Total views : 117
Analysis of Timing and Frequency Offset Estimation of OFDM System using Scaled Precision Model
Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiplexing (OFDM) is a robust multi carrier modulation system most commonly used in many wireless communication standards. The overall OFDM system performance is stable over signal distortions caused by multipath fading channels but synchronization problems caused significant quality degradation at receiver side. In recent years many papers have been published to mitigate this synchronization problem still the overall system performance is getting worsened due error caused by fixed point model. In this paper we analyzed the limitations of the fixed point computations in timing and frequency offset estimation and its performance in terms of error rate. Here we carry out both analytical approach and statistical results obtained through extensive numerical simulations and the bit length of floating point IEEE 754 standard single precision formats is optimized with the required degree for an accurate offset estimation to reduce OFDM design complexity. Also, a unique floating point precision model for error less FFT computations for all mapping levels used in OFDM system. The proposed scaled floating point precision model is compared over full precision model and its efficiency against fixed point model in OFDM synchronization process is proved through MATLAB simulations. Finally through FPGA hardware synthesis the complexity reduction of proposed scaled precision model is proved in basic arithmetic models such as adder and multiplier against single precision format. Here we proved the resource utilization rate is reduced by half as compared to standard full precision models without compromising any quality degradations. The computational error free nature of proposed scaled precision model in both timing and frequency offset estimation process and its overall OFDM system performance in terms of BER rate is proved.
Customization, Fast Fourier Transform, Floating Point Aithmetic, OFDM, Synchronization.
- Moose, Paul H. A technique for orthogonal frequency division multiplexing frequency offset correction. IEEE Transactions on communications. 1994; 42(10):2908–14. Crossref
- Van de Beek, Jan-Jaap, Magnus Sandell, and Per Ola Borjesson. ML estimation of time and frequency offset in OFDM systems. IEEE transactions on signal processing. 1997; 45(7):1800–05. Crossref
- Minn, Hlaing, Vijay K, Bhargava, and Khaled Ben Letaief. A robust timing and frequency synchronization for OFDM systems. IEEE transactions on wireless communications. 2003; 2(4):822–39. Crossref
- Schmidl, Timothy M, Donald C, Cox. Robust frequency and timing synchronization for OFDM. IEEE transactions on communications. 1997; 45(12):1613–21. Crossref
- Song, Hyoung-Kyu, Young-Hwan You, Jong-Ho Paik, and Yong-Soo Cho. Frequency-offset synchronization and channel estimation for OFDM-based transmission. IEEE Communications Letters 4. 2000; 3:95–7. Crossref
- Ghogho, Mounir, and Ananthram Swami. Frame and frequency acquisition for OFDM. IEEE Signal Processing Letters. 2008; 15:605–08. Crossref
- Abdzadeh-Ziabari, Hamed, and Mahrokh G. Shayesteh.
- A novel preamble-based frame timing estimator for OFDM systems. IEEE Communications Letters. 2012; 16(7):1121-24. Crossref
- Cvetkovic, Zoran, Vahid Tarokh, and Seokho Yoon. On frequency offset estimation for OFDM. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2013; 12(3):1062–72. Crossref
- Tufvesson, Fredrik, Ove Edfors, and Mike Faulkner. Vehicular Technology Conference, 1999. VTC 1999-Fall. IEEE VTS 50th: Time and frequency synchronization for OFDM using PN-sequence preambles. IEEE. 1999; 4:2203–07.
- Yip, Kun-Wah, Yik-Chung Wu, and Tung-Sang Ng. Timing-synchronization analysis for IEEE 802.11 a wireless LANs in frequency-nonselective Rician fading environments. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2004; 3(2): 387–94. Crossref
- Larsson, Erik G, Guoqing Liu, Jian Li, and Georgios B, Giannakis. Joint symbol timing and channel estimation for OFDM based WLANs. IEEE Communications Letters. 2001; 5(8):325–27. Crossref
- Lopez-Martinez, Javier F, Eduardo Martos-Naya, Jose T Entrambasaguas, and Maria Garcia-Abril. Low complexity synchronization and frequency equalization for OFDM systems. IEEE: 14th IEEE International Conference: Electronics, Circuits and Systems, 2007. ICECS 2007. 2007; p. 987–90.
- Yip, Kun-Wah, Yik-Chung Wu, and Tung-Sang Ng. Design of multiplierless correlators for timing synchronization in IEEE 802.11 a wireless LANs. IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics. 2003; 49(1):107–14. Crossref
- Pham, Thinh H, Suhaib A Fahmy, and Ian Vince McLoughlin. Low-power correlation for IEEE 802.16 OFDM synchronization on FPGA. IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems. 2013; 21(8):1549–53. Crossref
- Morelli, Michele, and Marco Moretti. Joint maximum likelihood estimation of CFO, noise power, and SNR in OFDM systems. IEEE Wireless Communications Letters. 2013; 2(1):42–45. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.