Total views : 274
Students’ Performance and Employability Prediction through Data Mining: A Survey
Objective: To systematically review the work done in the field of academic performance prediction and employability prediction of students in higher education. Methods: The survey first explain show higher education has become an exciting field of research and why the prediction of academic performance and employability is beneficial for the institutions. We also explain briefly in how many ways higher education is being provided world-wide. Then we discuss the work done in both the areas of prediction. Findings: The survey explores existing research highlights and finds that prediction of academic performance has progressed a lot but employability prediction is yet to mature. Application: It further suggests few parameters that have not been considered so far in predicting the performance or employability.
Academic Performance, Data Mining, Employability, Higher Education, Prediction, Survey
- Romero C, Ventura S. Educational data mining: a review of the state of the art. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C (Applications and Reviews). 2010 Nov; 40(6):601–18. Crossref
- Baker RS, Yacef K. The state of educational data mining in 2009: A review and future visions. JEDM-Journal of Educational Data Mining. 2009 Oct; 1(1):3–17
- Romero C, Ventura S. Educational data mining: A survey from 1995 to 2005. Expert systems with applications. 2007 Jul; 33(1):135–46. Crossref
- Pe-a-Ayala A. Educational data mining: A survey and a data mining-based analysis of recent works. Expert systems with applications. 2014 Mar; 41(4):1432–62. Crossref
- Thakar P. Performance Analysis and Prediction in Educational Data Mining: A Research Travelogue. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2015 Jan; 110(15):60–8.
- Nghe NT, Janecek P, Haddawy P. A comparative analysis of techniques for predicting academic performance. 37th Annual Frontiers in Education Conference-Global Engineering: Knowledge without Borders, Opportunities without Passports 2007 Oct, T2G-7, 2007.
- Ogor EN. Student academic performance monitoring and evaluation using data mining techniques. Electronics, Robotics and Automotive Mechanics Conference, 2007 Sep. p.354–9. Crossref
- Oladokun VO, Adebanjo AT, Charles-Owaba OE. Predicting students’ academic performance using artificial neural network: A case study of an engineering course. The Pacific Journal of Science and Technology. 2008 May; 9(1):72–9.
- Cortez P, Silva AM. Using data mining to predict secondary school student performance. 2008; 1–8.
- Ramaswami M, Bhaskaran R. A study on feature selection techniques in educational data mining. ArXiv preprint arXiv.2009 Dec; 1(1):7–11.
- Paris IH, Affendey LS, Mustapha N. Improving academic performance prediction using voting technique in data mining. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology.2010 Feb; 62:820–3.
- Kovacic Z. Early prediction of student success: Mining students’ enrolment data. 2010; 647–65.
- Kovačić ZJ, Green JS. Predictive working tool for early identification of ‘at risk’students. 2010; 1–73.
- Ramaswami M, Bhaskaran R. A CHAID based performance prediction model in educational data mining. ArXiv preprint arXiv. 2010 Feb; 7(1):1–9.
- Guruler H, Istanbullu A, Karahasan M. A new student performance analysing system using knowledge discovery in higher educational databases. Computers & Education.2010 Aug; 55(1):247–54. Crossref
- Delen D. A comparative analysis of machine learning techniques for student retention management. Decision Support Systems. 2010 Nov; 49(4):498–506. Crossref
- Affendey LS, Paris IH, Mustapha N, Suleiman MN, Muda Z. Ranking of influencing factors in predicting students’ academic performance. Information Technology Journal.2010; 9(4):832–7. Crossref
- Baradwaj BK, Pal S. Mining educational data to analyze students’ performance. ArXiv preprint arXiv: 1201.3417. 2012 Jan; 2(6):63–9.
- Huang S. Predictive modeling and analysis of student academic performance in an engineering dynamics course. 2011; 1–136.
- Cheewaprakobkit P. Study of Factors Analysis Affecting Academic Achievement of Undergraduate Students in International Program. Proceedings of the International Multi Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists. 2013; 1:13–5.
- Şen B, Uçar E, Delen D. Predicting and analyzing secondary education placement-test scores: A data mining approach. Expert Systems with Applications. 2012 Aug; 39(10):9468– 76. Crossref
- Osmanbegović E, Suljić M. Data mining approach for predicting student performance. Economic Review. 2012 May; 10(1):3–12
- Shah NS. Predicting Factors That Affect Students’ academic Performance by Using Data Mining Techniques. Pakistan business review. 2012 Jan; 631(68):631–810.
- Kabakchieva D. Predicting student performance by using data mining methods for classification. Cybernetics and information technologies. 2013 Mar; 13(1):61–72. Crossref
- Ramesh VA, Parkavi P, Ramar K. Predicting student performance: a statistical and data mining approach. International journal of computer applications. 2013 Jan; 63(8):35–9. Crossref
- Harvey L. Defining and measuring employability. Quality in higher education. 2001 Jul; 7(2):97–109. Crossref
- Gokuladas VK. Technical and nontechnical education and the employability of engineering graduates: an Indian case study. International Journal of Training and Development.2010 Jun; 14(2):130–43. Crossref
- Rees C, Forbes P, Kubler B. Student employability profiles. New York: The Higher Education Academy; 2006. p. 1–83.
- Kahya E. The effects of job performance on effectiveness.International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 2009 Jan; 39(1):96–104. Crossref
- Chien CF, Chen LF. Data mining to improve personnel selection and enhance human capital: A case study in high-technology industry. Expert Systems with applications.2008 Jan; 34(1):280–90. Crossref
- Mukhtar M, Yahya Y, Abdullah S, Hamdan AR, Jailani N, Abdullah Z. Employability and service science: Facing the challenges via curriculum design and restructuring. International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Informatics.2009 Aug; 2:357–61. Crossref
- Shafie LA, Nayan S. Employability awareness among Malaysian undergraduates. International Journal of Business and Management. 2010 Aug; 5(8):119–23.
- Gokuladas VK. Predictors of employability of engineering graduates in campus recruitment drives of Indian software services companies. International Journal of Selection and Assessment. 2011 Sep; 19(3):313–9. Crossref
- Othman Z, Musa F, Mokhtar NH, Ya’acob A, Latiff RA, Hussin H. Investigating University Graduates’ English Language Competency towards Employability: A Proposed Research Method. International Journal of Learning. 2010 Aug; 17(7):429–40.
- Potgieter I, Coetzee M. Employability attributes and personality preferences of postgraduate business management students. SA Journal of Industrial Psychology. 2013 Jan; 39(1):1–10. Crossref
- Yusoff YM, Omar MZ, Zaharim A, Mohamed A, Muhamad N. Employability skills performance score for fresh engineering graduates in Malaysian industry. Asian Social Science. 2012 Dec; 8(16):140–5. Crossref
- Jantawan B, Tsai CF. The Application of Data Mining to Build Classification Model for Predicting Graduate Employment. ArXiv preprint arXiv: 1312.7123. 2013 Dec;11(10):1–7.
- Pool LD, Qualter P. Emotional self‐efficacy, graduate employability, and career satisfaction: Testing the associations. Australian Journal of Psychology. 2013 Dec; 65(4):214–23. Crossref
- Mishra T, Kumar D, Gupta S. Mining Students’ Data for Prediction Performance. Fourth International Conference on Advanced Computing & Communication Technologies. 2014 Feb; 255–62. Crossref
- Mishra T, Kumar D, Gupta S. Students’ Employability Prediction Model through Data Mining. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2016; 11(4):2275–82.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.