Total views : 303
Ammonia-Nitrogen Recovery from Synthetic Solution using Agricultural Waste Fibers
Background/Objectives: In this study, modification of Empty Fruit Bunch (EFB) fibers as a means to recover ammonia nitrogen from a synthetic solution was investigated. Methods: The EFB fiber was modified using sodium hydroxide. Adsorption-desorption studies of ammonia nitrogen into the modified EFB fiber were investigated Findings: The increase in adsorption capacity was found to be proportional with the increase of pH up to 7, temperature and ammonia concentration. The maximum adsorption capacity is 0.53-10.89 mg/g. The attachment of ammonia nitrogen involves ion exchange-chemisorption. The maximum desorption capacity of 0.0999 mg/g. Applications: This study can be used as a baseline for designing a low cost adsorbent system for ammonia nitrogen recovery drainage and industrial wastewater as well as EFBs-palm oil mill effluent composting.
Ammonia Nitrogen, Agricultural Waste, Desorption, Empty Fruit Bunch, Nutrient Recovery.
- Landner L. Sources of nitrogen as a water pollutant: industrial waste water. Progress Water Technology. 1975; 8(4–5):55–65.
- Zahrim AY, Gilbert ML, Janaun J. Treatment of pulp and paper mill effluent using photo-fenton's process. Journal of Applied Sciences. 2007; 7(15):2164–7. https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2007.2164.2167
- Wang L–S, Hu H–Y, Wang C. Effect of ammonia nitrogen and dissolved organic matter fractions on the genotoxicity of wastewater effluent during chlorine disinfection. Environmental Science and Technology. 2007; 41(1):160–5. https://doi.org/10.1021/es0616635
- Kumar GS, Bharadwaj J, Sruthi PL, Sekhar MC. Removal of ammonia nitrogen (NH4-N) from landfill leachate by chemical treatment. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(30):1–4.
- Zahrim AY, Lija Y, Ricky LNS, Azreen I. Fruit waste adsorbent for ammonia nitrogen removal from synthetic solution: Isotherms and kinetics. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. 2016; 36(1):1–6. https:// doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/36/1/012028
- Demırak A, Keskin F, Şahın Y, Kalemcı V. Removal of ammonium from water by pine cone powder as biosorbent. Mugla Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 1(1):5–12. https://doi.org/10.22531/muglajsci.209992
- Badri KH, Juan CA, Hassan O, Mustapha WAW. Analytical approaches of determining monosaccharides from alkalinetreated palm fiber. Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences. 2015; 19(1):46–54.
- Zahrim AY, Ricky LNS, Shahril Y, Rosalam S, Nurmin B, Harun AM, Azreen I. Partly decomposed empty fruit bunch fiber as a potential adsorbent for ammonia-nitrogen from urban drainage water. Springer Singapore; 2015. p. 989–1001. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-287-290-6_86
- Chen Y, Ding L, Fan J. Ammonia-nitrogen sorptional properties of banana peels. Water Environment Research. 2011; 83(4):368–72. https://doi.org/10.2175/1061430 10X12851009156042 PMid:21553592
- Ali N, Aziz CAC, Hassan O. Alkali pretreatment and acid hydrolysis of coconut pulp and empty fruit bunch to produce glucose. Jurnal Teknologi. 2015; 74(7):7–11. https:// doi.org/10.11113/jt.v74.4687
- Jeon H, Kang K–E, Jeong J–S, Gong G, Choi J–W, Abimanyu H, Ahn BS, Suh D–J, Choi G–W. Production of anhydrous ethanol using oil palm empty fruit bunch in a pilot plant. Biomass and Bioenergy. 2014; 67:99–107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2014.04.022
- HACH. DR/2010 spectrophotometer procedures manual. Spectrophotometer Handbook, U.S.A; 2012.
- Jellali S, Wahab MA, Anane M, Riahi K, Jedidi N. Biosorption characteristics of ammonium from aqueous solutions onto Posidonia oceanica (L.) fibers. Desalination. 2011; 270(1– 3):40–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2010.11.018
- Liu H, Dong Y, Liu Y, Wang H. Screening of novel lowcost adsorbents from agricultural residues to remove ammonia nitrogen from aqueous solution. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2010; 178(1–3):1132–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.01.117 PMid:20189302
- Thornton A, Pearce P, Parsons SA. Ammonium removal from digested sludge liquors using ion exchange. Water Research. 2007; 41(2):433–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2006.10.021 PMid:17161445
- Sharifnia S, Khadivi MA, Shojaeimehr T, Shavisi Y. Characterization, isotherm and kinetic studies for ammonium ion adsorption by Light Expanded Clay Aggregate (LECA). Journal of Saudi Chemical Society. 2012; 20(S1):S342–51.
- Ma Z, Li Q, Yue Q, Gao B, Li W, Xu X, Zhong Q. Adsorption removal of ammonium and phosphate from water by fertilizer controlled release agent prepared from wheat straw. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2011; 171(3):1209–17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2011.05.027
- Zahrim AY, Asis T, Hashim MA, Al-Mizi TMTMA, Ravindra P. A review on the empty fruit bunch composting: Life cycle analysis and the effect of amendment(s). In: Advances in Bioprocess Technology, Springer; 2015. p. 3–15. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-17915-5_1
- FluidChe 2017 Available from: http://fluidsche.ump.edu.my/index.php/en/
- The Center of Excellence for Advanced Research in Fluid Flow (CARIFF) Available from: http://cariff.ump.edu.my/
- Natural resources products prospects - International Conference on Fluids and Chemical Engineering FluidsChE 2017 Malaysia, ). Indian Journal of science and technology.
- ; S2(1).
- University Malaysia Pahang. Available from: www.ump.edu.my
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.