D activities individually. The framework allows reducing the misuse/misapplication of lean tools and techniques in R&D activities. It also allows observing existing gaps between the lean tools and techniques by considering every process in R&D environment.
Categorization, Improvement Tools, Lean, Process-based, Research and Development, Tools and Techniques
- Hafer M. Applying Lean to New Product Development. Manufacturing Engineering: Canada, 2011.
- Lopes, R. B. Freitas, F., & Sousa, I. Application of Lean Manufacturing Tools in The Food and Beverage Industries. Journal of Technology Management and Innovation. 2015 October;10(3): 120–130.
- Mwacharo F.K. Challenges of Lean Management. University of Applied Sciences. 2013.
- Pavnaskar S. J, Gershenson J. K, Jambekar A. B. Classification Scheme for Lean Manufacturing Tools. International Journal of Production Research. 2003 November;41(3): 3075–90.
- VinodhS, Arvind K.R., Somanaathan. M. Tools and Techniques For Enabling Sustainability Through Lean Initiatives. Clean Technologies and Environmental Polic.2011 July;13(3):469–79.
- Reinertsen D, ShaefferL. Making R&D Lean: The Logic of Lean Manufacturing has Possible Applications in R&D. Research-Technology Management. 2005.p.1–12.
- Chiesa V, Frattini F, Lazzarotti V, Manzini R. An Exploratory Study on R&D Performance Measurement Practices: A Survey of Italian R&D – Intensive Firms. International Journal of Innovation Management. 2009;13(1):64–104.
- Vriens H. R&D and Innovation – Creating Competitive Advantage. Investor & Analyst Days. 2011.p. 1–10.
- Yoon B, Lee K, Lee S, Yoon J. Development of an R&D Process Model For Enhancing the Quality of R&D: Comparison With CMMI, ISO and EIRMA. Total Quality Management and Business Excellence. 2015;26(7):746–61.
- Gruchman G. The Process-based View of A Company – Principles and Applications. BPTrends. 2009 January:1–12.
- Pavei M, Dal Bello S, Groeneveld H, Rizzolo A. R&D Activities for the Design of The MITICA Plasma Driver Plate Manufacturing Process Via Explosion Bonding Technique. Fusion Engineering and Design. 2013; 88(9 –10):1664–667.
- Kowang T. O, Afandi N. N, Long C. S, Rasli, A. Classification of Quality Tools and Techniques: A Quality Management System Approach. Advance Science Letters. 2015;21(5):2015 –16.
- Neha S., Singh M. G, Simran, K, Pramod, G. Lean Manufacturing Tools and Techniques in Process Industry.2013 March:54 – 63.
- Agyei-Boahene A. Feasible of Just-In-Time (JIT) in Ghana. 2010 April.
- Amin M, Karim M. A Systematic Approach to Evaluate the Process Improvement in Lean Manufacturing Organizations. Sustainable Manufacturing. 2012; 65 – 70.
- Attane I. Challenges for Technological Development in China’s Industry. China Perspectives. 2012; 3(4):5–15.
- Christodolou A. Factors of Success for the Effective Implementation of Lean Manufacturing Projects within the Banking Sector in South Africa. University of Pretoria, 2008.
- Farhana F. Lean Production Practices in Bangladesh: An Investigation into the Extent Practices and the Existence of Enabling Environments for Lean Implementation. Thesis Collection. University of Wollongong, 2009.
- Yamashita K. Implementation of Lean Manufacturing Process to XYZ Company in Minneapolis Area. University of Wisconsin-Stout, 2004.
- Bresko M. The 5S Method of Improvement – Enhancing Safety, Productivity and Culture. Des Case Corporation. 2015; 1–6.
- Soediono B. Implementing the 5S Methodology for Lab Management. Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling. 2010; 53:160.
- Yeap T. K. 5 Stages Improvement Model (5SIM) for Integrating Lean Manufacturing and Six sigma (DMAIC).Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2007.
- Barnhart T. M. Creating A Lean R&D System. London. CRC Press; 2013.
- Sobek D. K, Smalley A. Understanding A3 Thinking: A Critical Component of Toyota’s PDCA Management System. New York: Taylor & Francis Group;2008.
- Paneru N. Implementation of Lean Manufacturing Tools in Garment Manufacturing Process Focusing Sewing Section of Men’s Shirt. Oulu University of Applied Sciences. 2011.
- Cutcher-gershenfield J, Musco, C. Kaizen-Teian Improvement System. 2004.p. 1–17.
- Hashim S, Fadzlin A, Zubir M., Conding J, Seri N. A. Kaizen Event and Innovation Performance in Malaysian Automotive Industry. 2012; 3(2):11–22.
- Hynes M., Clark T, See I, Barnhart T, Englebach, B. Lean Six Sigma & Kaizen for Pharma. R&D Conference;2012.
- Shuang L.E. Implementation of 7QC by using Kaizen Approach for SME Manufacturing Industry, 2012.
- Hazimeh O, Thut M. Bringing Lean Concepts into Product Development. Manufacturing Engineering. 2016.
- Sundar R, Balaji A. N, Kumar R. M. S. (2014). A Review on Lean Manufacturing Implementation Techniques. Procedia Engineering. 2013;97:1875–885.
- Davis K, Forrester J.Lean Six Sigma Helping Your R&D Process. 2014.
- Patel R. Modeling Lean Six Sigma in the Small Packaging Industry in India. Theses Rochester Institute of Technology. 2011.p.127.
- Ramamoorthy S. Lean Six-SigmaApplications in Aircraft Assembly. University of Madras, 2007.
- Thi S, Nga Q. The Relationship Between Lean Six Sigma and Organizational Performance : An Empirical Investigation. Lincoln University, 2010.
- Europe I. How to reap the benefit of standardisation in R & D. 2012 July.p.1–9.
- KulkarniP. P, Kshire S. S, Chandratre K. V. Productivity improvement through lean deployment & work study methods. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. 2014;3(2): 429–34.
- Zhou X. Project Management Standardization and R&D Project Performance: A Cross-National Comparison. Knowledge Enterprise: Intelligent Strategies in Product Design, Manufacturing, and Management. 2006;207:363–69.
- Deif A.M, ElMaraghy H. Cost performance dynamics in lean production leveling. Journal of Manufacturing Systems. 2014; 33(4):613–23.
- Ducharme C, Ruddick T, Graban M. Takt Time. 2004:P.1–12.
- Schuler P, Buckley B. M. Re-Engineering Clinical Trials: Best Practices for Streamlining the Development. Elsevier Inc: London, 2015.
- Jong J. P. J, de Hartog D. N. Den. Innovative Work Behavior : Measurement and Validation. Scientific Analysis of Entrepreneurship and SMEs. 2008 November.p.1–27.
- Schittny S. U, Rauhut M.Value and It’s Importance: Value Stream Mapping in R&D Departments, a Case Study. Complexity Management Journal. 2010; 3:14–17.
- Thummala G. Value stream mapping for software development process, 2004.
- Brady D. A.Using Visual Management to Improve Transparency in Planning and Control in Construction. University of Salford, 2014.
- Lindlöf L. Visual Management - on Communication in Product Development Organization. 2014.
- Dombrowski U, Zahn T. Design of a Lean Development Framework. IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management. 2011.p.1917–921.
- Larteb Y, Haddout A, Benhadou M., & Manufacturing, L. Successful Lean Implementation: The Systematic and Simultaneous Consideration of Soft and Hard Lean Practices. International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science. 2015;3(2):1258–270.
- Pojasek R. B. Lean. Six Sigma, and the Systems Approach: Management Initiatives for Process Improvement. Environmental Quality Management. 2003;13(2):85–92.
- Soković M, Jovanović J, Krivokapić Z, Vujović A. Basic Quality Tools in Continuous Improvement Process. Journal of Mechanical Engineering. 2009; 55(5):1–9.
- Abdulmalek F. A. R. A Classification Scheme for the Process Industry to Guide the Implementation of Lean. Engineering Management Journal. 2006 August;18:15–25.
- Van N, Bocquet J. C, Eynard B, Jankovic M, Vosgien T. Lean Approach To Integrate Collaborative Product Development Processes and Digital Engineering Systems. International Conference of Engineering Design. 2011.P.1–8.
- Gelec E, Wagner F. Future Trends and key challenges in R & D Management – Results of an empirical study within industrial R & D in Germany. 2014.p.1–9.
- Hagberg M, Khalil S. Success Factors, Challenges and Problems during External Technology Exploitation on an R&D Company. KTH Industrial Engineering and Management, 2014.
- Majerus N. Lean-Driven Innovation: Powering Product Development at The Good year Tire & Rubber Company. CRC Press: London, 2016.
- Whittemore R, Melkus G. Design Decisions in Research. E-Source - Behavioural & Social Sciences Research. 2008.p.1–31.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.