Total views : 268
Screening Cation and Anion of Ionic Liquid for Dissolution of Silicon Dioxide using COSMO-RS
Objectives:Silicon dioxide (SiO2) is one of the common oilfield scales which is hardest scale to dissolve and there is no specific commercial chemical scale removal to dissolve SiO2. The purpose of this study to screens Ionic Liquids (ILs) that will be used in dissolution of SiO2due toscale problem in oilfield. Methods/StatisticalAnalysis:COSMO-RS since then has become a widely used and fast method for the prediction and screening of ionic liquid properties, is used for sigma profile, sigma potential and solvent capacity for metal dissolution. The best cation and anion have been chosen based on sigma profile, sigma potential and the high solvent capacity from COSMO-RS findings. Findings: Ammoniumcation and sulfate anion is the best combination with highest amount of SiO2 capacity is 7.832x1010. Ammonium sulfate is the possible ionic liquid to dissolve SiO2 scale in oilfield.
COSMO-RS, SiO2, Sigma Profile, Sigma Potential
- Elmorsey SA. Challenge and Successful Application for Scale Removal Gemsa Oil Field, Egypt : Field Study. Society of petroleum Engineers. Manama, Bahrain.2013;1–7.
- Rhudy JS. Removal of Mineral Scale from Reservoir Core by Scale Dissolver. SPE International Symposium on Oilfield Chemistry. New Orleans, Louisiana.1993;1–10. https://doi. org/10.2118/25161-MS
- Mcclatchie DW, Co BJS, Verity R, Energy FPL. The Removal of Hard Scales from Geothermal Wells : California Case Histories. Society of Petroleum Engineers. Texas. 2000; 1–7.
- Quiroga MHV, Calmeto JCN, Pinto SL, Assis CAS, Santos I. Hard Scale Mechanical Removal : A Solution for Brazilian Offshore Operations. Society of Petroleum Engineers. 2003; 1–6.
- Nasr-El-DinH, Al-Humaidan A. Iron Sulfide Scale: Formation Removal and Prevention. Society of Petroleum Engineers.United Kingdom. 2001;1–13.
- Buell RS (chevron U.S.A. Inc). Water Blasting for Scale Removal in the Rangely Weber Sand Unit. Society of petroleum Engineers Production Operations Symposium, Oklahoma City, 1989; 615–25.
- Crabtree M, Eslinger D, Fletcher P, Miller M, Johnson A, King G. Fighting Scale Removal and Prevention. Oilfield Review.11(3), 1999;30–45.
- Saadat F, Bagh G, Mjalli FS, Hashim MA, Hadj-kali MKO, Alnashef IM. Solubility of Sodium Chloride in Ionic Liquids. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 2013; 52(33):11488–93. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie401282y
- Valdés Vergara MA, Lijanova IV, Likhanova NV, Olivares Xometl O, Jaramillo Vigueras D, Morales Ramirez AJ. Recycling and recovery of ammonium-based ionic liquids after extraction of metal cations from aqueous solutions. Separation and Purification Technology. 2015;155:110–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2015.05.031
- Leyma R, Platzer S, Jirsa F, Kandioller W, Krachler R, Keppler B.K. Novel thiosalicylate-based ionic liquids for heavy metal extractions. Journal of Hazardous Material. 2016;314:164–71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2016.04.038 PMid:27131456
- Parmentier D, Paradis S, Metz SJ, Wiedmer SK, Kroon MC. Continuous process for selective metal extraction with an ionic liquid. Chemical Engineering Research and Design. 2016;109:553–60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2016.02.034
- Fan Z, Wang T, He Y. Upgrading and viscosity reducing of heavy oils by [BMIM][AlCl4] ionic liquid. Journal of Fuel Chemistry Technology. 2009; 37(6):690–3. https://doi. org/10.1016/S1872-5813(10)60015-1
- Luo Q, Lin H, Zhang YY, Peng H. Reactions of metal salts with bronsted acidic ionic liquid: Formations of imidazole template metal sulfates or imidazole-metal complexes. InorganicaChimicaActa. 2016; 447:32–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ica.2016.03.023
- Dashtbozorgi Z, Golmohammadi H, Acree WE. Prediction of gas-to-ionic liquid partition coefficient of organic solutes dissolved in 1-(2-methoxyethyl)-1-methylpyrrolidinium tris(pentafluoroethyl)trifluorophosphate using QSPR approaches. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 2015 Jan; 201:21–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2014.11.025
- Saien J, Kharazi M. A comparative study on the interface behavior of different counter anion long chain imidazolium ionic liquids. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 2016; 220:136– 41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2016.04.028
- Wellens S, Vander Hoogerstraete T, Möller C, Thijs B, Luyten J, Binnemans K. Dissolution of metal oxides in an acid-saturated ionic liquid solution and investigation of the back-extraction behaviour to the aqueous phase. Hydrometallurgy. 2014; 144-145:27–33. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.hydromet.2014.01.015
- Wlazło M,Alevizou EI, Voutsas EC, Domańska U. Prediction of ionic liquids phase equilibrium with theCOSMO-RS model. Fluid Phase Equilibria. 2016; 424:16– 31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fluid.2015.08.032
- Lotfi M, Mutalib MIA, Wilfred CD, Alitheen NB, Goto M.
- Analysis of Multiple Solvation Interactions of Methotrexate and Ammonium Based Ionic Liquids Using COSMO-RS. Procedia Engineering. 2016; 148:459–66. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.06.464
- Kamgar A, Esmaeilzadeh F. Prediction of H2S solubility in [hmim][Pf6], [hmim][Bf4] and [hmim][Tf2N] using UNIQUAC, NRTL and COSMO-RS. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 2016; 220:631–4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq. 2016.04.110
- Bavoh CB, Lal B, Nashed O, Khan MS, Lau KK, Bustam MA. COSMO-RS: An ionic liquid prescreening tool for gas hydrate mitigation. Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering. 2016; 24(11):1619–24. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.cjche.2016.07.014
- Khan MS, Liew CS, Kurnia KA, Cornelius B, Lal B. Application of COSMO-RS in Investigating Ionic Liquid as Thermodynamic Hydrate Inhibitor for Methane Hydrate. ProcediaEngineering. 2016; 148:862–9. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.06.452
- Khan I, Taha M, Pinho SP, Coutinho JAP. Interactions of pyridinium, pyrrolidinium or piperidinium based ionic liquids with water: Measurements and COSMO-RS modelling. Fluid Phase Equilibria. 2016; 414:93–100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fluid.2016.01.014
- Klamt A. COSMO-RS for aqueous solvation and interfaces. Fluid Phase Equilibria. 2016; 407:152–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fluid.2015.05.027
- Gonfa G, Bustam MA, Sharif AM, Mohamad N, Ullah S. Tuning ionic liquids for natural gas dehydration using COSMO-RS methodology. Journal of National Gas Science and Engineering. 2015; 27:1141–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2015.09.062
- Mullins E, Oldland R, Liu YA, Wang S, Sandler SI, Chen C.C, et al. Sigma-profile database for using COSMO-based thermodynamic methods. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 2006; 45(12):4389–415. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie060370h
- Ansgar S, Christian H, Reinhart A. Fully optimized contracted Gaussian basis sets of triple zeta valencequality for atoms Li to Kr. Journal of Chemical Physics. 1994; 100(8): 5829. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.467146
- Mohamed S, Van der Merwe EM, Altermann W, Doucet F.J. Process development for elemental recovery from PGM tailings by thermochemical treatment: Preliminary major element extraction studies using ammonium sulphate as extracting agent. Waste Manag. 2016; 50:334–45. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2016.02.021 PMid:26923300
- FluidChe 2017 Available from: http://fluidsche.ump.edu.my/index.php/en/
- he Center of Excellence for Advanced Research in Fluid Flow (CARIFF) Available from: http://cariff.ump.edu.my/
- Natural resources products prospects - International Conference on Fluids and Chemical Engineering FluidsChE 2017 Malaysia, ). Indian Journal of science and technology.2017; S2(1).
- University Malaysia Pahang. Available from: www.ump.edu.my
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.