Total views : 174
Efficiency of Trigonometric and Eigen Function Methods for Simulating Ocean Wave Profile
The series representation of ocean wave surface elevation profile using an existing spectral energy density can be achieved by linear superposition of terms in an expansion. This study demonstrates that the use of Karhunen-Loeve (K-L) expansion in which the eigenfunctions of Prolate Spheroidal Wave Functions (PSWFs) are used can be correlated with Fourier and constrained new wave approach in terms of computer cost required (3.225x103s, 3.0615x103s and 1.3221x104s respectively) in the wave simulation (maximum difference of 0.007% and minimum of 0.077%). It have also been demonstrated that the use of K-L with PSWFs can significantly reduce the number of the terms required to represent the wave which can greatly reduce the computational effort required in the statistical analysis of response from large offshore structures.
Fourier Coefficients, K-L-PSWFs, Wave Simulation
- Chakrabarti SK. Hydrodynamics of offshore structures.Computational Mechanics Publications, Illinois; 1987. p.1–435.
- Tucker MJ, Pitt EG. Waves in ocean engineering. Elsevier.2001 Oct 30; 5(1):1–548.
- Cassidy MJ, Taylor RE, Houlsby GT. Analysis of jack-up units using a constrained new wave methodology. Applied Ocean Research. 2001 Aug; 23(4):221–34.
- Sclavounos PD. Karhunen-Loeve representation of stochastic ocean waves. Proceedings of The Royal Society A Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences. 2012 Sep; 468(2145):2574–94.
- Phoon KK, Huang HW, Quek ST. Comparison between Karhunen-Loeve and wavelet expansions for simulation of Gaussian processes. Computers and Structures. 2004 May; 82(13–14):985–91.
- Mirzadeh J, Kimiaei M, Cassidy MJ. Effects of irregular nonlinear ocean waves on the dynamic performance of an example jack-up structure during an extreme event. Marine Structures. 2016 Sep; 49:148–62.
- Tucker MJ, Challenor PG, Carter DJT. Numerical simulation of a random sea: a common error and its effect upon wave group statistics. Applied Ocean Research. 1984 Apr; 6(2):118–22.
- Sharma N, Dean RG. Second-order directional sales and associated wave forces. Society of Petroleum Engineers Journal. 1981 Feb; 21(1):129–40.
- Schuëller GI, Pradlwarter HJ, Schenk CA. Non-stationary response of large linear FE models under stochastic loading.Computer and Structures.2003 May; 81(8–11):937–47.
- Slepian D. Prolate spheroidal wave functions, Fourier analysis and uncertainty - V: The discrete case. The Bell System Technical Journal. 1978 May–Jun; 57(5):1371–430.
- Moore IC, Cada M. Prolate spheroidal wave functions, an introduction to the Slepian series and its properties.Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis. 2004 May; 16(3):208–30.
- Wang F, Sett K. Time-domain stochastic finite element simulation of uncertain seismic wave propagation through uncertain heterogeneous solids. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering. 2016 Sep; 88:369–85.
- Osipov A, Rokhlin V. On the evaluation of prolate spheroidal wave functions and associated quadrature rules.Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, Elsevier.2014 Jan; 36(1):108–42.
- Xiao H, Rokhlin V, Yarvin N. Prolate spheroidal wave functions, quadrature and interpolation. Inverse Problem. 2001; 17(4):805–38.
- Osipov A, Rokhlin V, Xiao H. Prolate spheroidal wave functions of order zero. Applied Mathematical Sciences, Springer. 2013; 187(1):1–379.
- Cassidy MJ. Non-linear analysis of jack-up structures subjected to random waves [Doctor of Philosophy thesis]. UK, University of Oxford; 1999. p. 1–230.
- Mirzadeh J, Kimiaei M, Cassidy MJ. A framework to efficiently calculate the probability of failure of dynamically sensitive structures in a random sea. Ocean Engineering.2015 Dec 1; 110(Part A):215–26.
- Mirzadeh J, Kimiaei M, Cassidy MJ. Performance of an example jack-up platform under directional random ocean waves. Applied Ocean Research. 2016 Jan; 54:87–100.
- Valdebenito MA, Jensen HA, Labarca AA, He J, Au SK, Beck JL. Estimation of first excursion probabilities for uncertain stochastic linear systems subject to Gaussian load.Computers and Structures, Elsevier. 2014 Jul 1; 138:36–48.
- He J. Numerical calculation for first excursion probabilities of linear systems. Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, Elsevier. 2009 Jul; 24(3):418–25.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.