Total views : 285
An Intelligent Intrusion Detection and Prevention System for Safeguard Mobile Adhoc Networks against Malicious Nodes
Objectives: Mobile Adhoc Networks (MANETs) due to their dynamic topology are more liable to have security problems. These Adhoc Networks are easily susceptible to various types of attacker nodes. Out of the numerous attacks black hole, flooding and selective packet drop attacks are more hazardous attacks which reduce the performance of network under various parameters. Due to this problem, there is a need to develop a new approach for mitigating these attacker nodes simultaneously to improve the performance of MANETs Methods: An Intelligent Intrusion Detection and Prevention System (IIDPS) is proposed for preventing the ad hoc network from these three types of attacks under the AODV protocol. The proposed mechanism works on the basis of trust management. This research work consists of a central network administrator for detecting malicious nodes in the MANETs. IIDPS includes a trust manager which categorizes the trust of the network into different categories. Different types of malicious nodes are identified by the behavior classifier based on a predefined threshold and risk factor conditions. Findings: The proposed IIDPS is responsible for preventing MANETs from the black hole, flooding, and selective packet drop attacker nodes. At the same time, the proposed prevention system improves the performance of the network in the terms of numerous parameters like throughput, overhead, delay, packet delivery ratio etc. Novelty/ Improvement: There is no technique exist for MANETs under AODV protocol for detecting black hole, flooding and selective packet drop malicious nodes. The proposed IIDPS solves this issue to handle of these multiple attacks at the same time.
Intelligent Intrusion Detection and Prevention System (IIDPS), Malicious Nodes, Mobile Adhoc Networks, Security, Trust Management
- Soni M, Ahirwa M, Aggarwal S. A Survey on Intrusion Detection in MANET. International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks. 2015; p. 1027-32.
- Singh J, Kaur L, Gupta S. Analysis of Intrusion Detection Tools for Wireless Local Area Networks. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security. 2009 July; 9 (7):168-77.
- Mulert J, Welch I, Seah W. Security threats and solutions in MANETs: A case study using AODV and SAODV. Elsevier: Journal of Network and Computer Applications. 2012 July; 35 (4):1249-59. Crossref
- Nadeem A, Howarth M. A Survey of MANET Intrusion Detection and Prevention Approaches for Network Layer Attacks. IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials.2013; 15 (4):2027-45. Crossref
- Djahel S, Farid N, Zhang Z. Mitigating Packet Dropping Problem in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Proposals and Challenges.IEEE communications surveys and tutorials. 201; 13(4):658-72. Crossref
- Rajesh M, Usha G. Springer Sciences: A Novel Honeypot Based Detection and Isolation Approach (NHBADI) To Detect and Isolate Black Hole Attacks in MANET. Wireless Personal Communications. 2016 September; 90 (2):831-45.
- Panos C, Ntantogian C, Malliaros S, Xenakis C. Elsevier: Computer Networks. 2017 February; 113 (11): 94-110.Crossref
- Li X, Jia Z, Zhang P, Zhang R, Wang H. Trust-based on-demand multipath routing in mobile ad hoc networks.IET Information Security. 2010 December; 4(4):212-32.Crossref
- Liu K, Deng J, Varshney K, Balakrishnan K. An AcknowledgmentBased Approach for the Detection of Routing Misbehavior in MANETs. USA: NJ: IEEE Educational Activities Department Piscataway. 2007; 6 (5):536-50.Crossref
- Singh JM, Kumar J, Kathirvel A, Kirubakaran N. A unified approach for detecting and eliminating selfish nodes in MANETs using TBUT. Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. 2015 December; p. 1-10.
- Manikandan S, Manimegalai R. Trust Based Routing to Mitigate Black Hole Attack in MANET. Life Science Journal.2013; 10 (4):490-98.
- Li Z, Shen H. Game-Theoretic Analysis of Cooperation Incentive Strategies in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. IEEE transactions on mobile computing. 2012; 11(8):1287-303.Crossref
- Poongoi T, Karthikeyan M. Localized Secure Routing Architecture against Cooperative Black Hole Attack in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Wireless Personal Communications.Springer Science and Business Media. 2016; 90(2):1039-50.Crossref
- Safa H, Artail H, Tabet D. A cluster-based trust-aware routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks. Wireless networks.Springer Science and Business Media. 2010; 16(4): 969-84.
- Shahabi S, Ghazvini M, Bakhtiarian M. A modified algorithm to improve security and performance of AODV protocol against black hole attack. Wireless Networks. Springer Science and Business Media. 2015.
- Shakshuki M, Kang N, Sheltami R. EAACK - A Secure IntrusionDetection System for MANETs. IEEE transactions on industrial electronics. 2013; 60(3):1-10. Crossref
- Arya M, Jain Y. Grayhole Attack and Prevention in Mobile Adhoc Network. International Journal of Computer Applications.
- ; 27(10):1-6. Crossref
- Cho Y, Qu G. Detection and Prevention of Selective ForwardingBased Denial-of-Service Attacks in WSNs. Hindawi Publishing Corporation: International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks. 2013; p. 1-13.
- Liao H, Ding S. Mixed and Continuous Strategy MonitorForward Game Based Selective Forwarding Solution in WSN. Hindawi Publishing Corporation: International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks. 2015.
- Baadache A, Belmehdi A. Fighting against packet dropping misbehavior in multi-hop wireless ad hoc networks. Elsevier: Journal of Network and Computer Applications. 2012; 35(3):1130-39. Crossref
- Chuachan T, Puangpronpitag S. A Novel Challenge and Response Scheme against Selective Forwarding Attacks in MANETs. International Conference on Ubiquitous and Future Networks (ICUFN). 2013.
- Gurung S, Chauhan SA. Novel approach for mitigating gray hole attack in MANET. Wireless Networks. Springer Science and Business Media. 2016.
- Hao D, Liao X, Adhikari A, Sakurai K, Yokoo M. A repeated game approach for analyzing the collusion on selective forwarding in multi hop wireless networks. Elsevier: Computer Communication. 2012; 35(17):2125-37. Crossref
- Kumari V, Paramasivan B. Ant based Defense Mechanism for Selective Forwarding Attack in MANET. IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering Workshops (ICDEW).
- ; p. 1-4. Crossref
- Mohanapriya M, Krishnamurthi I. Modified DSR protocol for detection and removal of selective black hole attack in MANET. 2013; 40(2):530-38.
- Su M. Prevention of selective black hole attacks on mobile ad hoc networks through intrusion detection systems.Elsevier: Computer Communications. 2011; 34:107-17.Crossref
- Xiaoa B, Yua B, Gao C. CHEMAS: Identify suspect nodes in selective forwarding attacks. Elsevier: Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing. 2007; p. 1218-30.
- Geetha K, Sreenath N. Detection of SYN Flooding Attack in Mobile Ad hoc Networks with AODV Protocol. Springer: Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering. 2016; 41(3):1161-72.
- Reina D, Toral S, Jonhson P, Barrero F. Hybrid Flooding Scheme for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. IEEE communications letters. 2013; 17(3):592-95. Crossref
- Ahmed N, Abdullah A, Chizari H, Kaiwartya O. F3TM: Flooding Factor based Trust Management Framework for secure data transmission in MANETs. Journal of King Saud University - Computer and Information Sciences. 2016; p.1-12.
- Cervera G, Barbeau M, Alfaro J, Kranakis E. A multipath routing strategy to prevent flooding disruption attacks in link state routing protocols for MANETs. Elsevier: Journal of Network and Computer Applications. 2013; 36(2):74455. Crossref
- Jia Q, Sun K, Stavrou A. Capability-Based Defenses against DoS Attacks in Multi-path MANET Communications.Wireless Personal Communications, Springer Science and Business Media. 2013; 73(1):127-48. Crossref
- Jiang F, Lin C, Wub H. Elsevier: Ad Hoc Networks: Lifetime elongation of ad hoc networks under flooding attack using the power-saving technique. 2014; 21:84-96. Crossref
- Patidar D, Vaishnav S, Dubey J. A Hybrid Approach for Dynamic Intrusion Detection, Enhancement of Performance and Security in MANET. ACM: International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for Competitive Strategies. 2016. Crossref
- Ping Y, Ya H, Yiping B, Shiyong Z, Zhoulin D. Flooding attack and defence in Adhoc networks. Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics. 2006; 17(2):410-16. Crossref
- Rmayti M, Begrichey Y, Khatouny R, Khoukhi L, Gaiti D. Flooding Attacks Detection in MANETs. International Conference on Cyber Security of Smart cities, Industrial Control System and Communications (SSIC). 2015.Crossref
- Muhamad S, Rifquddin R. Performance of AOMDV Routing Protocol under Rushing and Flooding Attacks in MANET. Proceeding of 2nd International Conference on Information Technology, Computer and Electrical Engineering (ICITACEE). 2015.
- Wang S, Sun Q, Zou H, Yang F. Detecting SYN flooding attacks based on traffic prediction. Security and Communication Networks. Wiley Online Library. 2012.
- Yu J, Lee H, Kim M, Park D, Gun Y. Traffic flooding attack detection with SNMP MIB using SVM. Computer Communications.2008; 31:4212-19. Crossref
- Djenouri D, Badache N. Struggling against Selfishness and Black hole Attacks in MANETs. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing. UK: Wiley Online Library. 2008; p.689-704.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.