Total views : 290
Self-curing Concrete using Baby Diapers Polymer
Quality of the construction project is very crucial issue nowadays. Sometimes works are carried out in place where there is acute shortage of water and the application of water curing is not possible for reasons of economy. There are several papers studied on internal curing agent and effect to the concrete such as from Polyethylene Glycol (PEG400), ceramic and Super Absorbent Polymer that make them beneficial for engineering and construction applications. Year by year, increasing of waste from disposable diapers will give impact to dumping area. Internal curing agent that used in this research is new diapers contain of super absorbent polymer, which becomes a gel-like substance when wet and absorb the water. Diapers are primarily worn by infants, and by children who are not yet potty trained or who experience bedwetting. In this research, it will be analyzed by investigating the workability and compressive strength impact to the concrete. Design Mix with size of cube 100 x 100 x 100mm has been testing day 3, 7, 28 and 90 days with the ratio from 0% as a control and 1%, 2%, 3%, 5% and 10%. From the result that had obtained, 1% of diapers polymers can conclude that the internal curing process can help to improve the hydration process. When the hydration process occurs, the polymer can transfer the water to all part of the concrete and to the hydration point it results the early age cracking can be preventing and promotes maximization of cement hydration, potentially contributing to increase the strength and the fluid transport coefficients can be reduced.
Compressive Strength, Diapers, Polymer, Self-curing Concrete, Workability
- Municipal solid waste in the United States; Facts and Figures for 2010. US EPA Office of Solid Waste; 2010.
- Rathje WL, Murphy C. Rubbish!: The archaeology of garbage.University of Arizona Press; 2001.
- Allsopp M. Achieving zero dioxin: An emergency strategy for dioxin elimination [Internet]. 1994 Sep. Available from: http://archive.greenpeace.org/toxics/reports/azd/azd.htm.
- Kholia R, Vyas BA, Tank TG. Effect on concrete by different curing method and efficiency of curing compounds – A review.International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology.APCBEE Procedia. 2014; 9:222–9.
- Municipal solid waste in the United States: 2007 Facts and Figures by the Office of Solid Waste, EPA. Table 15 tracks a steady increase from 1960 through 2007. 2008 Nov.
- Neville AM. Properties of concrete. Fourth and Final Edition, John Wiley and Sons, Inc.: New York, USA; 1996.
- Fauzi M. The study on the physical properties of surface layer concrete under the influence of medium temperature environments.Ph.D. Thesis, Kyushu University, Japan; 1995.
- Curing Concrete. Chapter 12. University of Memphis [Internet].Available from: http://www.ce.memphis.edu/1101/ notes/concrete/PCA_ manual/Chap12.pdf.
- Zhutovsky S, Kovler K. Effect of internal curing on durabilityrelated properties of high performance concrete.Cement and Concrete Research. 2012; 42(1):20–6. DOI: 10.1016/j.cemconres.2011.07.012.
- Hori A, Marioka M, SakaiE, Daimon M. Influence of expansive additives on autogenous shrinkage. Tazawa EI. Autogenous Shrinkage of Concrete, E. and F.N. Spon: London; 1999. p. 93–104.
- Ito H, Maruyama I, Tanimura M, Sato R. Early age deformation and resultant induced stress in expensive high strength concrete. Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology.2004; 2(2):155–74.
- Tazawa EI, Miyazawa S. Influence of constituent and composition on autogenous shrinkage of cementitous materials.Magazine of Concrete Research. 1997; 49(178):15–22.
- Jensen OM, Hansen PF. Water-entrained cement-based materials: I. Principle and theoretical background. Cement and Concrete Research. 2001; 31(4):647–54
- AzariJafari H, Kazemian A, Rahimi M, Yahia A. Effects of pre-soaked super absorbent polymers on fresh and hardened properties of self-consolidating lightweight concrete.Construction and Building Materials. 2016; 113:215–20.Sequeira K, Naik RH, Pai BHV, Naik RH. Use of Superabsorbent Polymers in Internally Cured Concrete- A Review.International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology.2015; 2(3):1593–5.
- Colon J, Mestre-Montserrat M, Puig-Ventosa I, Sánchez A.Performance of compostable baby used diapers in the composting process with the organic fraction of municipal solid waste. Waste Management. 2013; 33(5): 1097–103.
- Espinosa-Valdemar RM, Sotelo-Navarro PX, QuecholacPiña X, Beltrán-Villavicencio M, Ojeda-Benítez S, Vázquez-Morillas A. Biological recycling of used baby diapers in a small-scale composting system. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 2014; 87:153–7.
- Assmann A, Reinhardt HW. Cement and concrete research tensile creep and shrinkage of SAP modified concrete.2014; 58:179–85.
- Azarijafari H, Kazemian A, Rahimi M, Yahia A. Effects of pre-soaked super absorbent polymers on fresh and hardened properties of self- consolidating lightweight concrete.Construction and Building Materials. 2016; 113:215–20.
- Bentz DP, Weiss WJ. Internal curing: A 2010 state-of-theart review. US Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology; 2011.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.