Total views : 189
Study on Non-Thermal Food Processing Utilizing an Underwater Shockwave
In this paper, a novel non-thermal food processing system utilizing an underwater shockwave is proposed to process food at high speed. In the non-thermal food processing, target foods are crushed by an underwater shockwave generated by a high voltage. Unlike conventional non-thermal food processing systems, the proposed system has a high voltage multiplier which can generate the underwater shockwave at high speed. Therefore, the proposed system can achieve a high production capacity. The validity of the proposed high voltage multiplier is confirmed by the Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis (SPICE) simulation. Furthermore, the feasibility of the proposed system is verified by demonstrating the proposed system by the experiments. In the experiments, an apple is softened by discharging 3.5kV stepped-up voltage.
High Speed Operations, High Voltage Multipliers, Non-Thermal Food Processing, Step-Up Voltage Multipliers, Underwater Shockwaves.
- Stoica M, Mihalcea L, Borda D, Alexe P. Non-thermal novel food processing technologies: An overview. Agroalimentary Processes and Technologies. 2013; 19(2).
- Sunka P. Pulse electrical discharges in water and their applications. Phys Plasmas. 2001; 8(5).
- Sakugawa T, Yamaguchi T, Yamamoto K, Choi J, Kiyan T, Namihira T, Katsuki S, Akiyama H. Generation of streamer discharge plasma in water by all solid-state pulsed power. IEEJ Trans FM. 2006; 126(7).
- Hanashiro S, Higa K, Matsui T, Matsubara R, Higa O, Itoh S. Measurement of discharged energy and pressure of underwater shockwave changing materials of contact switch in high voltage power supply. Materials Science Forum. 2013; 767.
- Miyafuji Y, Shimojima K, Tanaka S, Naha K, Aka T, Maehara H, Itoh S. Development of the pressure vessel for manufacturing the rice-powder using the underwater shockwave. Proceedings of the ASME 2011 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference; Maryland, USA. 2011 Jul 17-21.
- Higa O, Higa K, Matsubara R, Matsui T, Itoh S. Shock wave generation and study of discharge characteristics for food processing. IEEE Proceedings of Technical Meeting on Pulsed Power Technology; Japan. 2012 May 17-18. Yamagata, Japan
- Lamantia A, Maranesi P, Radrizzani L. The dynamics of the Cockcroft-Walton voltage multi-plier. Proceedings of IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference; Texas, USA. 1990 Jun 11-14.
- Abe K, Oota I, Do WL, Eguchi K. Synthesis of a high stepup bipolar voltage multiplier using level shift drivers. Proceedings of 2016 6th International Workshop on Computer Science and Engineering; Tokyo, Japan. 2016 Jun 17-19.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.