Total views : 268
Design of a Fault Tolerant Architecture for Private Cloud Computing Infrastructure
Objectives: Cloud computing has emerged as a cost-effective technology providing services to business-enterprise and IT industry. In this paper, we discuss a novel fault-tolerant scheme from an administration point of view that corresponds to implementation of Redundant Array of Independent Nodes (RAIN) model based architecture for ensuring fault-tolerance in a private cloud infrastructure setup. Methods: After exploring various combinations of Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) and Logical Volume Manager (LVM) techniques, we propose a novel idea of having a fault-tolerant architecture for cloud infrastructure. Findings: As an alternative to the existing cloud fault-tolerant techniques which use expensive and specialized shared storage system, local server disk pool will be used for storing VM images. This architecture provides a robust infrastructure built over Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI) targets and software RAID. Application: This RAIN based model can be deployed over the existing cloud infrastructure. This storage model can be used by cloud toolkits to provide fault tolerant backend for storage.
Cloud Computing, Fault-Tolerance, iSCSI Target, RAID, Virtualization.
- Jhawar R, Piuri V, Santambrogio M. Fault Tolerance Management in Cloud Computing: A System-Level Perspective, Ieee Systems Journal. 2013 Jun; 7(2):288−97.
- Rajesh S, Devi RK. Improving Fault Tolerance in Virtual Machine Based Cloud Infrastructure, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2014 Mar; 3(3):2163−68.
- Tchana A, Broto L, Hagimont D. Fault Tolerant Approaches in Cloud Computing Infrastructures, ICAS, 2012, Proceedings of the Eight International conference on Autonomic and Autonomous Systems; 42−48.
- Padmakumari P, Umamakeswari A. Methodical Review on Various Fault Tolerant and Monitoring Mechanisms to Improve Reliability on Cloud Environment, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(35):1−6.
- Giriesh S, Sindhuja V, Padmakumari P, Umamakeswari A. Dynamic Data Fault Tolerance Mechanism to Enhance Reliability and Availability in Cloud, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 May; 8(S9):300−05.
- RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks). Date accessed: 2016. http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/RAID
- RAID-redundant Array of Independent Disks. Date accessed: 2016. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3: System Administration Guide, Chapter 3. Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID). Hardware RAID Versus Software RAID. Date accessed: 2003. https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/3/html/System_Administration_Guide/s1-raid-approaches.html
- The Linux Logical Volume Manager. Date accessed: 30/07/2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager (Linux)
- iSCSI. Date accessed: 07/08/2015. http://linux-iscsi.org/wiki/ISCSI
- TGT iSCSI Target. Date accessed: 08/10/2015. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TGT_iSCSI_Target
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.